My first Captain America shield build

what template did you use for the star?

I used the attached template I got from Valor's shield build. It worked splendidly in a 10" centre circle.

star1.jpg

Finally done-ish with the shield! :D Got the clear coat on the shield, and then attached the brackets with some 30 lb. 3M double-sided tape. It hold the brackets really well, I can pull on the bracket and it feels like the metal is going to fail before the tape. Attached some rectangular loops with JB Weld for the outer attachment for the leather. The part that gave me the most trouble was making the middle attachments that hold the leather. The metal warped a lot on the first couple ones I made when I made the slots. I solved this problem by cutting the slots before removing the attachments from the sheet of aluminium. Once that was done, I attached them to the shield with some tee nuts and carriage bolts I cut down to size with a hacksaw. The next step was attaching the letter, which I did by reaming holes into a cheap cut up belt I got from Walmart, and then using some jean buttons I got at the local fabric store. In the middle I added some more rectangular loops to attach the belt loops, and now it's done! :D Still toying with the idea of adding some fake rivets done the sides of the brackets, as well as a US Government Property plaque in the center, but for now I'm calling it done!

IMG_20180706_192640.jpgIMG_20180706_233206.jpgIMG_20180712_080701.jpgIMG_20180712_080744.jpgMVIMG_20180712_080805.jpg

Hey I’m doing the exact same thing at the moment and I’m having trouble with the stripping process. I’m using citristrip gel and so far it’s a slow process. Is there any method I can do or use to speed things up with stripping of the paint?

Hey I’m doing the exact same thing at the moment and I’m having trouble with the stripping process. I’m using citristrip gel and so far it’s a slow process. Is there any method I can do or use to speed things up with stripping of the paint?

My stripping progress was slow going too. I couldn't find the Citistrip where I am, so I went with Super Remover found here: https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.super-remover---1-l.1000122801.html

It got the bulk of the paint off of the front and the back, took about 5 applications though. The back was harder than front, I eventually got frustrated and used a sanding disk attached to my Dremel to take off the stubborn parts, which left some imperfections in the finish on the back, so I don't recommend that. My best advice would probably be "Be patient, it will come in time." If there are tiny sections of stubborn paint, I'd suggest hand sanding over power sanding, it will look better in the end.

My stripping progress was slow going too. I couldn't find the Citistrip where I am, so I went with Super Remover found here: https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.super-remover---1-l.1000122801.html

It got the bulk of the paint off of the front and the back, took about 5 applications though. The back was harder than front, I eventually got frustrated and used a sanding disk attached to my Dremel to take off the stubborn parts, which left some imperfections in the finish on the back, so I don't recommend that. My best advice would probably be "Be patient, it will come in time." If there are tiny sections of stubborn paint, I'd suggest hand sanding over power sanding, it will look better in the end.

Also could I use a metal scraper to get the paint off or will it do some damage to the shield?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back