Matt Groening's Disenchantment

Surprised no one’s chimed in yet, on this one.

Just finished watching the first ten episodes and thought it was excellent. Definitely more Futurama than Simpsons, and it seems MG has tried to do something different, which apparently has upset a lot of critics because it isn’t The Simpsons!

Thought the characters were likeable and original, plenty of jokes and visual gags (think GOT mixed with Monty Python and the Holy Grail) and, in my opinion, really well written with some surprisingly touching bits in the last couple of episodes.

I know this one has divided critics, seems you’re either going to love it or hate it, but I seriously hope it’s allowed to develop and we see plenty of further seasons.

Yea, I finished the series the other day, and it's a lot of fun. Around the middle of the series, the main story line just kind of up and disappears for a few episodes, then pops back up; which had me a little thrown. But other than that, it's "greatest sin" is that it's from MG, which means most folks' expectations are simply going to be too high; folks going into this thinking they're going to replicate 7 seasons worth of futurama "joy" in one season, will be let down. the show is definitely on par with futurama season for season though.

I'm mixed on this show myself. The first episode was a bit of a rough entry but the second picks up with the jokes and it alternates for the rest of the episodes. I think my overall problem with the show is with some of the voice acting/direction and the audio mix. The former, some of the delivery falls flat and the jokes don't land; the latter, occasionally the characters don't sound like they're talking to one another, like they're audio bites spliced together. Same goes for the music and foley. It just sounds off to me.

The writing isn't all there for me, either. Especially with Teabeanie. With her, I'm reminded of the line the Robot Devil says in "Devil's Hands are Idle Playthings," "This play lacks subtlety! You can't have your characters going around saying how they feel! That makes me angry!!" Between her going on benders, this is all she does. The subplot with Elfo and Bean also appears out of nowhere and something I didn't buy for the rest of the show.

Though where it falls, it also lands. I love whoever voices Bunty and anything Matt Berry is in makes it better. I got some really good belly laughs at some of their lines and the sight gags that riddle every episode.

Though where it falls, it also lands. I love whoever voices Bunty and anything Matt Berry is in makes it better. I got some really good belly laughs at some of their lines and the sight gags that riddle every episode.

Lucy Montgomery, who voices Bunty, is a reasonably well known comic actress in the UK, having done loads of TV.

In fact, if you’ve ever seen ‘The IT Crowd’, her and Matt Berry are in a fantastic episode (‘The Speech’) where they become a couple (obviously with hilarious consequences!).

I'm 7 or 8 episodes in, and am enjoying it enough to keep going.

But the scoring is horrible. Not that the music is bad as music---it's bad as a SCORE. It feels like a temp score pasted on a work-in-progress: it does not follow, support or enhance what's happening onscreen, which does not help some of the pacing issues the show has. I wonder how experienced the directors are.

Started watching last night. It’s not laugh right off your sofa brilliant, but it’s still great, on par with Futurama. If people are griping about it, they need to check their egos and expectations. I think it’s fine. (Disclosure: only 1.5 epis into my viewing.)

Addendum: okay, by episodes 4, 5, 6 it gets laugh right off my couch funny. “Faster Princess! Kill! Kill!” was a hoot.

Last edited:
I liked it, and I think that just like Futurama and the Simpsons, it needs to find its footing, neither show had their best season when they started. Merkimer and the mermaids/walruses still makes me chuckle for sure.

We finished the series on Friday. Really enjoyed it, overall. I think one of the weird things about it was that the plots were both serial and episodic. Having been used to the episodic nature of Groening's previous shows, it felt a little weird. But I did think it was cool that he seemed to be going somewhere new with that.

Quite the cliffhanger, though - and I'm eager to see where this goes next!

There have been a few gags that were rather "Family Guy" in nature (which is a very bad thing), where they just maintaining or repeating a gag over and over and over and over again over a minute or so. That has never been funny.

... That has never been funny.

Except to all the people who find it funny. A show built off those kinds of jokes doesn't amuse me personally, but every now and then works for me; and you'll find tons of folks in this world that live for it so, so you. it's funny, just not to you.

I'd say objectively it's not funny, but there's a group that finds that type of thing funny.

Like Will Ferrel movies. I can't fathom how they make any money at this point, but some still plunk down money to watch. I really don't get it.

Well I've got a prediction about the second half of the season. putting it in spoilers in case I'm right.

Queen Dagmar is a white mouse or mouse-like creature turned human to carry out whatever her plan is. This makes Bean half mouse, explaining the white hair and buck teeth. I think Bean is going to have the magic removed at some point (dis-enchanted, if you will) turning her into a Mouse Hybrid person.

I thought it was okay. I'll watch the next season if they make it. Could do without the obnoxiously loud horn music.

@Lightning
Dagmar has the same white hair, but no buck teeth.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back