9 Star Wars Movies

Tan Djarka

Sr Member
According to Tom Kane, and subsequent online reports, as many a 9 Star Wars movies are currently in development. That includes Obi Wan and Boba Fett, but no Yoda. Also, a Lando movie and Solo sequel have been shelved due to Solo's under performance in the box office. And discuss....

And from what I understand, to further subvert expectations, Ruin Johnson will shoot his entire trilogy on a Beta camcorder he found cleaning out his father's attic.:p

But seriously... What are your feelings on the prospect of another film a year for the next nine years? Too much? Should they space them out to every other year? Given two TV/streaming projects are also in development, could it lead to Star Wars overload, in spite of the quality of the product?

Honestly, I'd shelve Obi-Wan. I see zero reason to tell that story other than people just generally liking Ewan's performance. I mean, could it be interesting? Yeah, sure. It could be. But I guess I just don't see general audiences giving a crap about Obi-Wan hiding in the desert, watching Luke grow up, and otherwise getting into scraps and helping out folks like he's the star of some "Then Came Obi-Wan" coming this fall to ABC, check local listings for time.

BRANCH OUT. Tell new stories with new characters. You bought the IP for a reason. Presumably it wasn't to keep it mired forever in the same few eras that have already been depicted.

It just seems way to obvious, but jump back 1000 years - how'd the sith form? Why are there only two? It's total freedom from anything that came before. As it jumping ahead 1000 years. They keep trying to shoehorn stuff into a pre-set timeframe and it is too easily compared with what came before. You can't mistreat previous characters if you go way back or way forward as they're non-existent then. You're not beholden to existing designs.

Well "Solo" was a step in the right direction, but I'd give anything for just ONE film to get anywhere close to having the overall impact of the originals. I don't doubt there are alot under development,because its fairly obvious they don't know what they want to do with the direction of the franchise overall.

So yes, nine seems probable . But the fact they are bringing as many people and projects on board as they can currently can seems to be a "scattergun "approach, like they are now hoping to strike just a couple of targets smack dead on, whilst missing with the rest of the others.

When I read the recently reported " content" of Rian Johnsons "pitch" for his trilogy I just groaned in semi despair.How the **** could anyone invest any belief in what he would produce anything worthwhile or inspired from that?

I'd give anything just to sit in and listen to the actual content of whats being developed. I mean the actual concepts behind the stories. Because at the moment its hard to see how they are going to move it all forward and successfully grow the franchise.

I never saw Solo and I have no interest in seeing it, but I did read the synopsis and if I even had a spark of interest it went away after reading it. It didn't sound horrible, but there wasn't much there that I didn't already know by watching the other movies, so there wasn't much of a point. It wasn't going to really expand my love for the character any more than I had before.

Of the 10 Star Wars movies I only like the original three. So as far as having much desire to see 9 more movies in a galaxy far far away, I'm hard pressed to really be compelled to go to the theater to see them. I'm on the fence about Episode 9 even. For a long time I was at the very least interested in seeing how they would attempt to clean up the mess they created with Episode 8 but as more time passes, I feel my interest waning day by day.

I'm actually looking forward to Wreck it Ralph 2 and The Lego Movie 2 more than Star Wars. I never thought I would ever utter those words. At this point the only thing that would likely get me back on board would be for a properly restored theatrical cut of the OT on Bluray or 4K. THAT would be an event! And before anyone recommends to me a fancy fan edit like Adywan ( I may not have spelled that correctly) , I've seen them and they don't interest me.

Obi Wan Origins. Lando Origins. Chewie Origins. Gonk Origins. Keep it. We already got Anakin Origins and some Boba Fett Origins in the prequels and it was all dumb and pointless.

I'd rather see films like R1 that enhance the SW mythos than watching another revival of 40 year old characters acting out backstories referenced in ANH.

Last edited:
Obi Wan Origins. Lando Origins. Chewie Origins. Gonk Origins. Keep it. We already got Anakin Origins and some Boba Fett Origins in the prequels and it was all dumb and pointless.

I'd rather see films like R1 that enhance the SW mythos than watching another revival of 40 year old characters acting out backstories referenced in ANH.

Yes I'd like to see more like R1. Tell a story about another rebel cell we haven't seen before. Adapt "Midway" into a Star Wars Story.

Just shelve them all. Ruin wanted it dead. It is dead. I mean kill the past right.

I’m hoping against hope , that hack never gets his ‘ subversive ‘ mitts on any SW related property again , and it’s only his future trilogy he’s managed to kill - it was offered to him way back when ... :facepalm

Also hoping that TLJ has only temporarily damaged this great franchise , and that LFL ( whatever it’s makeup ) will eventually find balance again with future projects .

Ged

Honestly, I'd shelve Obi-Wan. I see zero reason to tell that story other than people just generally liking Ewan's performance. I mean, could it be interesting? Yeah, sure. It could be. But I guess I just don't see general audiences giving a crap about Obi-Wan hiding in the desert, watching Luke grow up, and otherwise getting into scraps and helping out folks like he's the star of some "Then Came Obi-Wan" coming this fall to ABC, check local listings for time.

BRANCH OUT. Tell new stories with new characters. You bought the IP for a reason. Presumably it wasn't to keep it mired forever in the same few eras that have already been depicted.
You'd be surprised, I've seen people all over the net asking for it and waning to see it. I too don't understand, even with Ewan being a good actor and an all-around cool bloke. His character was pretty flat and boring in the prequels (like most). When I heard of th Boba Fett movie I just rolled my eyes.

