Form2 printed Oblivion's Jack Harper rifle

USS Endeav

Sr Member
This rifle started out as a 3D file created for sale by a 3D artist for use in video games or post editing in a video short.
It was not as the artist stated, not print optimized or print ready.

I used Zbrush to convert to dynamesh then merge to closed geometry. Then converted the model to a thin walled geo. Splice the model the way I needed for printing. Then remesh for a clean tri geometry.

I added a few features not present in the original model like the functioning rotating stock and a sliding action to the left side where the ejection port might be.
I'm not a gun collector so I have no idea what this slide is called or its purpose.

It took about 4 days with two printed working 'round the clock @.50 (yes, I kept the plastic on my printers in case I spill any resin on them!)

I'm still tweaking the scope and barrel innards and printing the smaller details like the front grip and side dials.

Form2 2.jpg

IMG_0171.jpgIMG_0170.jpgIMG_0172.jpgIMG_0173.jpgIMG_0174.jpgIMG_0176.jpgIMG_0177.jpg

What's the total print time for something like that on the Form 2? I can get great results from my FDM printer if I dial it down to 0.04mm layers and use a .2mm nozzle, but print times become impossible.

The front barrel for example, is printed in 4 pieces. Two for the upper light grey and 2 for the lower darker grey.
All four are printed at the same time @.50 and took 27 hours.
The longest was 34 hours for the mid section upper pieces.

If I use the .10 setting it reduces the barrel to 18 hours but I prefer the smoother finish. I really like the .01 but I'm not willing
to wait two days and I have to remove and smooth out the support areas so the .01 isn't sparing me that effort, just costing
more time.

This is fresh off the printer, only bathed in 90% IPA and wiped down to remove excess. The barrel has a line that is likely due to
me needing to change the tray, it was starting to develop the cloudy haze from use.

IMG_0178.jpgIMG_0179.jpg

Damn thats smooth D:

Im FDM printing my tricorder parts and i have to do tons of post work to smooth them out

MangyDog

I have an FDM printer so I can relate. I used it for a few years before its limitations were holding back the kinds of projects I wanted to tackle.

xl97

Work envelope? the print size? roughly 5x5x6 so I have to bifurcate parts in such a way to be print friendly without intersecting details areas.
Luckily this prop isn't abundant in small details.

joberg

Thanks! All the credit goes to the guys from MIT!

I do so love these Form2 printers. I was turned on to a knock off printer, the Photon. Similiar to SLA but a small print bed. It does print very nice
and prints a bit faster. The resins are harder to source though.

EDIT:

The second print, which benefited from the first print pictured here is going to be finished to the same level before being sent to a pro shop to be molded. The smaller parts will be printed but the bulk will be resin cast. As a trusted source told me, the archivability of photopolymer resins hasn't been established.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back