Iron Heart - Iron Bot Replica from Invincible Iron Man Issue 595

taibhse

Ok, Hope this is the correct section to post this into, I've recently finished a custom replica I've built based off of a robot seen in issue 595 of Invincible Iron Man. Here is a snippet of the robot from the comics.

Screenshot (27).png Invincible_Iron_Man_Vol_1_595.jpg

This little guy I intended to model and 3D print rather than try and sculpt or build using woods and plastics to get the shape, I wanted a challenge and something to show off the quality of projects I can do using my 3D printer.

cad stage.JPG cad stage 3.JPG cad stage 4.JPG

Everything for this little guy was modeled up in CAD as a single part rather than an assembly, I opted for this route to use solid bodies instead to differentiate actual parts rather than having to hop between multiple part files to get the geometry correct.

cad stage 2.JPG

I made sure to keep reference material close by to try and get this guy as accurate as possible. Going from 2D drawings to a real 3D piece isnt always easy with some designs not always being possible to convert over 100% but I was happy that this guy gave no issues at all.

DSC_2274.JPGDSC_2275.JPG

Don't know why these images are sideways, if only my printer (this is my printer) could print at extreme angles like this. But anyways, after all the modeling was done, I started with printing the arms, turns out they had the fastest print time.

DSC_2276.JPGDSC_2280.JPGDSC_2281.JPG

Heres some shots of the pieces fresh off the printer, I did the fingers after and for anyone curious about the notes, I was coding and designing a social media management program for my accounts, turns out hootsuite is wwwwaaaaaayyyyyy too expensive for a budding prop and replica designer to afford monthly.

DSC_2278.JPG

Next up for print was the mask, did this in two halves at the same time, ran out of pla mid print and failed to get the full piece, lucky enough could measure where the print ended, drop the models in simplify 3d and print the missing sections easy enough saving 10 hours of printing and wasting half a reel of plastic.

DSC_2293.JPG

After I printed the legs, I started getting worried about the weight of this guy, I wanted to display him on a floating shelf when he was done so pictured here is me "borrowing" the weighing scales to try and estimate what the end weight would be. I had estimated a total possible weight of 4kg at this point.

DSC_2296.JPG DSC_2300.JPG DSC_2302v2.jpg

As more pieces came off the printer, the scale of this guy was really becoming apparent, given the comics didn't list accurate sizes or stats for this guy, best I could do was estimate a size based on how big they where compared with peoples heads and here is a view showing the size so far compared to my head.

DSC_2336.JPGDSC_2338_cropped_copy_by_media_manager.JPGDSC_2339.JPG

Unfortunately I ran out of black PLA before finishing all the pieces so switched to ABS which was 10 times harder to print at this scale in the cold weather. Luckily it worked out.

DSC_2340.JPGDSC_2341.JPGDSC_2342.JPGDSC_2344.JPG

Heres some pictures of my dogs investigating what this robot is, not shown is the moment Cheeky (the name of the Black dog) rushing the robot knocking him over.

Continuing this submission in a new post due to image post limit,

DSC_2355.JPG

When I finished the 3D printing portion of this project, I got the opportunity to show of the work so far at a STEM meeting in my town, the little guy wound up being the centre of attention for a majority of the time with people wondering how he was made and what was used to make him.

DSC_2349.JPGDSC_2350.JPGDSC_2352.JPG

After the STEM meeting it was back to work, decided to weigh this guy and see how far off he was from the earlier prediction of kg, turns out a total weight of 1.5kg, likely due to lowering the infill percentage for all parts printed at a later stage.

DSC_2366.JPGDSC_2367.JPG

My next aim was to get Iron Bot as smooth as possible before painting, I tried bot xtc-3d and rubber paint to see if they would provide a quick smooth surface.
Spoiler they didn't, xtc-3d provided a better surface but required alot of sanding while the rubber paint just peeled off.

DSC_2375.JPGDSC_2376.JPG DSC_2374.JPGDSC_2373.JPGDSC_2377.JPG

It came down to alot of sanding, filler and sacrificial coats of paint to get everything smooth, I had to also tear the body apart into sections to make sanding and smoothing easier before gluing all back together again. I has also only used hot glue for a first assembly so on second go I used gorilla glue to ensure a solid bond.

DSC_2379.JPGDSC_2378.JPGDSC_2380.JPG

Heres some shots showing the process of smoothing and reassembling the bot.

MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1526236981730.jpg_1526236988273.jpegMSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1525295620473.jpg_1525295624653.jpegMSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1526745629473.jpg_1526745639353.jpeg

Before putting final paint on the main body, I used one of the arms as a test piece to see what colours I'd like to use. I used a Montana can of spray to get the gold with a generic silk gloss clear coat over it, the red I used Rustoleum Cherry Red.

DSC_2421_cropped_copy_by_media_manager.JPGDSC_2422.JPG

Everything received a final base grey primer before being painted.

DSC_2372.JPG

I used a large box container to protect all parts while they dried in order to minimize dust and insects ruining the finished coats of paint.

DSC_2450.JPGDSC_2451.JPGDSC_2452.JPG

At this stage I had everything finished but the mask which required 3 attempts to get a final acceptable finish.

DSC_2510.JPG

I had originally hoped to get this guy finished and sent in for print into one of the Invincible Iron Man comics before the run was done but unfortunately missed the deadline by a few weeks, but there was a silver lining in the end.

pretty cool! nice modelling. any thought of what to do with it? Would be pretty cool to fit a Google Home or Amazon Echo to have it as an actual assistant.

cad stage 3.JPGuntitled.236.jpg Snapchat-574965760v2.jpg

From start to finish in 3 pictures with CAD, test rendering and a final picture of me with my new creation. I posted the last picture up on social media,

Screenshot_20180605-224424.pngScreenshot_20180606-184727.png

I tweeted the photo to Brian Michael Bendis since I missed the chance to send the picture in for publishing into the comics and to my amazement he got to see it and responded, even Stefano Caselli the artist of the Iron Man comic run responded. this little guy is now a one of a kind piece I am happy to have worked on and get to add to my personal collection of props and display pieces.

- - - Updated - - -

pretty cool! nice modelling. any thought of what to do with it? Would be pretty cool to fit a Google Home or Amazon Echo to have it as an actual assistant.

I'm honestly tempted to actually make a mould of him and cast a thinner shell, see if I could fit a motherboard and small pc inside of him to use as a media server, that or turn him into a storage system for 2 or 3 hard drives on the network.

Fantastic work all around! And that's super cool that both BMB and Caselli responded. Any chance you'd consider sharing the 3D file on Thingiverse or the like?

Throw a Raspberry PI in it...

Or make it into a prop... blinkies, sounds....etc..

Great job!

I might just do this, I'm waiting to find a nice display shelf for him to stand on over my desk, might make a clear acrylic stand then to make him look like he's floating and add some lights then.

- - - Updated - - -

Fantastic work all around! And that's super cool that both BMB and Caselli responded. Any chance you'd consider sharing the 3D file on Thingiverse or the like?

I was delighted to get the response, especially after already missing the time frame to get a pic published in one of the comics, maybe next time, as for releasing the files, I've actually posted them to cgtrader here https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-print-m...assistants-from-invincible-iron-man-issue-595

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back