Star Trek "The Cage/Where No Man has Gone Before" Laser Pistol - Think Jedi's WIP

Think Jedi

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I drew up another one of my favorite props in SolidWorks and protyped it on my FDM 3D printer at a .1mm layer height. Check it out:

I produced the laser pistol in several pieces...the two halves of the pistol, the two rings and muzzle, the trigger, and the 2 gear greeblies mounted on the rear of the pistol. The trigger works and I've constructed the shell so that electronics can be fitted. The muzzle pops off for access when necessary. I added the brass tubing and the acrylic rods for the muzzle. The ring turns like the original prop (although it doesn't control anything). My understanding is that's how the original prop worked.

I drew this up based on the measurements shown on the one pic I found on the net, then used several close-up images of the actual prop that someone posted to one of their blogs. Let me know what you think!

tJ

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all. I love working on these. While I'm OK at at prop finishing, there are plenty of people that have the attention to detail to make these things really pop. I love doing the CAD as each project I approach represents a different challenge. This one, requiring several parts, interesting features (knurling, gear teeth), and the addition of found objects, was by far the most challenging project so far. I'm thinking of offering this as a kit.

tJ

Last edited:
Here's what it looks like before putting it together and finishing it off. I'm making a few tweaks with the internals to make it more electronics-friendly.

tJ

kit3.jpgkit1.jpgkit2.jpg

Fantastic! I'm really digging this! I just bought a used Playmates Captain Pike Laser pistol toy. I'm planning on re-working it into the Where No Man Has Gone Before version. I know it's proportions are off, but it's a nice, cheap starting point. I'm having trouble getting a source for the gear greeblies. Any suggestions?

My plan is to offer the gears from this kit as a separate item. These would be printed in resin on an SLA printer, so the quality will be excellent. Keep in mind that every printed part of the kit I show above was done in PLA. The resin printer output will be stunning, requiring very little finishing work. I'll include the little tiny screws that go in the big gear as well.

tJ

My plan is to offer the gears from this kit as a separate item. These would be printed in resin on an SLA printer, so the quality will be excellent. Keep in mind that every printed part of the kit I show above was done in PLA. The resin printer output will be stunning, requiring very little finishing work. I'll include the little tiny screws that go in the big gear as well.

tJ
Fantastic! I'm looking forward to it!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yes, they are analyzing our failed prints. In the meantime they have had us take apart the glass/mirror assembly to clean it. We found that there was some fogging that may have been the culprit. We will be doing test prints again tomorrow.

tJ

Yeah, it looks like we have to send the printer in for a repair, which will cost some $$. Not thrilled about that, but we don't really have any other choices. The main body of this can be done on an FDM printer and be made to look good, but I want the rings and other greeblies to be done on an SLA printer. I know there are people that want the gear greeblies as well, so once we get the printer back, we should be able to produce them in resin.

I have a few tweaks to make to the internal trigger assembly in order to accommodate some electronics. More to come!

tJ

Something about it seems off...maybe the trigger. Or maybe I just need to rewatch the episode. I thought the original "The Cage" episode (original pilot) used the earlier design without the greebly.

Something about it seems off...maybe the trigger. Or maybe I just need to rewatch the episode. I thought the original "The Cage" episode (original pilot) used the earlier design without the greebly.

Oh I'm sure it's not 100% accurate...I'm working with pictures only. But I think I got it pretty darn close. As far as the greeblies go, yes, the original pilot did not use the greeblies. I have two versions of this pistol...one with the greeblies (the later episodes) and one without. I haven't produced that latter yet as I wanted to get the details worked out on the main pistol body, which both versions share.

tJ

Thanks for the kind words! I love the challenge!

tJ
Greetings…. First of all, I think you did a wonderful job on this Pistol.

I realize this thread is over 3 years old….but I’d like to know if the gear greeblies file(s) (hopefully STL’s) are available, presently, anywhere to download for free like Thingverse, etc..?

I’m putting together a cosplay ensemble based on Cage/WNMHGB which includes the “Laser Pistol” … I also have the Playmates version of the pistol that I want to modify to include your gear greeblies rendition.

Peace

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back