Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

Shame though...... I quite liked The Wook.

But I guess thats what happens when you annoy the wrong people. I'll just smile politely and retreat back into the shadows....:angel
Thank you for giving us all a perfect example of why we don't allow the "non-prop related" discussion of banned members. It had absolutely nothing to do with the silly notion of annoying "the wrong people". It was two members that simply refused to leave each other alone and their continual insistence on derailing threads they participated in.

So on that note, let's please get back to the topic of the thread, thanks.

So anywayyyyyyyy...
Has there been any official word on Ms. Kennedy stepping down or is it still speculation?

Reactions: JPH

Thank you for giving us all a perfect example of why we don't allow the "non-prop related" discussion of banned members. It had absolutely nothing to do with the silly notion of annoying "the wrong people". It was two members that simply refused to leave each other alone and their continual insistence on derailing threads they participated in.

So on that note, let's please get back to the topic of the thread, thanks.

:lol what was the topic of this thread again? I'm pretty sure ran off about 30 pages ago.

- - - Updated - - -

I feel like this appropriate to share here https://youtu.be/1Ao_3jjj_FM

So anywayyyyyyyy...
Has there been any official word on Ms. Kennedy stepping down or is it still speculation?

Still completely speculation. It's been a month since this thread was posted and there's no announcement.

At this point, I strongly doubt her firing is imminent.

Not just speculation, a rumour. There was supposedly a conference call between heads of several Disney properties with Bob Iger about there being a search for Kennedy's replacement.

The articles in the OP mention that she would be handing over the reins in September.

Last edited:

Only a matter of time and not a second too soon imo, at least that is what I am being told

I think this whole talk of fixing or remaking TLJ is absurd because it won't change the canon or fate of the characters in their ends.

The only thing that could ever change Episode 8 is if someone pulled a Rian Johnson "Looper" time travel move and have him removed before being given the project. And we wouldn't know this because it will have changed today and TLJ will have ceased to exist in the form it does now, hahah!

Clearly MANY are upset and deeply concerned over the future and direction of the franchise. I don't think it's dead. It's just a big hole to dig out of and steer back in the right direction.

I think Disney is learning and finding out that they can't slap Star Wars on anything and we'll bite and Solo was their wake up call for that. They'll re-assess and get the train back on track. I think Disney is too big of a company to let something die that quickly. They care (they have A TON invested in its future with the whole land they're building in both California and Florida devoted to Star Wars). They thought they had the right person running things in the film house and trusted the process. KK his responsible for the success of a great many films over the years, so you'd think it was a clear win having her run LFL, and she made public statements and promises of how the legacy characters would be treated, but she lied and had a different agenda.

Based on all that has transpired over this past 7 months they clearly don't have the best person for the job any more and I think things will change and we will all find out in due time.

Disney has not historically been one to make public statements so quickly. I'll bet though they are working like mad behind the scenes and all kinds of things are going on without our knowing.

I truly believe changes are happening right now as we speak. We just don't know anything about it right now. The Mouse has a way of keeping things quiet.

Last edited:

If KK loses the job it won't be over TLJ putting the wrong words in Luke Skywalker's mouth. It will be over the Rogue One and Solo productions being mishandled.

I still think we are going to hear George being mentioned as a consultant when the dust settles. It brings aboard George fans, but gives enough distance that fans aren't worried about a repeat of the prequels.

And what's the crime of Kathleen Kennedy, Disney, Lucasfilm? They tried to make good Star Wars films, by choosing fans to make them. J.J., Gareth, Rian, Ron, are all Star Wars fans. These movies have been nothing more than golrified fan films. And if I know anything about Star Wars fans it's, what one loves, the other hates.

I still think we are going to hear George being mentioned as a consultant when the dust settles. It brings aboard George fans, but gives enough distance that fans aren't worried about a repeat of the prequels.

Well we know Rian and him talked on the phone at least once. And he showed up the set of Solo.

I think this whole talk of fixing or remaking TLJ is absurd because it won't change the canon or fate of the characters in their ends.

The only thing that could ever change Episode 8 is if someone pulled a Rian Johnson "Looper" time travel move and have him removed before being given the project. And we wouldn't know this because it will have changed today and TLJ will have ceased to exist in the form it does now, hahah!

