Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

It still makes no sense to me that Luke would renounce the Jedi and everything they stood for and yet isolate himself at the location of the first Jedi temple and surround himself with Jedi artifacts. Talk about self loathing! Lol

To quote Indiana Jones "If you want to be a good archeologist,you got to get out of the library!"

So Luke is studying the Jedi, that's why he's there.

- - - Updated - - -

And that there is a problem. The ONLY reason Luke was on the island is the 'creative' team could write a story in which he didn't over shadow the new characters. Which would suggest the new characters are not so compelling.
The story RJ told can only work within the context of his movie or if Luke was a previously unknown character.

As for Legends.........
View attachment 844796

Um it was George Lucas's idea to have Luke be self exiled at the first Jedi temple.

- - - Updated - - -

This just made me think of the actual official trailers. So I rewatched them both. It just struck me how immensely (and I think deliberately) misleading they are.
- Snoke may be talking to Kylo OR Rey. But then it turns out there's zero involvement in that.
- Luke and Rey training together. Not a single thing about grumpy Luke other than the "time for the Jedi to end"
- No Canto Bight
- No Rose
- No Holdo
- No DJ
- No wacky hijinks and lovely comedy (apart from a single porg shot)
- Shots that made people instantly interested. OMG is Rey gonna join Ren? Is Ren going to shoot Leia? And then you saw the movie and, ah none of those actually create any more tension than what's in the trailer.

Whoever cut those trailers together probably knew better what kind of film this should have been.

Oh come on, you know if they had put anymore into the trailers, people would have complained they spoiled the movie. And besides Canto Bight, and Rose got their own things, and Tran was interviewed on the Star Wars Show before the movie.

It's also worth pointing out that this is the only logical way to keep Luke on that island. The notion that Luke would abandon his friends for something like 3 years, just to sit cross-legged like some bhuddist monk, is unfathomable. But if he truly feels that he's doing more good by staying out of the fight, and that he would cause more harm then good if he came back. This is the only way he would seemingly abandon his friends for several years.

I'm probably the last person to go for fanfic, fan theories and whatnot but here's a few more right off the top of my head:
- Luke was massively tempted by the dark side and if he stayed in the fight he would have been pulled even more (not just had a fleeting moment then ran away in shame). Tempted by Snoke let's say. Then Rey shows up and acts as a compass for him to rediscover himself and they go through trials.
- Luke went there to learn something new that he needed to learn or find to challenge Snoke. He doesn't seem to be able to get the thing/master the knowledge and keeps trying because otherwise he would surely lose or fall. Rey shows up and they work together, learn from each other and go through trials.
- Luke went there to find something and became trapped somehow. Physically, mentally, "under a spell", place syphoned his powers, etc etc. Rey shows up and helps him, in the meantime they learn from each other and go through trials.

But obviously, to each their own, if screwing up then running away and moping for the duration of the movie without any real character development for anyone is the only logical choice then fine.

I'm probably the last person to go for fanfic, fan theories and whatnot but here's a few more right off the top of my head:
- Luke was massively tempted by the dark side and if he stayed in the fight he would have been pulled even more (not just had a fleeting moment then ran away in shame). Tempted by Snoke let's say. Then Rey shows up and acts as a compass for him to rediscover himself and they go through trials.
- Luke went there to learn something new that he needed to learn or find to challenge Snoke. He doesn't seem to be able to get the thing/master the knowledge and keeps trying because otherwise he would surely lose or fall. Rey shows up and they work together, learn from each other and go through trials.
- Luke went there to find something and became trapped somehow. Physically, mentally, "under a spell", place syphoned his powers, etc etc. Rey shows up and helps him, in the meantime they learn from each other and go through trials.

But obviously, to each their own, if screwing up then running away and moping for the duration of the movie without any real character development for anyone is the only logical choice then fine.

I like the first one a lot. But considering how people think he shouldn't ever be tempted by the Dark Side again after ROTJ, there would still have been fans screeming.

The other two would work, except for one thing. He didn't tell anyone where he was going. And that's established in TFA. If he'd gone off looking for ways to defeat Snoke, you'd think he'd tell at minimum his sister. Think of Yoda and Obi-Wan, Bail Organa new where both were, so when the time was right they could come back. But Luke didn't tell anyone where he was going, nor what he was doing. And as far as I can tell, the only way Han and Leia found out what happened is from R2.

While it's nice to finally see some of the visual fixes that were sloppily thought in the actual cut, I will not be watching this "fixed" edition and it's a wasted effort. I take what is officially released (in terms of the events and story) to be the gospel and not a fan cut, no matter how much better they may steer the direction of the film. It's unfortunately just not the actual story in the end.

I wont be watching it either for the same reasons you posted and have the same attitude to all the ancilllary stuff and also the fact I couldnt sit through that movie again regardless of any version. I`ve been following the project for a long time now just out of curiosity and have never bothered to post about it before but the trailer he put together is really a thing of beauty and shows just how far from the mark Thanos Johnson got things, so far from a wasted effort.

