Star Wars stand alone films on hold...

I'm actually really glad to hear this.

I was lukewarm about the Solo film. My hope was that it would be used as a launchpad to tell stories about the new characters we'd meet in the film, but having not yet seen the film, I have no idea how those characters developed.

I have never really wanted to see an Obi-Wan-living-as-a-hermit movie. Could it be done? Sure. Could it be done well? Yeah...maybe. Would it be done well? Debatable. Would it be financially successful? What, are you high? No! Look, Ewan is a fantastic actor and his performance as Obi-Wan is one of the brightest spots in the Prequel Trilogy. But I cannot envision an entertaining story about Obi-Wan -- at least, not to a general audience -- that would take place during the time period it'd have to, and that wouldn't otherwise break the established canon.

The Fett film I was...meh about. I think Fett is always better as a background character. The coolness of him is what you don't know about him. The more you reveal, the less mystery surrounds him, and the less interesting he becomes. So, that'd basically mean you can't do a story that really does a ton with the character. Instead, what you'd get is Fett just kicking ass and shooting people, which is...fine, I guess, but why tell that story when you can tell other stories about actual characters who also can kick ass? Fett is a cool looking suit and a badass attitude. He's not really a character. Even in the Clone Wars cartoons, the character just seems driven by revenge...but that's it. There's not much more to him. He's very one-note. Maybe that changes over time in the show (I'm only on Season 3), or later in Rebels, but I just don't see Fett himself as being that great of a character.

Mostly, I looked at these projects as a combination of "playing it safe" and "dooming it to failure." It's "playing it safe" because you aren't taking any real risks with your characters, your setting, etc. You're just retreading old ground. But you're also "dooming it to failure" because you're retreading old ground. If people want a badass Boba Fett story, that's ideal for a super cool video game where you play as Fett and go hunt down bounties. I would love to play that game. But you can do so much more with the movies.

I also don't think that Star Wars should be making films just to make films and keep the brand in the spotlight. Star Wars should be a story-driven enterprise, not a brand-driven enterprise. By all means, let's have the stories benefit the brand, but first and foremost, it has about telling good stories.

Oh dear. I really don't want endless Star Wars movies as much as I love the story. A third trilogy would have been fine with me, and then let it be. I liked Rogue One, and hopefully will like Solo when I get the chance to see it. After TLJ I was actually looking forward to non-saga movies that might actually be good since they wouldn't have the same pressure to be the main story.
But I really don't want an MCU out of Star Wars. This is why I was sorry to hear Disney had bought the franchise at the time, and even though I was willing to hope after TFA, it only appears that my first instincts were right. At this point, I'd rather see new toys than new movies.

Personally I would rather see a documentary on the mating habits of Porgs than watch another SOLO. I like that there is at least some consideration being made on the quality and direction of the franchise. Like to see them take a breath and refocus so this announcement makes me cautiously optimistic.

I wonder if this means the end of the yearly release schedule. I imagine it does.

I wonder if Disney really thinks that going back to just trilogy episodes will magically turn the complainers into believers again. Can’t see it happening, no matter what films they put out. But I guess we’ll see.

I don't think I could ever see one of his movies, after what he did in TLJ. I detest the man.

If they keep him on board, the previously unfathomable will occur....I will boycott a Star Wars film.

The Wook

Agreed. :(

I have to believe that, SOLO issues aside, Disney knows that Star Wars is on the razor's edge with the fans (and lost fans that they would like brought back into the fold) due to TLJ, and that it needs a magnum opus with IX. They surely must also know that it will be one hell of a chore, with what JJ has been given to work with. One can't overstate how much the franchise (or at least, any semblance of what the franchise once looked like) may hinge on what he gives us. Props to them for apparently getting on point.

Regarding RJ, the ONLY argument that his trilogy could ever be worth a crap, would be that being that's it's all his own baby, there would likely be less of the "subversion over substance" writing, since he would be goofing on himself at that point. But how does one support someone that did that in the first place? Plus, subversion issues aside, it still doesn't explain other plot/character/contextual issues that made TLJ an unfortunate and unwilling comedy. So, yeah, it would be over for me as well.

How sad. It didn't have to be like this. Just too many tone-deaf individuals in important positions, it seems.

This is so predictable.

Corporate franchise management 101: Box office is all you need to know about the success/failure of a film. Previous movies never affect the next one. Always treat symptoms, not underlying problems. Never allow for built-in limitations in the franchise IP itself. A 'rest' for a franchise is the length of one football season.

I actually wish they would shelve any trilogy stuff tied to the Skywalker storyline and continue with the one off standalone films

I'd rather see more Solo and Rogue one type films than another trilogy that just mimics the original one

It's a sprawling universe but they seem to be stuck in a small corner of it and keep rehashing and bringing back the same old characters and story lines

I actually have no opinion on this. Movies that hadn't been announced now will not be. Ok. Let's roll with the new stuff.

Yeah, so people shouldn't expect a confirmation or denial from Lucasfilm, they won't comment as they never announced any additional standalone films past Solo.

Anyone who thinks Disney is going to stop making movies after Ep9, after spending billions of dollars on the franchise is out of their minds. They are going to milk this for all it's worth, just like they do the Marvel movies. But Disney is learning that they can't just throw crap out there and expect it to sell, that's what Solo taught them. They are going to have to refocus on making good movies and I don't know that they have the slightest idea how to do that with Star Wars. They tried to copy what had come before and that didn't work. They've tried to push a regressive ideology and that failed. Now people are mad and they are losing fans and having the license isn't just a means to print money. That's why we need to get rid of Kennedy, we need to get rid of Johnson, we need to get rid of Abrams and focus on making good movies that aren't just pandering to what they think their target demographic is. And I don't know if Disney can do that.

So the wash out of all this is that are dropping everything and are going to concentrate on the GoT projects.;)

Seems Johnson subverted even Disneys very own expectations of completely milking the name Star Wars dry, and some still are pushing the dead horse that they are going to give him three more movies. :lol Collider.:lol

Could it also be a way of easing the new President of Lucusfilm in to the role as well?

Last edited:
Awww, man! I like the anthology films. Would it kill Disney/LFL to take some responsibility that they royally effed up Solo? Or was it really easier just to say that anthology films don't make money (they do) and that SW fatigue is the cause (it's not).

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back