Clearly MANY are upset and deeply concerned over the future and direction of the franchise. I don't think it's dead. It's just a big hole to dig out of and steer back in the right direction.

I think Disney is learning and finding out that they can't slap Star Wars on anything and we'll bite and Solo was their wake up call for that. They'll re-assess and get the train back on track. I think Disney is too big of a company to let something die that quickly. They care (they have A TON invested in its future with the whole land they're building in both California and Florida devoted to Star Wars). They thought they had the right person running things in the film house and trusted the process. KK his responsible for the success of a great many films over the years, so you'd think it was a clear win having her run LFL, and she made public statements and promises of how the legacy characters would be treated, but she lied and had a different agenda.

Based on all that has transpired over this past 7 months they clearly don't have the best person for the job any more and I think things will change and we will all find out in due time.

Disney has not historically been one to make public statements so quickly. I'll bet though they are working like mad behind the scenes and all kinds of things are going on without our knowing.

I truly believes changes are happening right now as we speak. We just don't know anything about it right now. The Mouse has a way of keeping things quiet.

This^
Someone with Kennedy`s standing and influence in that very tight community would never be publicly "fired" unless the law etc were involved. Great care is being taken to make it look like it was her decision and that she has greener pastures to move on to blah blah blah. Is it really surprising that Disney are moving like a fully laden turning cargo ship on this given their lack of response to the current Star Wars drama`s?

- - - Updated - - -

Aaaaand we're off to the races again...

Did you seriously think it would just end at your contribution?

Show me ONE Star Wars fan that HATES the empire strikes back........

I’ll wait......

And what's the crime of Kathleen Kennedy, Disney, Lucasfilm? They tried to make good Star Wars films, by choosing fans to make them. J.J., Gareth, Rian, Ron, are all Star Wars fans. These movies have been nothing more than golrified fan films. And if I know anything about Star Wars fans it's, what one loves, the other hates.

I’ll wait......

The love that the fans have for ESB is rather new. It really developed after the release of ROTJ and TPM. Just look up some reviews for the film back in 1980. It divided the fans back then.

June 15, 1980, Vincent Canby wrote this in The New York Times:
The Empire Strikes Back is not a truly terrible movie. It’s a nice movie. It’s not, by any means, as nice as Star Wars. It’s not as fresh and funny and surprising and witty, but it is nice and inoffensive and, in a way that no one associated with it need be ashamed of, it’s also silly. Attending to it is a lot like reading the middle of a comic book. It is amusing in fitful patches but you’re likely to find more beauty, suspense, discipline, craft and art when watching a New York harbor pilot bring the Queen Elizabeth 2 into her Hudson River berth, which is what The Empire Strikes Back most reminds me of. It’s a big, expensive, time-consuming, essentially mechanical operation. The Empire Strikes Back is about as personal as a Christmas card from a bank.”

I really like this one. I pretty sure I've seen fans have said almost the exact same thing about TLJ

Richard Hess:
"George Lucas has made a movie even more racist and sexist than the first. I would think that Billy Dee Williams would resent being the token black in the film. Also, there was only one other woman, apart from Carrie Fisher, in the movie."

Last edited by a moderator:

This^
Someone with Kennedy`s standing and influence in that very tight community would never be publicly "fired" unless the law etc were involved. Great care is being taken to make it look like it was her decision and that she has greener pastures to move on to blah blah blah. Is it really surprising that Disney are moving like a fully laden turning cargo ship on this given their lack of response to the current Star Wars drama`s?

Take this with a big grain of salt, I mean big. But I've heard rumors that they can't just up and fire her because no one wants the responsibility. No one wants to get volunteer themselves to get crucified.

George is a consultant for as long as he wants to provide his input, that has always been the plan
I mean in some sort of official capacity or title. I know he was named one when the sale happened, but that rather publicly wasn't the case for long.

I’ll wait......

My cousin's kids. They grew up with the Clone Wars tv show. To them, thats Star Wars. They've seen the OT and even the PT. They don't hate them perse, but they don't care about any of them. All the stuff thats come out since 2012 hasn't really interested them either, but ask them about Clone Wars and they light up. One will even recite dialog from his favorite episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back