Custom Sci-Fi gun

modified

Greetings everyone! A while back I made a build of Korben's gun from the Fifth Element. That project inspired me to make my own sci-fi gun. Another big inspiration is that I see many posts in this forum with awesome blade runner props. Specifically all the nice variations of Deckard's gun have pushed me towards making my own. I used Fusion 360 to build on top of an existing gun. Here’s my progress with that.

Attachments

• OTS-38 F360.jpg
    OTS-38 F360.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 237
  • OTS-38 F360 3.jpg
    OTS-38 F360 3.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 798
  • OTS-38 F360 4.jpg
    OTS-38 F360 4.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 308
Now the original gun that I built over is a Stechkin OTs-38. Luckily I actually found a model of it online. I had to pay for it but the model quality is top notch. Now I'm actually happy where I am at and am ready to make a prototype. I definitely prefer a hands on approach when it comes to props so I'm looking forward to being able hold this thing in my hands. Cranking all this stuff out on the computer isn't really my strong suit nor is it where I want to dedicate all my time on this project. Now that I'm finished modeling I don't know where to print it from? I've heard some guys on Instagram recommend Shapeways, and that has been for things like helmets and such. Also would anybody recommend printing in resin as opposed to plastic? Because the internals are pretty detailed and I hope to get the cylinder to actually revolve upon cocking the hammer. -Cheers

Is that gun in your profile pic your own design? It looks pretty aggressive and matches the general feel of what I'm going for so I'm glad you like the progress so far.

- - - Updated - - -

Really nice! I'll have you know I'm instantly going to start tracking your progress now. Because Sci-Fi based on realism has always been my personal favorite in terms of props and guns.

Is that gun in your profile pic your own design? It looks pretty aggressive and matches the general feel of what I'm going for so I'm glad you like the progress so far.

- - - Updated - - -

Really nice! I'll have you know I'm instantly going to start tracking your progress now. Because Sci-Fi based on realism has always been my personal favorite in terms of props and guns.

I wish it was my design...but no, it's from an old video game called SINGULARITY. I saw it, liked it and commissioned a build :)

Hello everyone! This project has stalled for the moment... unfortunately I had my design sent over to get printed at Shapeways... Unfortunately they were unable to print it because they were under the impression that I could use the parts to make an actual gun. I understand though they're taking responsibility for what they print. Does anybody know any other reputable print shops?

Last edited:
Hello everyone! This project has stalled for the moment... unfortunately I had my design sent over to get printed at Shapeways... Unfortunately they were unable to print it because they were under the impression that I could use the parts to make an actual gun. I understand though they're taking responsibility for what they print. Does anybody know any other reputable print shops?

3D hubs will help you locate people with 3D printer near to you, anyone with a 3D printer could probably print it for you for a raisonable price. I'm from Canada if you can't find anyone willing to help you in your area PM me and we can arrange something..

3D hubs will help you locate people with 3D printer near to you, anyone with a 3D printer could probably print it for you for a raisonable price. I'm from Canada if you can't find anyone willing to help you in your area PM me and we can arrange something..
Thanks for the info man. Surely if that route doesn't appear fruitful I will take you up on your offer. Cheers

I have a monoprice mini. I'd be willing to print it for you for free, but you'll have to break it into parts to fit on the print bed. I can send you the dimensions if you're interested.

I have a monoprice mini. I'd be willing to print it for you for free, but you'll have to break it into parts to fit on the print bed. I can send you the dimensions if you're interested.

I am very much interested man! lol It's been a real nightmare trying to get a printing service to make this for me.... So sure send me the dimensions of your printer. This whole experience has also made me consider just investing in a printer myself also for my next project... Would you recommend that model considering the reasonable price?

Well, it's quirky machine that took me longer to figure out than it should have. But it is a great price, and I'm happy to help you with the quirks and problems if you find yourself in a pickle as I was.

Quick update! The parts are currently being 3D printed! Soon I'll be able to move forward with this project from a hands on perspective as opposed to just behind a computer screen. I'm brainstorming how to go about getting the internals. Has anyone put airsoft internals into a prop? Because this particular revolver is supposed to be double action and I'm coming up with nothing just google searching. I looked into some cheap airsoft revolvers but the double action isn't pronounced like on an actual revolver. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'd stay away from airguns for the internals. Airgun revolver internals are based on flow and pressure, and expelling gas, not the actual "action" of the gun. So there are small pipes and valves and seals involved. It's not about the trigger and the hammer.

You might want to look for blank firing revolvers, or starter guns to get the action to work. If you go with Ekol or Zoraki internals, might be what you want.

Okay I received my parts and they came out pretty good! I'm in the process of cleaning them up right now. Here's a small mock up. A funny thing occured that has taught me a important lesson. I've never actually held a revolver in my hands before so I never realized how small they are (unless they have long barrels). I scaled the shroud pretty good but the rails were a different story.
IMG_5285.JPG
Here is the gun right next to my Korben Dallas blaster. The size difference is night and day. I whole heartedly expected the size to be roughly the same.

IMG_5299.JPG

I know what you are thinking. Either this guy is Andre the Giant or those rails are way too small.

IMG_5303.JPG

Last edited:
I'm currently modeling some picatinny rails in fusion 360 using some templates found using a simple google search. I also found this cool video that made reading the instructions way easier at least in my case.

Where I am currently having trouble with the lower part of the rail that is supposed to attach to the gun.
Measurements for rail.png

What I am noticing with most revolvers that have rails is that the attachment point is very shallow. Here's some examples.
chiappa-rhino-1.jpgc72a32f673982c9575d8e2acb187507c--guns-and-ammo-rhinos.jpgkorth-supersport-005.jpgKorth-revolvers-Super-best-Sport01.jpg

I guess I am interested in figuring out the minimum height I can get away with to attach an optic or scope, just like the revolvers in these pictures. As opposed to a quad rail that goes on an m4.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back