Cosplayers, how do you get to comic-con?

The14thDr

Sr Member
Something I’ve always wondered, and I imagine a lot of members would be able to share their own experiences on:

To all you cosplayers, how do you get to events/comic-con with your costumes? Do you wear them on the journey or change when you get to the con?

If you go as Iron Man, how do you transport the armour? If you go as Spider-Man, what do you do with your civilian clothes after you change?

What about public transport? I bet you would attract a few funny stares climbing onto the bus in a Spider-Man costume or a full suit of Iron Man armour! :D

P.S. Another thing I always wondered about Spider-Man cosplay/spandex costumes in general: how do you keep warm? I imagine even in the summer, walking around wearing nothing but a layer of thin, skin-tight material must leave you pretty exposed to the elements. And I’m guessing it’s difficult to wear any extra layers underneath as they’d show up through the costume and ruin the effect.

I look forward to hearing all your stories and experiences on this!

For Big costumes - I get as close to the con as I can parking wise and then suit up (especially if I am on stilts or something)
My wife however will just go about life as normal in her costume.

Last con we went to she stopped in chic-fil-a in full on Gamora and while we were their probably 15 kids came to take pictures with her.

As far as being in public outside the con It's fun you get to feel a little like a celeb while also having the anonymity of not looking like you normally would.

We had one local one that 3 people I work with got pictures with me having no idea it was me- until I said "see you at work "

Something not talked about a lot. When my wife and I started doing this I would never have guessed how many parking lots/garages I've changed in. We do more than a few cons where we drive 75-90 miles for the only Saturday in neighboring cities, which we've found works well for us. We live in the Cincinnati area and can get to Columbus, Indianapolis, Louisville and Lexington in 2 hours or less which allows us to get to many cons very cost-effectively each year.

I'll wear as much as I can comfortably and/or without getting too sweaty for the drive, then finish getting dressed when we arrive. I have pumped gas or stopped for food in-costume or partial costume before, which can be fun/funny.

I have always wondered about that as well--like if you are going as iron man how do you go about transporting your costume if you wanted to fly? I don't live near any cons and drove to Denver one year and realized I'd rather fly next time, but have yet figured out how to do an iron man costume that can get through airport security. :p

Back on the scifi show, heroes of cosplay, I saw a few folks used those large plastic tool chest from home depot and lowes. I've used them for hauling gear and they are super easy to use with large handles and wheels. Not sure what checking fees would be but everything is in a hard protective shell you can haul to your room if you travel

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

My big con is Denver Comic Con, and I’m fortunate to be just a short train ride from the convention center.

I typically dress before getting on the train. Normally, wearing a Spidey suit or Stormtrooper armor on public transit would draw attention, but during a con, there are more people dressed up on the train than not.

Sean

Depending on what costume I’m wearing I either wear it while commuting/driving there or if the costume is impossible to wear comfortably on the train I bring it in a box or bag and get changed at the con and leave my civilian clothes in the bag/box at the coat check

Lately our big Dallas Comic Con has been Downtown and I hate driving there with a passion. I did my first con costume this year as movie Wonder Woman. I drove to a train station in costume and took the train to the convention. Oh the stares LOL. Driving in foam Wonder Woman armor was not easy either!

Most cons I go to are as a working member of a costume club, so I pack my kit in its travel case and change at the venue. As a regular Joe attending, I tend to wear "lesser" costumes I can wear (most of) it there, and finish up on site.

Since bony answered the question about temperature in spandex, it just won’t play nice with you. I own a bunch of Spidey Suits, and in the summer, they’re extremely hot... which you’d think would be good for winter. Except for they’re freezing in the winter... think of it as the venom symbiote but instead of trying to get you to be evil, it just makes you uncomfortable temperature wise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My main costume is Vader and we all know Vader is a no go for dressing before I leave! It is a challenge to find places to change at. One con use to have a cosplay room but that changed when it grew and they could not afford the space for changing. Now its usually bathrooms or nearby hotels that will let us change. Then I throw my stuff in my car. As ROTJ Luke I can just get dress and drive there.

My main costume is Vader and we all know Vader is a no go for dressing before I leave! It is a challenge to find places to change at. One con use to have a cosplay room but that changed when it grew and they could not afford the space for changing. Now its usually bathrooms or nearby hotels that will let us change. Then I throw my stuff in my car. As ROTJ Luke I can just get dress and drive there.

If you are a 501st member, they will usually have a private changing area. If you are a prospective member, and ask nicely, they may let you use that room to kit up. Get in touch with your local garrison, get to know them a bit before just showing up at their table and asking. Unofficial members and costume wranglers are always welcome.

In town cons stay nearby hotel one night out of town suitcase just for costume, this year Dragoncon , one suitcase 2 outfits one suitcase regular clothes , carryon for breakable helmet props to secure travel ..... close to town , dress in a bathroom after you buy lunch from the restaurant

I generally tend to be smart about my cosplays...so the majority I can wear en route, then put the rest on when I arrive after parking...

lycra isn't an issue as man made materials keep you quite warm...

but ive never had any issues with costumes going to cons...

I cosplay as Walter White, so just hiding the Pork Pie hat and 4 pound bag of fake meth isn't too hard. Summer is a little rough because of the jacket. I've tried to do the yellow environmental suit but its extremely hot, even in October in DC. I've had some folks come up for photos which is OK. Sometimes I make them "SAY MY NAME" before the photo. I work at a Gov't agency that has a Halloween dress up thing, so it's fun coming to work, and saying hello to the Security guards, while I carry that bag of fake meth!

For the one con I was in a cumbersome costume for, I wore the pants & shirt in the car to the parking garage, then suited up in the garage, and walked the two blocks or so to the con. Honestly, not ideal, but that was essentially my only option.

For my thor costume i packed it in a big suitcase and for white ranger i placed the helmet in my backpack, had the suit on underneath my clothes and have the rest in a carrier bag that was inside the shield which made it easy to carry as the handles poked out of the neck hole and both times i was on a train

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back