- - - Updated - - -

This just made me think of the actual official trailers. So I rewatched them both. It just struck me how immensely (and I think deliberately) misleading they are.
- Snoke may be talking to Kylo OR Rey. But then it turns out there's zero involvement in that.
- Luke and Rey training together. Not a single thing about grumpy Luke other than the "time for the Jedi to end"
- No Canto Bight
- No Rose
- No Holdo
- No DJ
- No wacky hijinks and lovely comedy (apart from a single porg shot)
- Shots that made people instantly interested. OMG is Rey gonna join Ren? Is Ren going to shoot Leia? And then you saw the movie and, ah none of those actually create any more tension than what's in the trailer.

Whoever cut those trailers together probably knew better what kind of film this should have been.

Yes, whoever put those trailers together understood the spirit of Star Wars or was a true master of deception or both. Disney and more specifically LFL knew exactly what they had, the theatre contracts and lack of pre release screener`s to them and the method formulated to spin the aftermath is a testimony to that.

Um it was George Lucas's idea to have Luke be self exiled at the first Jedi temple.

All we know, as far as I know, is that Lucas had Luke on an island doing something, possibly training the female Jedi. I never heard he was in exile in Lucas' idea.

I don't buy the "Luke left the fight to avoid the Dark Side" idea. He already beat the Dark Side. He faced down the most powerful Sith Lord in recent history and didn't fall. There's nothing after that that would break him other than a bad writer!

I have no problem with Rey other than how quickly she gained her power. Even Anakin Skywalker had to be trained for 10 years to do what he can do and he's the most powerful (potentially) Jedi in history, created by the Force itself. Luke did learn quickly, but he was Anakin's son, so he likely also had a sky high midichlorian count. Rey learns she can use the Force and the next day she is using it like she's a fully trained Jedi Knight. That is just sloppy writing.

All we know, as far as I know, is that Lucas had Luke on an island doing something, possibly training the female Jedi. I never heard he was in exile in Lucas' idea.

I don't buy the "Luke left the fight to avoid the Dark Side" idea. He already beat the Dark Side. He faced down the most powerful Sith Lord in recent history and didn't fall. There's nothing after that that would break him other than a bad writer!

I have no problem with Rey other than how quickly she gained her power. Even Anakin Skywalker had to be trained for 10 years to do what he can do and he's the most powerful (potentially) Jedi in history, created by the Force itself. Luke did learn quickly, but he was Anakin's son, so he likely also had a sky high midichlorian count. Rey learns she can use the Force and the next day she is using it like she's a fully trained Jedi Knight. That is just sloppy writing.

Just throwing this out there, but there is zero reference(in the films) to having to train to use the Force. There's Jedi training, but not Force training. In fact, I would argue that a Force-sensitive doesn't use the Force as much as the Force uses them.

Oh and the word Doug Chiang uses to describe what Luke has done, is secluded.

Yes Ray became Anakin force strong within a day... That's called a Mary Sue. Sloppy, rediculous writing.

Since Luke was hiding, what was the point of the map to his location? He sure as S! $t didn't want to be found according to Ruin J. And he sure as S! $t wasn't going to train anyone according to Ruin J.

Yes Ray became Anakin force strong within a day... That's called a Mary Sue. Sloppy, rediculous writing.

Since Luke was hiding, what was the point of the map to his location? He sure as S! $t didn't want to be found according to Ruin J. And he sure as S! $t wasn't going to train anyone according to Ruin J.

Well if Rey is a Mary Sue, then Luke and Anakin are both a Gary Stu

Luke is hiding, but contrary to popular belief he did not leave a map behind. Lor San Tekka discovered one map fragment. And R2 had downloaded the other portion when he was on DS1. These show the location of the first Jedi Temple on Ach-To, which is where Luke is believed to be.

Luke is hiding, but contrary to popular belief he did not leave a map behind. Lor San Tekka discovered one map fragment. And R2 had downloaded the other portion when he was on DS1. These show the location of the first Jedi Temple on Ach-To, which is where Luke is believed to be.

Luke and Anakin both had a good deal of training. Over a decade in Anakins case, though considerably less so for Luke. But, training he had. Prior to meeting Luke on Ach-to, what training, exactly, did Rey have?

Luke and Anakin both had a good deal of training. Over a decade in Anakins case, though considerably less so for Luke. But, training he had. Prior to meeting Luke on Ach-to, what training, exactly, did Rey have?

Yes, Anakin had Jedi training. But no Force training, as in training to lift objects, or what have you. A Force-sensitive person doesn't need training in order lift objects in the Force. They just simply have to do it.

Is this part of your head canon or what? Where in the Star Wars galaxy is a "force sensitive" shown to do anything aside from broom boy? Or is that the entirety of your evidence?

Jedi training is Force training. Sith training is Force training. Nightsister training is Force training. The various other sects of Force users from the EU... Their training is Force training.

Well they showed the STUPID map that Luke left... Duh

Ray was trained by no one... Instant power with the force. Pathetic writing.

Isn't there already a thread for TLJ and everything that is good/bad about it or am I mistaken and everything has been merged into this thread?

Well they showed the STUPID map that Luke left... Duh

Ray was trained by no one... Instant power with the force. Pathetic writing.

Luke never left a map. Hop on Wookieepedia and do some reading.

I'm assuming you are referring to the scene where she lifts a couple hundred rocks. Let me ask you this. Could Rey lift one rock? If you answer yes, then why can't she lift a couple hundred rocks? What's the difference between lifting one rock and and hundreds of rocks?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back