Subscribe
    Jun 10, 2018, 5:49 AM - Superman the Movie Kryptonian Spinning Rings #1

Attachment 823033

Hi, I've been trying to figure out how the set from Superman the Movie worked. I understand how the rings were fused and only appeared to be spinning on top of one another when the entire thing was spun, but I can't fiure out how they were able to spin them with actors stood in the centre. I think they only spun the outer circumference with the rings on it, but how is the central part kept stationary, what's holding it up? I want to try an make a scaled down version, so any info on how they did it full scale would be welcomed, thanks.
    Last edited by booshman; Jun 12, 2018 at 1:34 AM.
  2. Member Since
    May 2016
    From
    Los Angeles County
    4 Weeks Ago  Jun 15, 2018, 12:00 AM - Re: Superman the Movie Kryptonian Spinning Rings #2

I would guess a recessed circular track in the floor with casters that the rings can rotate on with maybe a powered wheel powering the whole thing. the rings could be made relatively light. The part that I haven't quite got figured is the kind of back and forth reciprocating motion that the rings make while they rotate,,, they jiggle, is the best way I can describe it... not sure how that was accomplished... could be a simple answer, but I haven't figured it out...
    4 Weeks Ago  Jun 15, 2018, 9:44 AM - Re: Superman the Movie Kryptonian Spinning Rings #3

Buliwif said: View Post
    ... The part that I haven't quite got figured is the kind of back and forth reciprocating motion that the rings make while they rotate,,, they jiggle, is the best way I can describe it... not sure how that was accomplished... could be a simple answer, but I haven't figured it out...
    Might’ve been an unintended byproduct of how the circular track was laid/powered.
    4 Weeks Ago  Jun 15, 2018, 10:20 AM - Re: Superman the Movie Kryptonian Spinning Rings #4

Attachment link not working...

This is the now the second thread.... is something up?
  5. RPF Premium Member doppelganger's Avatar
    From
    UK
    4 Weeks Ago  Jun 15, 2018, 2:18 PM - Re: Superman the Movie Kryptonian Spinning Rings #5

As per @Buliwif described. Recessed spinning track with hulahoop style rings welded together. The oscilating "jiggle" is purely because the ring werent perfectly round. Unintentionally I would say but gave a good effect anyway.

An easy scaled down version could be made with a lazy susan bearing but this might be a little noisey. Any reasonably arge bearing could be used with the centre section raised from the floor and hold a plate on ontop for the figures (or whaever you plan to put in the middle of the rings). Add the rings to the outer of the bearing and use a small motor with a rubber tip pressed against it to turn the bearing.
    3 Weeks Ago  Jun 21, 2018, 10:11 PM - Re: Superman the Movie Kryptonian Spinning Rings #6

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll post again if I get a model working.
    6 Days Ago  Jul 10, 2018, 3:17 PM - Re: Superman the Movie Kryptonian Spinning Rings #7