Elysium 3D Printed HMX Grenade

Noeland

Master Member
Well, some of you guys may have read about my frustrations with my 3D printer over in the off topic forum. After having this printer for 7 months, after consulting with many redditors, youtubers, the really terrible Monoprice support staff, I finally seem to have sussed out all the issues and I'm printing with it.

For my first project with this printer I wanted to print something simple, but something different that I haven't seen a lot of. I surfed around Thingiverse for hours, downloading and tipping like crazy. I decided to start with a prop I've always loved the design of. The Elysium HMX Grenade.

I only found a few models on Thinigverse, and one I liked better than the other because it had the potential of having a spring loaded spoon. Didn't work out that way, but I still like the model, done by Hodginsa. Here is a link.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:150305

red_preview_featured.jpg

Being a novice at 3D printing I had to decide what slicer program to use, and I've settled on Cura for now. I downloaded the files and went to work!

ely_grenWIP3.jpg

I printed the bottom of the grenade first, and I was pretty damn happy with it. I had had such bad luck with printing anything before this piece, I was happy to see it done. Took a few hours.

Then I moved on to the grenade body. The files included a hollow version, but I decided to print the solid version. Took 9 and a 1/2 hours. Hahaha.

ely_grenWIP4.jpg

But in the end it turned out great. Very clean with sharp details.

ely_grenWIP5.jpg

Then I moved on to the "top clip" which is what the spoon attaches to. Again, I called that small print a success. I was feeling great!

ely_grenWIP6.jpg

But once I moved to the spoon portion, or the "grip" files, I had some problems. First I tried printing them on thier side so I didn't have to generate supports. Didn't work. So, I generated supports.

ely_grenWIP2.jpg

Reminded me of some old lighters.

This part of the build proved to be very thin, flimsy, and I knew the spoon portion wasn't going to work. For now I just didn't worry about having a working spring loaded spoon.

ely_grenWIP7.jpg

I'm going to make the spoon portion myself using some aluminum sheets. Not a big deal at all. Overall I really could not be happier for my first print.

Where she stands now.

ely_grenWIP1.jpg

Lots of sanding and painting, and some stencil work ahead of me! :)

I'll post up photos as the build progresses. I downloaded a second model from my mini factory that is much less screen acurate, but I will probably print that one too.

More soon!

Noeland-----------------

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back