I've been busy :)

whb64

Like the topic says... I've been busy!

I know some on here don't seem to like 3D printers, but I got mine to print things that are not available, or not available in the scale I want it in.

I also know some have said 3D printing can't match what 3rd party vendors are producing. Maybe... and maybe not.

I haven't been active on here because I have been printing anything and everything! I have learned a lot too.

In the past 3 weeks I have printed around 50 prints. I now have ships I couldn't get anywhere else. I'm running a 3D high resolution resin printer (not the same and an FDM printer) and I am more than happy! I've printed just about all the 1/72 scale ships I want and am now printing blasters and phasers. I'm working on a BSG blaster right now and I think it is turning out really good :)

I also have 4 1/18 scale Hasbro X-Wings and should have a 5th soon. I will be able to do Red 1 through Red 5 :)

I love 3D printing. It has taken things to a whole new level :)

fuy77h.jpg

You've peaked my interest!

^ ditto..

Welcome back.. but really the post doesnt mean anything.

Show some examples of your 'work' that you been so busy doing?

Show the differences from your resin based printer vs most people see from FDM printers (layer lines..etc)

:)

Welcome back & Ditto to what’s posted above !;)

Just wondering though , those 1/18 Xwings ... did you end up printing the wings , cannons and engine parts ( internal & external ) separately , and were they expensive to do ?

Asking cause you know ... maybe you’d consider making extra for people who may be interested in adding them for their builds perhaps ?

:cheersGed

Don't worry pictures are coming :)

Ged I will be printing the wing components and canon housings, I'll be using brass tubing for the barrels. I may have to scratch build the wings and then print detailed panel inserts or something because of the build size of my printer. They shouldn't be too costly to print. The BSG blaster I'm doing right now used around $11 in resin and another $25 in electronics. I'm finishing some prints for the blaster and starting to fit the parts together. It took 60 hours to print all the parts. I think I'm going to try to make some molds of the parts and see how they come out as cast parts.

I got the Anycubic photon. Out of the box it printed right away with no issues. I've been testing different brands of resins and think I have my two main go to companies for the best quality and cheapest price- Bucktown Polymers sells 4 liters for $120 (before shipping, with shipping it's around $148) and then Monocure gun metal and clear. The Monocure company offers coupons on a regular basis and when they do their 25% off coupon a 5ltr container is $212 including shipping. Shipping is lightning fast with both companies and the Monocure clear is the clearest I have seen... it is crystal clear! Bucktown primarily sells to industry and the smallest container you can get is the 4ltr. Bucktown sells everything in clear and then supplies resin dye if you want a different color. Personally, if it isn't a part being lighted, I am painting the print so a colored resin doesn't matter to me. Bucktown clear is a bit yellow/amber in color so it is not crystal clear. I use the Bucktown for general printing and test prints.

This is some of the things I have printed... The X-Wing was reprinted because I had to stop the print to add more resin and it created a shift in the print. I'll post the new print when I get those pictures taken...

20180523_024456.jpg20180522_104835.jpg20180523_024505.jpg20180516_072743.jpg20180516_072849.jpg20180516_005318.jpg

The above are all in 1/72 scale... the Q-Tip is to give some size perspective.

Here's one of the test prints and the rook is really small but you can still read the text in the top of the tower...
20180610_180155.jpg20180610_180054.jpg

Here is a comparison between my print and an FDM printed part- note that the FDM is 'supposed' to be in clear... I used Bucktown resin which does come out yellow, I just got some Monocure clear to to the blaster muzzle and it should be crystal clear. I'll post those when I get the resin and print the part.
20180612_164849.jpg20180612_164930.jpg20180612_164915.jpg

Here are some other blaster parts. I will show them next to the FDM printed parts I ordered and paid for when I get a chance to take some more pictures... The Bucktown is so clear you can see the detail of the rubber mat the parts are sitting on.
20180612_203312.jpg

I have a TON more parts and pieces I printed, and they keep getting better and better as I learn more about the best orientation, doing supports and things like that. I've only been printing for 4 weeks now (with a 5 day break when I went to see my brother) so I am still new to this but learning and things are getting better and better each print! The BSG blaster I am printing is going to be a show piece! Lights, sound, all the whistles and bells!

I think what I like best is the 1/72 scale Buck Roger's Starfighter. I am doing a 1/72 display comparing all the various scifi fighters in scale to each other and also in scale to actual real life war planes and fighter jets. It's pretty cool seeing everything in the same scale. I will be doing some diorama displays with them all shown together.

I also have a 1/72 BSG Landram and a BSG 1/72 shuttle, as well as a herd of Tauntauns... 4 other snowspeeders, an Angry Baby Groot (giving the finger) and a lot more!

These are all still is rough shape, not the final painting and detailing they will get. When I am done I will show the finished pieces.

Definitely not liters... the biggest project I've done so far is the BSG blaster which is 12" long by 8" high and it was only around $11 in resin. The X-Wing was way less than that.

Thanks for sharing pics from your experimental prints , they’re looking terrific . As you said , the more comfortable and experienced you get with the process the more satisfying the outcomes will be .
Gotta ask printing what you want/ need ..., is it somewhat akin to ‘ feeling ‘ like Charlie from Willy Wonka , or Wonka himself ? :p
Switching chocolates & sweets to models & props - of course !:lol

:cheersGed

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back