I never saw Solo and I have no interest in seeing it, but I did read the synopsis and if I even had a spark of interest it went away after reading it. It didn't sound horrible, but there wasn't much there that I didn't already know by watching the other movies, so there wasn't much of a point. It wasn't going to really expand my love for the character any more than I had before.

Of the 10 Star Wars movies I only like the original three. So as far as having much desire to see 9 more movies in a galaxy far far away, I'm hard pressed to really be compelled to go to the theater to see them. I'm on the fence about Episode 9 even. For a long time I was at the very least interested in seeing how they would attempt to clean up the mess they created with Episode 8 but as more time passes, I feel my interest waning day by day.
Exactly the same here. Had they started with making a couple of anthology movies and building the whole thing up it would have made more sense to branch out. But given that we have a "main storyline" which is now pretty divisive and these anthology movies thrown in for good measure just to have something out every year is pretty meh. It starts to feel like what Dimension Fims do with the Hellraiser franchise, every once in a while they need to release so godforsaken turd movie with the Hellraiser logo on it just so that they can keep the rights to the franchise. I haven't seen Solo either, but most people I know and saw it said it was OK. When I want an OK film I get drunk on Saturday and spend my Sunday afternoon on a couch with that OK film. Or come home tired from work and watch the OK film on telly while having dinner.

At this point the only thing that would likely get me back on board would be for a properly restored theatrical cut of the OT on Bluray or 4K. THAT would be an event! And before anyone recommends to me a fancy fan edit like Adywan ( I may not have spelled that correctly) , I've seen them and they don't interest me.
[/quote]
That was the ONLY thing I wanted when LFL was sold to Disney. The single one thing I was hoping for, didn't really care about any new movies at that point, just give me a good release of the OT. Baffles me why Disney is not milking that, I'm pretty sure they have a few studies and charts on how itt would sell. Althought AFAIK the home video rights still lie with Fox until 2020, but considering that Disney is buying that too...maybe Disney are actualy doing all this bouhaha to be able to finance a restoration and release of an UHD version of the OT?:lol

There is a huge demand for theatrical cuts and special directors cuts (aka special editions), I mean how many versions of Blade Runner are there available to the public? That is a cash cow that is just waiting to be milked. I know with their acquisition of Fox that it is at the least a possibility. Fans have been requesting it for years. At this point it's all I'm interested in when it comes to Star Wars. For a long time I couldn't even watch the original trilogy after how frustrated I was with TLJ, but thankfully that is starting to subside. In fact I have been able to slowly enjoy them again and have even recalled the times growing up where I enjoyed them on a different level than I do now as just movies themselves and not as these mammoth institutions that have so permeated my life.

If that can be captured again, then I am open to new films. I got into these movies because they instilled in me a sense of wonder and they were just so much damn fun to watch because of how uplifting they are. Unless someone comes along and can recapture those things, then I think the series is done, at least for me. I held out hope for so long but for me it's over. It's just time to move on to other things and let this series be what it will be.

There is a huge demand for theatrical cuts and special directors cuts (aka special editions), I mean how many versions of Blade Runner are there available to the public? That is a cash cow that is just waiting to be milked. I know with their acquisition of Fox that it is at the least a possibility. Fans have been requesting it for years. At this point it's all I'm interested in when it comes to Star Wars. For a long time I couldn't even watch the original trilogy after how frustrated I was with TLJ, but thankfully that is starting to subside. In fact I have been able to slowly enjoy them again and have even recalled the times growing up where I enjoyed them on a different level than I do now as just movies themselves and not as these mammoth institutions that have so permeated my life.

If that can be captured again, then I am open to new films. I got into these movies because they instilled in me a sense of wonder and they were just so much damn fun to watch because of how uplifting they are. Unless someone comes along and can recapture those things, then I think the series is done, at least for me. I held out hope for so long but for me it's over. It's just time to move on to other things and let this series be what it will be.

There are many movies that frustrated me woth their “special edition available only” approach. Terminator 2 was pretty much extended edition only until recently, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly the same (still extended only in the UK)...why is it so hard to put both versions on a single disc, like the Alien series did is beyond me.
Regarding Star Wars it seems like they adhere to Lucas’ wishes by not releasing the theatrical cuts.

Yes I'd like to see more like R1. Tell a story about another rebel cell we haven't seen before. Adapt "Midway" into a Star Wars Story.
+1
I liked that R1 added some layers to the Rebellion - that it had divisions that were morally ambiguous. Until then (for 35+ years) the rebel troops looked like they all went to the same high school together and functioned as set dressing for the Jedi battles.

WW2 wasn't won with Patton and Rommel in a boxing ring. SW shouldn't be just about the Jedi and Sith.

I hope Disney isn't afraid of vocal fans being hard on The Last Jedi and Rogue One. Fans will be hard on every single film no matter what. Fans will hate films both for taking chances (The Last Jedi) and for playing it safe (Solo). The only difference is that films that take chances will cultivate new generations of potential fans and will always make money. Safe movies that simply try to pander to the base fandom do neither.

It amazes me that LucasFilm didn't copy the Marvel blueprint when it came to the new Trilogy - release character-focused films every year and then a Trilogy Film every 3 years - all of them in a cohesive story line and playing off of each other. This would build the excitement for the Trilogies, while advancing the character stories and building audience attachment to them.

What they are doing now is just so all-over-the-place, with no sense of direction that I can see how audiences can be turned off. The lack of a continuous story arc that TFA and TLJ were a part of was the biggest glaring issue I had with the last 2 films (mainly TLJ). I have no clue what TLJ was setting up for Ep 9. This same lack of vision is evident in these various spin-offs, origin stories, and separate trilogies currently planned. What a mess.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back