Robert Zemeckis’ Welcome to Marwen (Post-release)

What did you think of Welcome to Marwen?

• It was great. Loved it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it.

• It was disappointing.

• It was bad.

• Total voters
I had included this movie in my most anticipated movies list in January, but then began to wonder whether this got pushed to 2019.

Zemeckis strayed away from live action to do animated films for quite some time and when he returned none of those movies (though I did enjoy them) made any big impact.

This movie has allowed Zemeckis to play with live action and animation in such a unique way, akin to Who Framed Roger Rabbit. I am hoping this will be a huge hit during the Thanksgiving weekend.

I've seen the documentary and have looked at the photos of Mark Hogancamp's work. I hope the film doesn't stray too far away from the real story.

ADDITIONAL EDIT: There is one gripe I have. I wish that for the dolls for the film, they had done like how the real Hogancamp does: where he purchases dolls and looks at them to determine who they look like. When it comes to the dolls in the film, they look too much like the real world counterparts to where it seems like they're custom ordered or that Mark did custom sculpts for the heads to make them match their real world counterparts. But that's just me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
As someone who is not familiar with the true story and purely watching as an outsider looking in, I saw this trailer in the theater today and then thought, “What is this????”

I played with toys to no end as a child, but I feel like I didn’t even know what I was watching. I get the artist and his speaking through his toys and photos, but it was getting a little weird and not sure I want to see more...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As someone who is not familiar with the true story and purely watching as an outsider looking in, I saw this trailer in the theater today and then thought, “What is this????”

I played with toys to no end as a child, but I feel like I didn’t even know what I was watching. I get the artist and his speaking through his toys and photos, but it was getting a little weird and not sure I want to see more...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It gets stranger by the moment, doesn't it?" - Mark Hogancamp, "Marencol" (2010)

ADDITIONAL EDIT: There is one gripe I have. I wish that for the dolls for the film, they had done like how the real Hogancamp does: where he purchases dolls and looks at them to determine who they look like. When it comes to the dolls in the film, they look too much like the real world counterparts to where it seems like they're custom ordered or that Mark did custom sculpts for the heads to make them match their real world counterparts. But that's just me.

We're seeing Marwencol through Mark's imagination, so it makes sense that they would look like their real-world counterparts.
Plus, less confusing for viewers.
I think it was a brilliant choice, getting into Mark's mind and showing us Marwencol as he sees it.

I took it as he's been severely beaten to the extent of a brain injury/PTSD, and the toys/photography/building etc of his fantasy world is his way of dealing with the trauma he suffered. Looks like a good film.

I took it as he's been severely beaten to the extent of a brain injury/PTSD, and the toys/photography/building etc of his fantasy world is his way of dealing with the trauma he suffered. Looks like a good film.

Nailed it.

Really looking forward to this. Saw the documentary a few years ago and it was great. Just recently got his book from the library around the time I heard about the new movie.

I kinda find it odd that they shortened the name to "Marwen", although I realize it reads better. For those who don't know, Marwencol came from Mark (Hogancamp), Wendy and Colleen, who were two women who were good friends of his. I wouldn't think they would have allowed that be modified.

Really looking forward to this. Saw the documentary a few years ago and it was great. Just recently got his book from the library around the time I heard about the new movie.

I kinda find it odd that they shortened the name to "Marwen", although I realize it reads better. For those who don't know, Marwencol came from Mark (Hogancamp), Wendy and Colleen, who were two women who were good friends of his. I wouldn't think they would have allowed that be modified.

They probably shortened it primarily because of what happened between Mark and Coleen (as he did remove her avatar/doll from the town, never to be seen again). Or, for the sake of drama, it's gonna start out as Marwen and then at the end of the film, Mark's gonna add the last three letters to make it Marwencol (Leslie Mann is playing a character named Nicol, which is an odd spelling I've haven't encountered before, and from the trailers, it's hinted that what happens between Mark and Nicol is what sort of happened with Mark and Coleen. And even though he removed her doll, he kept Coleen's portion of the name in the town in honor of the two first loves he had in his second life).

Last edited:
They probably shortened it primarily because of what happened between Mark and Coleen (as he did remove her avatar/doll from the town, never to be seen again).

Ah, I wasn't aware of that. As I said, its been a few years since I saw the doc, and
the book is mostly just photos, with only a little bit of text.

Ah, I wasn't aware of that. As I said, its been a few years since I saw the doc, and
the book is mostly just photos, with only a little bit of text.

Just a reminder (and for those who haven't seen the documentary): what happened was that Mark had a crush on Coleen, who is a married woman with kids. He didn't want to steal her from her husband, he just wanted her to know he liked her. He had been telling her about a couple of the stories of Marwencol and told her about his avatar/doll and hers getting married. With the way he told her it, it came off as if he was talking about two real people and she pretty much told him that there's a difference between real life and his imaginary world. TL:DR version: it didn't end well between them.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back