Best material for Star Wars robe.

Seth Skywalker

I am going to make a Kylo/praetorian guard style robe for my costume. Do any of you guys know where I could get good, genuine looking material for a Star Wars costume/robe? Also sturdy enough to not get ripped during fighting? Thanks everyone!

I am going to make a Kylo/praetorian guard style robe for my costume. Do any of you guys know where I could get good, genuine looking material for a Star Wars costume/robe? Also sturdy enough to not get ripped during fighting? Thanks everyone!

You are being very vague. Kylo's and the Praetorian guards robes are not even the same pattern let alone the same material. A more specific idea on your costume would help.

You are being very vague. Kylo's and the Praetorian guards robes are not even the same pattern let alone the same material. A more specific idea on your costume would help.
Sorry. My plans for the costume are still vague and I am not quite sure of the design yet, but so far I was thinking of robe something like praetorian guard robe just shorter, with some Sith acolyte armor here and there instead of the praetorian armor. But aside from the design, I have not decided on the robe material yet, and I am open for suggestions as long it is something that fits into the Star Wars universe.

Everything has been used from linen to cotton velour to roughspun wool to silk tussah to cordcloth to loden to...

About the only requirement to "fit into the Star Wars universe", by precedent, is natural fibers in "non-Earth-y" patterns. Like... WWI and WWII vintage cotton web belts? Cool. Viet Nam era and later nylon? No. (There are exceptions to everything -- there was nylon strapping on the frames they used for Boba's rocketpack, and they didn't remove/replace them... but the straps were entirely hidden by the flak vest). They've used cotton and wool blends, and Boba's flak vest was a synthetic coated twill -- but they all still looked like the natural fibers they were standing in for, by and large. Nylon was used in a few places, but it didn't really stand out, except when Luke's Hoth Snowspeeder parka got wet on Dagobah.

That's one of the things about the Sequel Trilogy and Rogue One that irks a few of the costumers -- nylon flight suits versus the cotton of the originals. Tends to make them look too contemporary, rather than timeless.

So I'd say check out wool or cotton broadcloth or melton, ask International Silks & Woolens down in L.A. to send you some samples of their heavier-weight fabrics to flip through, get ahold of Brandon Alinger's book on the Original Trilogy costumes, or Trish Biggar's on the Prequels' costumes, and see what sorts of things were used where.

heres-to-fine-corinthian-leather.jpg

Everything has been used from linen to cotton velour to roughspun wool to silk tussah to cordcloth to loden to...

About the only requirement to "fit into the Star Wars universe", by precedent, is natural fibers in "non-Earth-y" patterns. Like... WWI and WWII vintage cotton web belts? Cool. Viet Nam era and later nylon? No. (There are exceptions to everything -- there was nylon strapping on the frames they used for Boba's rocketpack, and they didn't remove/replace them... but the straps were entirely hidden by the flak vest). They've used cotton and wool blends, and Boba's flak vest was a synthetic coated twill -- but they all still looked like the natural fibers they were standing in for, by and large. Nylon was used in a few places, but it didn't really stand out, except when Luke's Hoth Snowspeeder parka got wet on Dagobah.

That's one of the things about the Sequel Trilogy and Rogue One that irks a few of the costumers -- nylon flight suits versus the cotton of the originals. Tends to make them look too contemporary, rather than timeless.

So I'd say check out wool or cotton broadcloth or melton, ask International Silks & Woolens down in L.A. to send you some samples of their heavier-weight fabrics to flip through, get ahold of Brandon Alinger's book on the Original Trilogy costumes, or Trish Biggar's on the Prequels' costumes, and see what sorts of things were used where.
Thanks I checked out international Silks, looks like they would have some good options, do their samples get delivered for free?
Leather would actually add a nice touch to it. I'll think about it.

Keep the suggestions coming!:thumbsup

Last edited:
Not really. Let them know you're looking for something suitable for cloaks or capes, as far as weight. Whatever colors you're after -- or something that can be dyed. Plain or embroidered/brocaded... Probably plain weave, no twills.

Duck cloth is very popular in the Mandalorian Mercs costume club. It's primarily used for flak vests, kamas, loin cloths and capes. But it's a nice, medium weight cloth that's study, durable, and will hold up armor pieces.

I think that would be a good option.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back