Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

I have to say. When I first saw TLJ I wasn't sure what to think about it. So much happened! But as I've watched it a couple of more times, and had time to mull things over in my head, I've definitely like the film. Is it my favorite film or Star Wars movie? No way. But I still like it, and I rate it higher than ATOC OR TPM. Though it rates lower than ROTS.

From my perspective the PT is just so poorly made I can't even reconcile them. AOTC isn't just the worst Star Wars movie to me, it's actually one of the worst films ever made. Digital cinema cameras weren't quite there, the green screen work wildly varies, structurally it's a bunch of nonsense. Add in terrible acting, straight up awful acting, and unimaginative directing and I just can't even. The PT never felt like Star Wars to me. AT best they were extended cut scenes from Star Wars video games.

As much as I struggle with TLJ's plotting and structure (I flip flop on the Luke issue), it is still the most amazing Star Wars film made to date in terms of production design, visuals, and effects work. Even if I don't like all the story decisions, the performances, Mark Hamill especially, are top notch. So no matter how much I may take issue with most of the film, it at least feels like a competent film to me, which the PT could never muster.

From my perspective the PT is just so poorly made I can't even reconcile them. AOTC isn't just the worst Star Wars movie to me, it's actually one of the worst films ever made. Digital cinema cameras weren't quite there, the green screen work wildly varies, structurally it's a bunch of nonsense. Add in terrible acting, straight up awful acting, and unimaginative directing and I just can't even. The PT never felt like Star Wars to me. AT best they were extended cut scenes from Star Wars video games.

As much as I struggle with TLJ's plotting and structure (I flip flop on the Luke issue), it is still the most amazing Star Wars film made to date in terms of production design, visuals, and effects work. Even if I don't like all the story decisions, the performances, Mark Hamill especially, are top notch. So no matter how much I may take issue with most of the film, it at least feels like a competent film to me, which the PT could never muster.

I understand the troubles that people have with the PT. I went from loving the prequels, to disliking them, to understanding, appreciating, and enjoying them for their place in the story. Not to mention some the powerful visuals that George put in. He's always been able to tell more story with visuals then with dialogue.

I came across this one recently
d90f1dc4477c98f39fb341da25b38b69.jpg
I never noticed before how George framed the shots to mirror each other. As one dies the other is reborn.

I agree with almost everything you've said,TLJ also had a fantastic score, an improvement on TFA.....but the balance of good v poor tips this film into the skip for me.....it joins the Prequels on the 'not buy on home video' section

J

People are quick to shout "Haters" at even people that just genuinely didn't enjoy a film because of a lack of quality. A lot of that happened with Ghostbusters Answer The Call. Everyone was suddenly/supposedly sexist, etc, when most people just thought it looked like crap.

I understand the troubles that people have with the PT. I went from loving the prequels, to disliking them, to understanding, appreciating, and enjoying them for their place in the story. Not to mention some the powerful visuals that George put in. He's always been able to tell more story with visuals then with dialogue.

I came across this one recently
View attachment 824776
I never noticed before how George framed the shots to mirror each other. As one dies the other is reborn.

Vader also takes his first breathe as Padme takes her last.

People are quick to shout "Haters" at even people that just genuinely didn't enjoy a film because of a lack of quality. A lot of that happened with Ghostbusters Answer The Call. Everyone was suddenly/supposedly sexist, etc, when most people just thought it looked like crap.

Thats funny because I saw those events exactly the opposite. With Ghostbusters and TLJ, there definitely were some people who were trying to mask their racist and sexist attitudes as genuine criticism of the films. Then, when the rest of fandom fought back, these people retaliated with claims of being victims of SJWs and all the other catchphrases those types like to throw around.

Then there were the people you talk about, who just didn't enjoy said films. For some reason we would see these people say the same thing you just did. That they were being painted with a broad brush, when in fact nothing could be further from the truth. If the racist\sexist label doesn't apply to you, then you weren't who people were talking about. Plain and simple.

Thats funny because I saw those events exactly the opposite. With Ghostbusters and TLJ, there definitely were some people who were trying to mask their racist and sexist attitudes as genuine criticism of the films. Then, when the rest of fandom fought back, these people retaliated with claims of being victims of SJWs and all the other catchphrases those types like to throw around.

Then there were the people you talk about, who just didn't enjoy said films. For some reason we would see these people say the same thing you just did. That they were being painted with a broad brush, when in fact nothing could be further from the truth. If the racist\sexist label doesn't apply to you, then you weren't who people were talking about. Plain and simple.

Except with Ghostbusters painting with a broad brush was literally part of the marketing campaign after the execs figured out nobody wanted to see their crappy movie.

Thus all criticism on the movie became the fault of racist/sexist man-children who couldn't handle the fact that the movie featured "strong" woman.

Except with Ghostbusters painting with a broad brush was literally part of the marketing campaign after the execs figured out nobody wanted to see their crappy movie.

