By the seat of my pants: Commercial Towing Vehicle Nostromo Scratchbuild

glorbes

Hi there,

It's been ages since I posted anything here, but some of you may remember my 1:10 scale TOS Enterprise Bridge, and my scratch built Enterprise.

My approach to modeling is more of the "close enough" variety, and I admire those that strive for extreme accuracy. I have never had the fortitude or the patience for such an approach, and usually do enough research and compile enough reference to scratch build a model that is recognizable and has decent proportions, but also allows for me to hammer out a model in short installments a time while solving problems and challenges on the fly.

I now have three kids, and life is busy, so it has been ages since I really sat down and tackled modeling project of any complexity. Recently, I went on a bit of a focused Alien kick (a movie and series that I have always loved), and decided to tackle my long gestating desire to create a large model of the Nostromo.

This build is all styrene and trial and error. This is what I have thus far after about month and a half:
eWBvq33.jpg

77Psuis.jpg

1F51eNU.jpg

VTds93E.jpg

The rough geometry is there, and it's a matter of lots of puttying, sanding, detailing, and doing the various sub-assemblies of the engines. It's about 20" long, and has a mighty sturdy internal structure. The base is a sheet of 1/8" thick styrene, which was a bear to cut out, and the build-up is mostly 1/16" (060) styrene sheet.

Anyway, I hope to have regular updates as it progresses.

Thanks for the encouragement and kind responses to the progress thus far!

Quick update: I did a lot of puttying and sanding this weekend, which meant I could start the paneling and texturing! This is always lots of fun.

U58qYuU.jpg

Not quite as exquisite as spraying that first coat of primer, but perhaps only second to that. Can't wait to delve into the engines and landing gear detailing AWWW YEAH.

Pre-paneling:
OJh2WVx.jpg

jqyfKds.jpg

iMVI7pO.jpg

Last edited:
The commercial kits I've looked at just don't look "right" to my eyes. Somehow, even at this stage, yours does!
Tommie

I love these "interpretive" builds. It's the best of both worlds - it's instantly recognizable, yet with detail variations that say, "Hey, this is something 'new'". Just as satisfying for us observers as it is for you as a builder, I imagine. This looks fantastic!

Paneled the starboard side of the Nostromo, and started detailing the dorsal hitch. Also added the primary boosters (re-purposed smokeless ash trays).

umQDrZJ.jpg

fKWxZdW.jpg

Xx3A0ac.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I love these "interpretive" builds. It's the best of both worlds - it's instantly recognizable, yet with detail variations that say, "Hey, this is something 'new'". Just as satisfying for us observers as it is for you as a builder, I imagine. This looks fantastic!

"Interpretive"...I like that.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back