Mpc falcon what a peace of junk ultimate build

Falcon fan

So me I am a model builder I get kits and just build them but I try and make them better than out of the box. So the other day at a toy show I got and found a original MPC millennium falcon kit that came out in 1979. So now with building it I’ll be using 3D printed parts to correct and fix things on it but what I’m having a hard time trying to decide is what look to go for with it. A new hope or empire strikes back So Star Wars fans what’s the difference between the 2. And are there more references for one over the other once I can find out then I know what direction to go.

Hi. This actually should be in the Models > General Modelling category, to be pendantic, since the MPC kit isn't studio scale. (ie: it's not to the same scale as the model used in the movies)

Anyway. The main difference between the ANH/1977 and ESB/1980 Falcons is that the former had 3 landing gear boxes containing 5 landing gear legs. The latter had an extra two boxes added to the front, for a total of 7 landing gear legs. The remaining differences are subtle.

The MPC kit was modelled after the ANH/1977 ship. It takes more work to modify it to the ESB era.

There are also numerous differences in the actual detailing of he model, and if you want to get a bit picky (who doesn't) the hull curvature is different - with the ESB/32" Falcon being "flatter". It should be noted that the original 3 leg Falcon had the other 2 added during the EBS filming to match the smaller 32" model as well.

So the MPC model was "supposed" to be a model of the original 5 foot model. However it has a lot of inaccuracies to fix - and really no matter what you do it will never be "right". That being said "fixing" an MPC falcon is kind of a right of passage. Doing it well will teach you a TON about kit-bashing and scratchbuilding... as well as 3D modeling, or at least cleaning up and using 3D printed parts.

So the general details sorta match the 5 foot Falcon - but the Hull is seriously flattened out (even more than the 32" Falcon).

What you need to ask yourself is - what version of the falcon do you want to try and emulate, and how close do you really want to get? If you're happy with lowering the height of the sidewalls and greebling them up so that they just look busy... you'll get something reasonable pretty quickly. If you want to try for more accuracy, you're in for a long haul... even with the 3d rendered parts. This is due to the fact that the basic hull proportions are off, and correcting THAT is a PITA.

Good luck... and post in progress pics :)

Jedi Dade

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back