Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

I like Rey. I love plenty of films with tough female leads (Sarah Connor, The Bride, Ellen Ripley, Furiosa, River Tam). What I don't like is endless media harping about "the force is female" and so on.

99.5% of people I know aren't bigots. 100% of people I know hate being preached at, lectured, and harangued.

KK can't control herself or her employees on social and legacy media. They damage the brand by insulting their customers.

I like Rey. I liked TLJ. KK still ought to go, and the sooner someone comes in and gets control of Lucasfilm employees, the better.

I don't understand the hate for Kathleen Kennedy. I mean has everyone thought that maybe the way she's running things is exactly how George wanted her to? She goes way back. Her first time as a producer was Raiders of the Lost Ark! And Lawrence Kasdan says he and her have been friends for 40 years! I hear people saying she lied to George, but there's no evidence. What I see is that George Lucas chose a long time friend to replace him.

I liked Rey in TFA .

The Rey character in TLJ went from still likeable to loathed ... mainly because , but not limited to -
She doesn’t know anything about Luke ( except what she may of heard of him ) and doesn’t really know Kylo Ren , except for the fact that he tried to kill Finn and herself a few days earlier . Oh , and she witnessed him murdering his own father too .

Yet , she goes from wanting Luke’s help and guidance with this new found ability within her - but not getting it ( due to someone subverting expectations :facepalm ) , to attacking him with his own lightsaber whilst believing Ren’s version of events over Luke’s regarding their ‘ fallout ‘ !?
And she believes she can redeem him by appealing to his better nature ?... Yeah ... good one !

Don’t really have a strong opinion about KK ..., except she should reconsider giving away any SW related Trilogy / film to that hack RJ .

:cheersGed

Last edited:

I agree that Rian's head is most likely to roll next. The only commitment they have to him is an announcement about another trilogy. That was made during the marketing push for his lone episode. If they wanted more of Rian's work so much then you have to ask why they didn't put him on episode 9. Hiring JJA back for #9 looks like a retreat to safety.

Kennedy is the big boss of LFL. It's not her problem to put the right words in Luke Skywalker's mouth, it's her job to choose those people. If she gets unseated then it probably has more to do with revolving door of directors in SW movies.

Fans act like 'Solo' was a bad result?
No. The prequels were bad results. 'Batman vs Superman' was a bad result. 'Fantastic 4' was a bad result.
'Solo' was a decent result.

But 'Solo' should be, since KK basically had the movie filmed twice and then picked the better version. A lot of producers would have better success records if they had the option to go around shooting their movies like that. 'Rogue One' proves it wasn't an isolated incident. TLJ proves that even the good decisions from KK aren't airtight.

But after all this bashing, I don't think KK has done such a terrible job. We compare her results to some idealized flawless execution of 4 new Star Wars movies in 4 years and that isn't fair. I struggle to think of a harder challenge for a producer than this one. Some other producers have more consistent records but I don't think most of their jobs are as challenging. It's easier to please when you are making 'Harry Potter' or Marvel movies. The story framework is already there and you just need to assemble the pieces correctly. Or 'Fast and Furious' flicks, where the expectations are never very high and you just try to keep it interesting. Or Michael Bay's 'Transformers' and 'TMNT' movies that never get any better but people keep showing up anyway.

Last edited:

that SWIQ stuff is a load of condescending horse****. You're a guy in a wookie suit, not the final arbiter of what is and isn't Star Wars.

For the UMPTEENTH time, my SWIQ is measured against the absolute SWIQ, the same as yours is.

If you and I agree on EVERYTHING related to what does and does not belong in a new Star Wars movie, then our SWIQs are the same, given they measure up equally to the absolute SWIQ standard, as established by the theatrical cuts of Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back. However, if we disagree on even one thing--let's say, the inclusion of Yo Momma prank calls-- then one of us has a higher SWIQ than the other. You say the gag is befitting a Star Wars film. I say it is not. One of us right. One of us is wrong.

you're more than welcome to voice your opinions about what does and doesn't belong in Star Wars. But if you could lay off generalizing it in a way that reads as if those who don't agree with you are in some way lesser, or LOW, that would be rad.

Listen, I get it. You're a liberal, and qualifiers such as the word, "Low", offends your hypersensitivities. So, while I do not go around this site telling individual members I disagree with that they have a low SWIQ--instead, I generally reserve the term for calling out Disney's low-SWIQ filmmakers--I give you my word, Paul Andrew, that if I ever again criticize your understanding of what does and does not belong in a Star Wars movie, and I feel inclined to put a label on it, I will not say you have a low SWIQ, but will be much more PC, for your sake, and will refer to you instead as, "SWIQ-challenged".

