Can You Safely Use Masks After Using Hairspray/Chipping Fluids?

Rahn420

When using chipping fluids/hairspray, for chipping effects... can you mask over your base color and not peel it up when you remove the mask (tape, latex, etc.).

Do these chipping techniques created a weak layer that wont hold up to mask removal? Is it only fragile when wet?

I have only used hair spray (haven't tried the chipping fluid yet), but it seems like it's only fragile when wet. I haven't had a trouble with it pulling up when dry.

Depending on the scenario, I will also sometimes dampen the back of the masking tape to reduce the adhesive if the surface is particularly fragile.

I would recommend using a clear sealer to protect your work before you start masking it off to add more layers, ect. And give it a good 24 hours to cure before you start masking it off.

Yes, I love to use the old hairspray/ kosher salt method. And you can mask over it no problem. Just think about the layers before hand. Usually dark to light. In some cases one might have three layers or more including liquid mask. The effect is great.

If your in doubt just practice on a piece of scrap styrene until you are confident with the desired results.

I've never tried the hairspray thing, but salt works really well. I used some of Micro Mark's liquid mask years ago on a Revell Slave I and I had to scrape it off with a knife to remove it.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back