Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

You sound like you're a very young man, Joe.

People change.

In addition to that, he surrounded himself with extraordinarily talented people for the '77 and '80 films. People who had major influences on making those films the masterpieces they are. (Try reading George's insomnia-curing 7-paragraph opening crawl, before Brian DePalma told him he was nuts, and re-wrote it down to the brilliant and magical 3-paragraph final version that we all know by heart today.) But the incredible success of those first two films made George rich, and famous, and he began surrounding himself instead with "Yes" men. And that's when George began to lose his SWIQ, and the franchise began to lose its luster.

The Wook

I still don't know how you can lose your IQ of fantasy world that you created. I think that would impossible. When you create a world, it is what you say it is. You create the do's and don'ts of the world. Your IQ of that world is automatically maxed out. No one else is going to understand your creation better than you.

GL had his reasons for parting ways with Kurtz though. Kurtz didn't keep ESB on schedule. It was GL's own personal money & control of the franchise on the line. He had bet everything on ESB being another huge box-office success. That was a genuine risk in 1978-79.

I still don't know how you can lose your IQ of fantasy world that you created. I think that would impossible. When you create a world, it is what you say it is. You create the do's and don'ts of the world. Your IQ of that world is automatically maxed out. No one else is going to understand your creation better than you.

Then I can't make you understand, Joe.

All I can say is this. If George Lucas could read your post, he would LOVE you! ;)

The Wook

Then I can't make you understand, Joe.

All I can say is this. If George Lucas could read your post, he would LOVE you! ;)

The Wook

I wish you'd try and explain cause I'm soooo confused.

Do you realize how many brain cells you'd have to lose in order to understand this so called SWIQ? Be grateful you don't understand. Its a good thing.

I don't claim to be the biggest Star Wars fan. (I can't afford it:lol) But as far as I see it. These new movies seem to align with everything we know about the universe.

I wish you'd try and explain cause I'm soooo confused.

Okay. Let's take it out of the Star Wars galaxy, to remove some of our passions from the discussion. And let's entertain a hypothetical, grotesque and extreme though it may be.

If J.K. Rowling came out with a new Harry Potter book next week, telling the story of the kids now grown up, as 20-somethings, and the following were the 3 main storylines...

* Harry is married to Ginny, but they are miserable, and he beats her
* Hermione lost her magic, and having split from Ron, has turned to a life of prostitution
* Ron was hired as a T.A. at Hogwarts, where he's secretly molesting students

...would you say that J.K. has retained her HPIQ which she established with the earlier Potter books, or would you say she lost her HPIQ (perhaps, along with her mind)?

The latter is the correct answer, I'm trusting you'll agree.

The Wook

Okay. Let's take it out of the Star Wars galaxy, to remove some of our passions from the discussion. And let's entertain a hypothetical, grotesque and extreme though it may be.

If J.K. Rowling came out with a new Harry Potter book next week, telling the story of the kids now grown up, as 20-somethings, and the following were the 3 main storylines...

* Harry is married to Ginny, but they are miserable, and he beats her
* Hermione lost her magic, and having split from Ron, has turned to a life of prostitution
* Ron was hired as a T.A. at Hogwarts, where he's secretly molesting students

...would you say that J.K. has retained her HPIQ which she established with the earlier Potter books, or would you say she lost her HPIQ (perhaps, along with her mind)?

The latter is the correct answer, I'm trusting you'll agree.

The Wook

IQ - Intelligence Quotient

Yeah I don't agree. If Rowling had done something like that. We would think that she lost her mind. But she didn't lose her "IQ". When you are the creator, you are the final authority on your creation. Doesn't matter if you do stupid and weird stuff. You own that universe. You created it, you can do whatever the heck you want. To say that the creator lost his or her "IQ" on their creation, is to suggest that someone else understands their universe better than the creator. So unless some sort of mind melding is going on, that isn't going to be happening.

If that were the case though. Then Gene Roddenberry lost his Star Trek "IQ" when he soft rebooted Star Trek not once but twice. And J.R.R. Tolkien lost his Middle-Earth "IQ" when he wrote The Lord of the Rings.

The RPF used to be a place I went to get away and talk about things that made me happy.

I wish more of the youngsters could see how this place was 10 years ago.

I get your attempted analogy Wook.

The other side of the fence people NEVER will.

Battlefield Earth was a better Star Wars film than TLJ. I would trade all that I own to be able to unsee TLJ.

How anyone could stand watching it makes me worry more about their IQ... IQ more than their SWIQ...

But what’s the point in arguing it?

It’s like Joey Pantalone said in the Matrix “ignorance is bliss!”

When 4 billion dollars is spent on a franchise, the purchaser becomes the final authority on the fictional universe. Whether we like it or not the mouse chose KK. Hopefully the next person in charge will have an actual plan instead of just chucking everything against the wall to see what sticks.

When 4 billion dollars is spent on a franchise, the purchaser becomes the final authority on the fictional universe. Whether we like it or not the mouse chose KK. Hopefully the next person in charge will have an actual plan instead of just chucking everything against the wall to see what sticks.

Oh no, she had a plan, all right.

Unfortunately it was a selfish SJW-driven plan, and not the SWIQ-driven plan the franchise's devoted fans deserved.

Last edited:

To be accurate, George hired her.

Roddenberry not only lost his STIQ, but his control of the franchise, with “The Motion Picture”

A lot of what made TOS great was done by Gene Cooon

Next Gen owes a debt to quite a few who were screwed over by the Great Bird Of The Galaxy

Then Gene Roddenberry lost his Star Trek "IQ" when he soft rebooted Star Trek not once but twice.

Umm George put Kathleen Kennedy in charge before he sold Lucasfilm. She was co-president for something like 6 months, then he sold Lucasfilm, and she became the full president.

Not after you've sold it, you're not.

This is sad but true. But I have a feeling that if George showed up on set one day, and said 'absolutely not!' to something. They'd probably not do it. They respect George for what he did. There was someone who asked Kathleen if they would re-release the original versions of the OT. She said that latest version of the films is George's vision, so no.

But Disney retained her in that position. George hasn't been officially involved in decision making since the sale has he?

Not officially, he shows up on set sometimes or makes a phone call suggesting stuff. Most of George's influence on the new trilogy comes from some meetings he had Kathleen and Lawrence, before the sale. Though he did give his treatments for 7,8, and 9. And there's been some suggestion that they are following the basic structure of those. For instance, it seems that much of the Acho-To concept art was done before TFA, and George chose the designs that he liked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back