Superman the Movie Kryptonian Spinning Rings

booshman

View attachment 823033

Hi, I've been trying to figure out how the set from Superman the Movie worked. I understand how the rings were fused and only appeared to be spinning on top of one another when the entire thing was spun, but I can't fiure out how they were able to spin them with actors stood in the centre. I think they only spun the outer circumference with the rings on it, but how is the central part kept stationary, what's holding it up? I want to try an make a scaled down version, so any info on how they did it full scale would be welcomed, thanks.

Last edited:
I would guess a recessed circular track in the floor with casters that the rings can rotate on with maybe a powered wheel powering the whole thing. the rings could be made relatively light. The part that I haven't quite got figured is the kind of back and forth reciprocating motion that the rings make while they rotate,,, they jiggle, is the best way I can describe it... not sure how that was accomplished... could be a simple answer, but I haven't figured it out...

... The part that I haven't quite got figured is the kind of back and forth reciprocating motion that the rings make while they rotate,,, they jiggle, is the best way I can describe it... not sure how that was accomplished... could be a simple answer, but I haven't figured it out...
Might’ve been an unintended byproduct of how the circular track was laid/powered.

As per Buliwif described. Recessed spinning track with hulahoop style rings welded together. The oscilating "jiggle" is purely because the ring werent perfectly round. Unintentionally I would say but gave a good effect anyway.

An easy scaled down version could be made with a lazy susan bearing but this might be a little noisey. Any reasonably arge bearing could be used with the centre section raised from the floor and hold a plate on ontop for the figures (or whaever you plan to put in the middle of the rings). Add the rings to the outer of the bearing and use a small motor with a rubber tip pressed against it to turn the bearing.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back