The Wook

Last edited:

In our hearts.

Yes, but who is the arbiter of this? Hell, even Lucas didn't seem to know that much about it going into the prequels, necessitating all kinds of mental gymnastics on the part of EU authors and fans to make things fit.

Like Leia claiming that she vaguely remembered her mother. Really? How is this possible when Padme died in child birth? If it's some quirk of the Force that's allowing Leia to remember her biological mother, then why doesn't Luke who didn't actually have a mother to raise him as Leia did (Bail was, after all, married and Leia pointedly referred to him as her father)?

The point is that bandying about a term like "SWIQ" is nothing more than gatekeeping bull**** and doesn't belong in the fandom. After all, if I know the distinction between Kashyyk and Shyriiwook, but the next fan who loves the movies doesn't, that doesn't make me more worthy of respect than them. It just means I have devoted more time and energy into absorbing knowledge that has absolutely no practical value except MAYBE to winning free drinks during Star Wars Trivia night at the local bar.

Yes, but who is the arbiter of [SWIQ]?

There is no arbiter. The absolute SWIQ exists absolutely. It simply is. Like gravity, and electromagnetism. Some fans are closely aligned with it, in terms of what does and does not belong in a Star Wars film. Other fans, not so much.

But everyone thinks they're right, and judges those whose understanding deviates from their own, accordingly. It's perfectly natural. It's perfectly logical. And every devout Star Wars fan should be proud of his SWIQ--no matter how hideously low it may actually be, unbeknownst to him, or her.

if I know the distinction between Kashyyk and Shyriiwook, but the next fan who loves the movies doesn't, that doesn't make me more worthy of respect than them. It just means I have devoted more time and energy into absorbing knowledge that has absolutely no practical value except MAYBE to winning free drinks during Star Wars Trivia night at the local bar.

No, you're not more worthy of respect as a person--I defy you to show me where I ever said that. Buuuut, of course you're more worthy of respect when it comes to Star Wars facts (the other aspect of SWIQ). Just like I respect Mike Trout (MLB's best player) more than I trust you, when it comes to baseball history and BBIQ. Just like I trust @Bryancd more than I trust you, when it comes to cycling. Just like I trust @SofaKing more than I trust you, when it comes to building a 1:1 Falcon cockpit. And just like I trust @kristen jones more than I trust you, when it comes to Victorian furniture and decor. There's nothing wrong with that, whatsoever.

bandying about a term like "SWIQ" is nothing more than gatekeeping bull**** and doesn't belong in the fandom.

Ah yes, the left's go-to reflex when something doesn't jibe with their progressive agenda: CENSORSHIP! :lol Well, you say SWIQ doesn't belong in Star Wars fandom, and I say you're wrong. Star Wars fandom is a large enough tent to accommodate high-SWIQ fans, medium-SWIQ fans, low-SWIQ fans, and even those fans like you who deny its existence and want any talk supporting its existence, banned from fandom. Good grief.

The Wook

There is no arbiter. The absolute SWIQ exists absolutely. It simply is. Like gravity, and electromagnetism. Some fans are closely aligned with it, in terms of what does and does not belong in a Star Wars film. Other fans, not so much.

But everyone thinks they're right, and judges those whose understanding deviates from their own, accordingly. It's perfectly natural. It's perfectly logical. And every devout Star Wars fan should be proud of his SWIQ--no matter how hideously low it may actually be, unbeknownst to him, or her.

No, you're not more worthy of respect as a person--I defy you to show me where I ever said that. Buuuut, of course you're more worthy of respect when it comes to Star Wars facts (the other aspect of SWIQ). Just like I respect Mike Trout (MLB's best player) more than I trust you, when it comes to baseball history and BBIQ. Just like I trust @Bryancd more than I trust you, when it comes to cycling. Just like I trust @SofaKing more than I trust you, when it comes to building a 1:1 Falcon cockpit. And just like I trust @kristen jones more than I trust you, when it comes to Victorian furniture and decor. There's nothing wrong with that, whatsoever.

Ah yes, the left's go-to reflex when something doesn't jibe with their progressive agenda: CENSORSHIP! :lol Well, you say SWIQ doesn't belong in Star Wars fandom, and I say you're wrong. Star Wars fandom is a large enough tent to accommodate high-SWIQ fans, medium-SWIQ fans, low-SWIQ fans, and even those fans like you who deny its existence and want any talk supporting its existence, banned from fandom. Good grief.

The Wook
You literally created a force of nature in your mind.
SWIQ is your own personal fanfic. I get it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back