Red Hood Build (Mostly Complete)

Monkeh

Been lurking for a long time, finally decided to post something I have been working on. I don't have a huge number of WiP pic's because I am terrible at remembering to take them, but will post what I do have.

A couple of years ago I decided to start a Red Hood build using pepakura. I made some good progress but then had to put it aside for almost a year due to studies. Once I picked it up again I wasn't happy with the quality of what I had done, so I binned it.

About a year ago I got a 3d printer and decided I was going to print a helmet. I originally downloaded the Killonious helmet because I like the simple design but then decided I wanted to do this completely from scratch. Using his helmet as a guide, and a few different youtube channels I taught myself to make a helmet in Fusion 360. I made the simple Red Hood helmet, cut it up, then started printing it. I printed all the pieces and did a temporary assembly using masking tape to hold it all together and make sure it fit (which it did. Yay). I went to start glueing it all together but decided to just leave it tapped. I was going to use fibreglass to reenforce it anyway, so no need to worry about it.
20180124_204736.jpg
Freshly fibreglassed helmet

Did a first pass sanding with some nice high 40 Grit sand paper to remove the worst of the roughness. Then attacked it with some builders bog to fill in any particularly bad inconsistencies or holes. Followed up with some more sanding. First 80 grit, then 150, then 400.
20180520_160938.jpg
Finished sanding

Next was time to cut a section off the back so I could actually get it on my head. Wanted to do this before I painted so I didn't damage the paint. Once I cut the back section off I hit the whole thing with a white base coat.
20180522_215331.jpg
White base coat (sitting on top of a dead PC). You can see the cut section in the back.

After that I hit it with a couple of coats of red. I just happened to have a mostly full can of a shade of red I liked.
20180522_224737.jpg
It's Red. Like a Red Hood or something.

Now is where I once again forgot about pictures. But All I did now, was glue in some neodymium magnets for ease of getting the helmet on and off, and went a bought a cheap pair of sunglasses to steal the lenses out of for the eyes. Then padded the inside of the helmet out so that it sit's exactly where I wanted it to.

While I was making the helmet I decided I wanted armour for him as well. Threw together some quick designs in Fusion360 for different pieces and started printing and fibreglassing those as well.
IMG_20180102_211052_909.jpg20180130_124545.jpg
Some of the pieces before and after fibreglass, waiting to be sanded.

The body armour ended up being finished during con crunch time, so some of it didn't get finished, and some of it I want to come up with a new way to assemble it. The ab sections are currently held together with craft foam, and then black webbing is holding that to the pectoral section of the armour. The straps holding the front of the armour in place also need a redesign as I am not happy with how they sit. Legs I am happy with. The back and the different sections I was printing for the arms are the pieces I scrapped due to time since I would be wearing a jacket so not totally necessary.
34701426_2050519338529811_4873213491978174464_n.png
Taken at a con I was at this past weekend.

Over all it turned out okay and I am reasonably happy with it. I will be going back and making the aforementioned modifications and finishes to it soon. Will also be attacking it with my Dremel and engraving the black line and painting it in as soon as I have time. I think it will finish it nicely.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back