RotJ Force Pike Accurate Build/Research

Ok, I've been refining the model with the help of roygilsing and his famous perspective matching and I think it's about there!

Final2-1.jpgFinal2-5.jpgFinal2-2.jpgFinal2-4.jpgFinal2-3.jpgFinal2-1-render.jpg

final1-2.jpg

final1-3.jpg

final1-4.jpg

final1-7.jpg

final1-8.jpg

Final2-1-render.jpg

Final2-1.jpg

Final2-2.jpg

Final2-3.jpg

Final2-4.jpg

Final2-5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still waiting on a new battery for my old archive laptop (after which, I'm going to finally pull everything off of there), but here's what I have from being stored elsewhere...

ROTJ costume test photos:

2003_zpsrm2i9lg8.jpgRotJcostumetest1.jpgCostume Test 02_zpsb6ggw3yr.jpgCostume Test 02a_zps3qh8tzj4.jpgRotJcostumetest2.jpg

Set photos:

RotJProductionStill.jpg

Screen grabs:

RotJScreencap01.jpgFramegrab 02_zps6tg3ix2f.jpgep6_bts_574.jpg

Magic of Myth exhibit:

3472212688_c8ed6bbf46_o.jpg3472212618_a24c623757_o.jpg3472212558_b66d184ffe_o.jpg3471402929_ee63f125ee_o.jpg3471402851_3764ec94ee_o.jpg3471402777_1b3e5466c1_o.jpg3471402751_dd5633bfef_o.jpg3472212744_bf4ff08e4d_o.jpgP1010055.jpgPc210082.jpg

The close-up of the tip that I have was just posted upthread, so I won't duplicate that one. Last shot I have handy that isn't from the Prequels is of the one in Steve Sansweet's collection:

RotJSansweet.jpg

I'm still waiting on a new battery for my old archive laptop (after which, I'm going to finally pull everything off of there), but here's what I have from being stored elsewhere...

Some interesting stuff there, thanks! Looking forward to the rest too, still trying to confirm/rule out the button on the wide silver section near the pommel. Costume test pics seem to show it but I can't see it anywhere else...

You may be looking at this
Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 12.05.01 PM.png

they all have very different pitches to their blades...

however hob cutters mounted on a mandrel also looks like part of the pike
Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 12.04.37 PM.png

pm me for the ebay links? I don't want to post live auctions

You may be looking at this [...]

Yeah I'm 100% sure it's a worm gear cutter that's mounted to a taper similar to the image below that's just slotted into the end of the fishing pole:

8c239421441d9e16ae6dce09e0d62c4b.jpeg

From our photo matching and given the reference we have I believe it's likely an MT2 taper as the dimensions are similar, which gives me reasonable confidence that we're at least pretty close to the real dimensions. The pictures GINO posted in the thread I linked to in my first post seem to show hand-engraved text/serials/whatever on the taper suggesting it probably wasn't mass produced in large quantities and will possibly never be found in the wild. Another possibility is that the numbers found on the taper may correspond to dimensions/tooth sizes etc. and someone more famililar with the tools may eventually pop up and interpret them for us :)

While obviously there's still some uncertainty (and always will be unless we can get hands on the prop/found part) the photo match I posted before (and below) makes me pretty confident that we're at least closer than any other attempt I've seen thus far :)

8c239421441d9e16ae6dce09e0d62c4b.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Finished up the 3d printed/fishing pole version, tried chrome paint but wasn't happy with the effect so decided to use aluminum tape like the original prop. Close up there are a few wrinkles but it serves it's purpose :)

IMG_9219.JPGIMG_9220.JPGIMG_9221.JPGIMG_9223.JPG

A comparison with the screen used/costume test version suggests I could shorten the fishing pole section an inch or two (and shows how expanded front to back the Rubies helmet is...)
Untitled-1.jpg

Well guys I have some serious updates!

First off I have given the designs to a machine shop and received a preliminary quote and am strongly considering that it might be possible doing a run of 50. I will be making an actual interest thread fairly soon to take sign ups and deposits for the run! The price isn't firm yet, it will depend on how many pre-orders we can get and also on the second bit of news, which is:

I've managed to get hold of some much better reference material and am in the process of redesigning several aspects of the pike as the new reference has shown me a lot of tweaks I can do to make it super accurate! I'm more or less done with the top section so I can share a render with you:

newhobrenders.jpg

I've learned that there were several different variations of this found part used on the movie pikes and the one I managed to get reference of is different to the one I originally modelled, but bearing that in mind I'm pleased with how close the original version is to this more accurate one:

Screen Shot 2018-09-04 at 17.03.29.png

This part and the pommel end are the bits that most need improving but I'll be going over everything again anyway and likely redrawing most of it even if it's close :)

This thread is amazing! I love the team work effort.

Tom the print looks amazing! Very clever with the aluminum tape!

My mind is boggling though, does anyone know what that hob gear is actually for?! Is it some kind of grain grinding gear? It doesn’t look like it would mechanically fit into another gear?

It sure is a weird gear setup!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back