New to creating prop replicas. Suggestions on easier props to make?

kaidennett

Hi all,
Like the title suggests I have just gotten into the world of model making/prop making/ prop replicating/ costume making. I hope to bulk out my collection to a respectable size soon as I have some more time for builds. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for an easier prop or costume replicas that I could do so I could build out the basic skills that would then allow me to do more advanced builds. I have access to a 3d printer so any project that uses 3d printer is quite accessible but I was also wondering about builds that don't involve a printer. I am really just looking for some impressive looking builds that aren't the most technically challenging so I can hopefully build up the basic skills. Thanks in advance for the awesome answers I always get from the amazing people on this site!

Personally, I always recommend a resin project as it teaches you the basics: Dremmel, sanding and painting.

I would say the easiest props to cut your teeth on are props are come from off the shelf stuff...

Like things you can readily buy and alter to make the prop. Like the phantom menace communicator, was in fact a Gillette women's shaver. Or the 29th century tricorder from voyager was made from a travel alarm clock...

Nurf guns are great for honing painting skills... Making these robust sci-fi looking guns from colourful plastic to shiny gun metals

And of course there are always kits...

There is no real "easy" prop in my opinion. Everything that has to be made or modded needs a certain skill set and these skills can only be learned from getting in and dirty. You can watch a million YouTube videos, but until you pick up a part and work on it, you will never know if you have the skills needed to get the job done.

Your other option is to buy stuff that has been made - either buy licensed production products or buy from those with the skills to make things. Sometimes it is just easier to buy. Most of my BTTF2 stuff is bought because I either didn't have the skills (2015 jacket and whilst I can sew, I am not a tailor), or could not make it for the cost of buying it. Mr.Fusion and Hoverboard are two perfect examples this. In these cases, buying the licensed product was just less painful even though I knew they would not be screen accurate and would need modding.

My prop collection is growing and I have got some pretty neat stuff and some of that cost a heap of money. Yet some of my favorite pieces are parts that I have made. Most of those DIY projects are $10 - $50 cost to make. Are they screen accurate? Hell no, but if it brings me satisfaction, who cares? I was able to hone or learn a new skill to make it happen and now I have something from a movie I love.

I’d recommend you start with some kits. The Graflex lightsaber kits are some of the easiest things you can put together, but will teach you some basic assembly techniques. Plus, you’ll have a great prop when you’re finished!

I also second what Funky said with a resin kit, as those are a bit more complicated, but will teach you the fundamentals of filling holes, sanding, and assembly.

Whatever you decide, make sure you follow some basic safety guidelines like wearing eye protection, respecting ventalitation guidelines when working with chemicals, etc.

Last but not least, have fun!

Sean

There is no real "easy" prop in my opinion.

I agree with this for a few reasons. It's a really hard thing to recommend. What's easy? 3D printing means you can make a whole bunch of stuff - but can you model it yourself? Can you sand and paint (you can but have you done it)?

Welding is easy for some people. It's not for me. Look in the paper props section, some of those could be considered 'easy' props.

I think the better question for this type of inquiry is what prop do you really want? An easy prop may be of no use to you if you have no interest in it. But you may find a more complicated build really satisfying if the result is a dream prop or learning lots of new skills.

For example, I'm working on a Jack Sparrow compass with internal mechanisms to spin the dial. It's a bit beyond my reach but I'm learning a lot in the process.

As for less complicated builds, there are lots of cosplayers/prop builders making really nice looking stuff from EVA foam. This can be done with hand tools (although lots of people use a dremel, is that still simple?) and the painting and finishing looks pretty amazing.

Most folks have already mentioned that "easy" is a tricky way to approach the hobby sometimes. It might be good to know if there is a film, game, tv show, etc, that catches your interest and ask about an "easy" build within that area, as it can lessen the scope a bit. Personally, I started with basic dagger like props. The blades were cut by hand from 1/4in poplar or red oak boards from a home center, while I sculpted cross guards, hilt, and other features using plumbers putty.

Having a 3d printer means you could 3d design some basic shapes for things like a pommel or guard, and just slot in a blade.

If you do not have room for woodworking, foam board or eva foam (with internal support) can be subbed.

I agree with this for a few reasons. It's a really hard thing to recommend. What's easy? 3D printing means you can make a whole bunch of stuff - but can you model it yourself? Can you sand and paint (you can but have you done it)?

CAD and not being able to use it is the exact reason I have not jumped head first into 3D printing. Sure I can draw things in Sketch Up, but have you printed that? Crappy polygons.

CAD and not being able to use it is the exact reason I have not jumped head first into 3D printing. Sure I can draw things in Sketch Up, but have you printed that? Crappy polygons.

Not to derail the thread, but is there any particular thing that's holding you back from CAD & 3D printing? I'm a mechanical engineer and while I don't use it for my job I do have a bit of experience with a variety of 3D modelling/CAD applications. I've been thinking of making a video series/course on Fusion 360 (just because it's free) for the prop maker but I'm not quite sure what angle to take.

I did give Sketch Up a go a long time ago, but I never really enjoyed using it.

To get things on topic, paging kaidennett - did anything in this thread help you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to derail the thread, but is there any particular thing that's holding you back from CAD & 3D printing? I'm a mechanical engineer and while I don't use it for my job I do have a bit of experience with a variety of 3D modelling/CAD applications. I've been thinking of making a video series/course on Fusion 360 (just because it's free) for the prop maker but I'm not quite sure what angle to take.

I did give Sketch Up a go a long time ago, but I never really enjoyed using it.

To get things on topic, paging @kaidennett - did anything in this thread help you?
Even though the tools appear to be the same, I can't seem to get programs like Auto Desk 123 to work. I did draw my Alien Tile back in 2013 using that program but not had luck with that since.

When I do get a printer, I want to make my own stuff and not just print others work.

Right now, I am concentrating on my vacuum forming rig.

Sent from my CPH1701 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, this thread did definitely help a ton, thanks everyone!

All I can offer is DON'T GIVE UP. Take pride in anything you make (even if it is not the best thing) and know that you will only get better the more you make.

I was reminded by this when someone liked my rough as guts "dehydrated pizza" that I made back in 2012(?) and I still have that as part of my BTTF 2 collection.

Also, be sure to only start out with props you are REALLY into. It will give you the motivation to power through some of the more monotonous parts of processes such as sanding etc.

Foam props are a fairly good place to start for (relatively) easy props to make. You can get free templates online from places like Evil Ted Smith's shop and the materials and tools are readily available off the shelf.

Modding Nerf guns (or any other toy gun for that matter) is another good place to start since it's mostly a matter of cutting, sanding, filling, and painting. They may not necessarily look like anything from your favorite show or movie but it doesn't mean that you can't make a cool looking original prop. The Nerf Maverick is a popular model amongst Steampunk costumers and lots of people have made them look quite nice by simply sanding off all the logos and other markings, filling in the screw holes, and then giving it a nice coat of paint.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back