Thus all criticism on the movie became the fault of racist/sexist man-children who couldn't handle the fact that the movie featured "strong" woman.

Is that your observation or are were you privy to actual conversations with the marketing dept that detailed this plan?

I think people have their expectations set to way to high. These will never match up to the originals. It's impossible.

No, it's NOT impossible. And a ton of fans have set their expectations too LOW, quite frankly. Of course the novelty of first Star Wars, and the cultural phenomenon of the entire OT, can never be reproduced. However, the feel, vibe, pacing, and look can be reproduced, in a new Star Wars film--if only we can get the reins into the hands of high-SWIQ filmmakers. Not the parade of low-SWIQ hacks Disney has trotted out there so far.

The Wook

Strong women that were rendered speechless and moronic in the presence of a hot guy. There's a reason the feminists quietened down after it was released.

Ghostbusters is a good comparison here. I disliked TLJ because it is literally **** poor film making and story telling. I saw nothing good on that screen, not one frame. The pretty graphics and explosions were not enough to save this.
And it royally annoys me that I have to defend myself against claims of sexism and misogyny. I don't see any agenda in the ST, I don't get that complaint, it;s not there. That has no bearing on why I hate this film and I suspect there are others like me that don't want to be tarred with that brush.

It's pretty easy to tell who has valid complaints, and who is a sexist (or homophobe, or MRA, or what have you) in disguise. You just have to push a little and they will expose themselves. People with legit complaints tend to be able to back them up with evidence. I think the term Mary Sue is idiotic, and I don't think Rey is one in the context of Star Wars, but I full get why some people feel she is, and that doesn't mean they are sexist.

People crapping their pants when TWO Star Wars movies in a row had female leads-- I buy the "I'm not sexist but" line a lot less with those people.

I'm pro feminism and pro-remake under the right circumstances and I didn't love Ghostbusters. Not because of the cast, but because it just wasn't very funny. THAT was its biggest, and only, mistake in my eyes.

No, it's NOT impossible. And a ton of fans have set their expectations too LOW, quite frankly. Of course the novelty of first Star Wars, and the cultural phenomenon of the entire OT, can never be reproduced. However, the feel, vibe, pacing, and look can be reproduced, in a new Star Wars film--if only we can get the reins into the hands of high-SWIQ filmmakers. Not the parade of low-SWIQ hacks Disney has trotted out there so far.

The Wook

So the people making Star Wars have a low SWIQ??? Yet they have some of most knowledgeable people working at Lucasfilm. Dave Filoni and Pablo Hildago probably know more about Star Wars besides Mr. Lucas.

It seemingly never ends with these movies and some obviously play on that fact way to much as they think it gives them some kind of self righteous credibility. It doesnt.

And you notice JJ Abrams took the same tack for anyone who didn't like TLJ.

So the people making Star Wars have a low SWIQ??? Yet they have some of most knowledgeable people working at Lucasfilm. Dave Filoni and Pablo Hildago probably know more about Star Wars besides Mr. Lucas.

Dave Filoni?? The guy who made whales flying through space at .5 past lightspeed canon?!? That Dave Filoni??!!

'Nuff said.

Dave Filoni?? The guy who made whales flying through space at .5 past lightspeed canon?!? That Dave Filoni??!!

'Nuff said.

So? Whats wrong with that? Oh and that's the same Dave Filoni that George said was like a son to him or something to that effect. I guarantee he knows more about the Star Wars universe that you or I.

So? Whats wrong with that? Oh and that's the same Dave Filoni that George said was like a son to him or something to that effect. I guarantee he knows more about the Star Wars universe that you or I.

"What's wrong with that?"???!!! Shirley, you can't be serious.

As for being mentored by George Lucas, that's enough right there to tell you Filoni has a low SWIQ. I love George, and am forever grateful to him--but the man lost his SWIQ decades ago, somewhere between 1980 and 1983.

The Wook

"What's wrong with that?"???!!! Shirley, you can't be serious.

As for being mentored by George Lucas, that's enough right there to tell you Filoni has a low SWIQ. I love George, and am forever grateful to him--but the man lost his SWIQ decades ago, somewhere between 1980 and 1983.

The Wook

????? I'm not even sure you know what you're talking about anymore. How could George lose his SWIQ??? He created Star Wars!

????? I'm not even sure you know what you're talking about anymore. How could George lose his SWIQ??? He created Star Wars!

You sound like you're a very young man, Joe.

People change.

In addition to that, he surrounded himself with extraordinarily talented people for the '77 and '80 films. People who had major influences on making those films the masterpieces they are. (Try reading George's insomnia-curing 7-paragraph opening crawl, before Brian DePalma told him he was nuts, and re-wrote it down to the brilliant and magical 3-paragraph final version that we all know by heart today.) But the incredible success of those first two films made George rich, and famous, and he began surrounding himself instead with "Yes" men. And that's when George began to lose his SWIQ, and the franchise began to lose its luster.

The Wook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back