1:1 Mangalore (Fifth Element) head sculpt- WIP

Jediknightandy

just wanted to share updates here of my sculpt I am working on, its a Mangalore from the Fifth Element. My plan is to make a latex mask from this once it it is finished and molded.
I will be updating this thread as often as I can, I'm slowly chipping away at the sculpt in the evenings, hope you enjoy!
(oh, its water based clay btw)

20180620_220048.jpg20180620_221806.jpg20180620_221830.jpg20180620_221854.jpg20180620_221910.jpg

Thanks so much! Not sure if i will be selling any copies right now, depends on how it comes out at the end and if there would be enough interest. I will let you know if I decide to go for it. :)
more photo updates coming tomorrow!

Thanks for all the kind words folks! :)

Had some difficulty last week with casting out a mask, I stupidly forgot to talc down the sculpture before covering it in plaster, which lead to lots of mini airbubbles being trapped in the plaster. Most of them would be easy to snip off the latex, but I was annoyed that I missed that step. The big issue was when I pulled the first cast from the mould and found it was as watertight as a net, with huge airbubbles in the latex as you can see here.
20180707_114603.jpg

I contacted a friend/mentor to troubleshoot the issue, and it looks like some of the oil based mould release was still on the inside of the plaster mould, causing airbubbles. So i scrubbed the plaster with a chip brush and some lemon juice (citric acid) and then before pouring latex the next time I misted the plaster with water and then used a damp chip brush to brush on a first layer of latex before filling the mould. This turned out much more successful as you can see here.

Here is the mask before trimming the seams.

20180707_193503.jpg

Most of the problem areas trimmed, still some cleanup to do.
20180708_210908.jpg20180708_210914.jpg

I can use the failed mask pull as a tester for paint etc, hopefully will have an update for you later in the week.
Thanks again!

Teenage mangalore with acne!!! YOU ARE A WIZARD!!!

EDIT : seriously, you might consider it a flaw, but I think it makes the sculpt look more legit.

Last edited:
hey folks,
quick update on this project, here's some images of the paint progress on the mask, image quality is not too great, I will be taking some better photos with the big camera later in the week and will share them.
Its been a long time since I've painted a mask, so I am learning a lot in the process. The paint has really highlighted a lot of the micro airbubbles on the skin from the mould, most of them are not noticeable, and some I have highlighted as 'moles' on the skin surface.
Hope you all like!

20180716_215711.jpg20180716_215659.jpg20180716_215720.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back