9 Star Wars Movies

...I hope Disney isn't afraid of vocal fans being hard on The Last Jedi and Rogue One. Fans will be hard on every single film no matter what. Fans will hate films both for taking chances (The Last Jedi) and for playing it safe (Solo). The only difference is that films that take chances will cultivate new generations of potential fans and will always make money. Safe movies that simply try to pander to the base fandom do neither.

Good post.

Only twice - during the heated post-Eadu exchange between Jyn and Cassian (Diego Luna really brought it here), and with Ben in TFA have I felt emotionally invested in anything involving the "new" Star Wars, and after many discussions the past few years with other fans, I realize I am such a remote outlier in seeing Ben as a vulnerable, emotionally traumatized sort that just wants to belong (I cried during the catwalk scene...but only because of the pain Ben was in), that maybe I'm looking too hard for anything in SW to resonate with any depth. Still, there have been a number of animated movies over the past few years that have moved me to the point of tears; it's possible to write characters and themes that children can relate to, that don't require adult levels of darkness.

I have a bad feeling that emotional resonance in SW is going to be rare occurrence going forward; in the interest of simplicity, it seems we're moving toward either stereotypes, or "gotcha!" moments regarding character development. I realize there's not much new to be had in terms of plotlines and character motivations (in any movie), but somehow characters still emerge in movies that we feel invested in. It doesn't happen by accident. For all of the things the PT got wrong, their biggest failure (IMO) is in being over-ambitious at times, and I can forgive the risk-taking of being given too much (and mentally scaling it back to make it personally palatable), as opposed to too little (and having to mentally construct a narrative that makes any sense).

It amazes me that LucasFilm didn't copy the Marvel blueprint when it came to the new Trilogy - release character-focused films every year and then a Trilogy Film every 3 years - all of them in a cohesive story line and playing off of each other. This would build the excitement for the Trilogies, while advancing the character stories and building audience attachment to them.

What they are doing now is just so all-over-the-place, with no sense of direction that I can see how audiences can be turned off. The lack of a continuous story arc that TFA and TLJ were a part of was the biggest glaring issue I had with the last 2 films (mainly TLJ). I have no clue what TLJ was setting up for Ep 9. This same lack of vision is evident in these various spin-offs, origin stories, and separate trilogies currently planned. What a mess.
Agreed. I think the reason was they wanted to have the original trio in and were not willing to take chances because of their age. They could not ensure that all three of them would be available in 2019 for Ep7 after the initial character based movies. And they obviously wanted the pull of the original stars.

How about a Star Wars nature film where we follow a nice little Tauntaun growing up in the harsh cold weather of Hoth to where eventually a random group of rebels capture it and use to ride around on. To where the dramatic ending has our poor tauntaun sliced open to keep two horrible humans alive in the cold.

Just drop everything and bring on the GoT team as quickly as possible, hire the best possible director and support team and aim to make the most entertaining movie that can be embraced by as many as possible and never aim to only please half ever again.

The Adventures of Chirrut and Baze.

Make it a movie or a TV series. That would be a step in the right direction.

chirrut-and-baze-header.jpg

Last edited:
I hope these plans include an R2-D2 movie, because two hours of a robot I don’t understand would be so cool. We could explore how he got his name, where all that carbon scoring came from, how he’s almost had his memory wiped a few times,....

I kid. I thought Solo was all right, more like the fun of the first two films, with a little wee bit of darkness. Just overloaded with STYLE to distract from the content.

But jeez louise, they are humping this franchise for all it’s worth, and it will end up like Power Rangers. No one will care except those dedicated, unquestioning fans who’ll watch the SW Holiday Special just to see Chewie and Leia.

Boy, that rocket stuff on R2 was pretty bad, but it got really out of hand on Rebels. Chopper flew more than he rolled. He was basically one big jet pack. If it was that easy for an old broken down pieced together droid like Chopper, then R2's feet should never even touch the ground. It was one of my biggest problems with Rebels.

… Aaaaand the new hot rumor yesterday is that Disney is putting all the standalone movies on hold. Also on hold: using young, experimental talent versus veterans.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back