Is there a way to print or stencil letters on fabric (not embroidery?)

Sulla

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I want to print some text onto some heavy cotton fabric. Just a few words like "CAUTION" and "DANGER" in black ink of a simple font. Basically make a label like a patch but not embroidered. Like the name patch on a military BDU.

There's gotta be a way to do them at home without special equipment and still leave it looking pretty good. Anyone have any ideas? I know there is screen printing, but I've never done that before. Wondering maybe about stencils and fabric paint perhaps?

42703968152_7c2b09182b.jpg

You could use heat transfer vinyl. Just need the vinyl lettering and an iron. If you need something custom send me a pm and I can make it for you. If not, most craft stores will have vinyl lettering for heat application.

Pretty easy to apply, lay the vinyl in the shirt, lay the iron on top and press for a few seconds. Done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a stencil made out of vinyl at a sign shop, stuck that to a jacket and used an airbrush filled with acrylic paint to make the image. Worked perfectly! I suppose you wouldn't have to use an airbrush, a simple paint brush would probably work just as well.

I'm all about making a project easy.
I needed to write the name "nostromo" on the back of my Alien jacket and I just did what they did for the actual costumes. Take your graphic to your local sign shop and have them cut it out in vinyl then reverse weed it. Stick it on your fabric and spray paint over it. Peel of your vinyl and your done.

If you are steady with an X-Acto knife, you can print out your stencil on butcher paper cut to fit your printer (print on paper side), cut out the letters, iron the butcher paper to your fabric (plastic side down) and spray or paint your image. You can peel the stencil off when the paint dries.

David

I want to print some text onto some heavy cotton fabric. Just a few words like "CAUTION" and "DANGER" in black ink of a simple font. Basically make a label like a patch but not embroidered. Like the name patch on a military BDU.

There's gotta be a way to do them at home without special equipment and still leave it looking pretty good. Anyone have any ideas? I know there is screen printing, but I've never done that before. Wondering maybe about stencils and fabric paint perhaps?

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/891/42703968152_7c2b09182b.jpg

At home see above suggestions, The printer you seek is a DTG Printer (Direct To Garment).
You might be able to find one at a shop that sells specialized tee shirts or caps. Several maker spaces also have them.

https://www.brother-usa.com/business/garment-printers

Print out what you want on heavy weight paper. Cover design with scotch tape to make wetproofing. Exacto out design with small supports holding floating letters in place. Use sheet of cardboard in garment, separating front and back of garment so bleed through doesnt happen. Also, you can pin the pulled-wrinkle-free fabric to the cardboard. Spray with paint or manually. Manual painting ALWAYS FROM PAPER TOWARDS FABRIC. Not too much paint, or it will run. Halfway through paintdrying, ever-so-gently remove design.

Last edited:
JPH - give the Butcher Paper a try - you can iron on the floating insides of letters with the tip of the iron. It's surprising what level of detail you can get with a little careful X-Acto-ing.

David

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back