Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

Could you all stop pointing out the flaws in TLJ. It makes it harder to convince myself I like it.

Just love it for what it is. I think the prequels are really bad, particularly ATOC, but I still love it. Star Wars is like family, you love it even though it has flaws.

TLJ was not a perfect movie nor a perfect Star Wars. But it was good film. When people say that Luke was character "assassinated" that's their opinion. In my opinion he wasn't. Was he "perfect"? No way. To suggest that there was only one way to do Luke in the sequel trilogy is really silly. I think that Luke in TLJ was a logical progression of what he learned of him in TFA.

So you go on liking what movies you want and disliking what movies you want. Don't let anyone tell otherwise. If you love TLJ, cool! If you hate it, cool! If you just like it or just dislike it, cool!!!

Really the more I think about, the more I realize that Star Wars fans were kinda stupid, myself included. We should have expected Luke in TLJ. No one thought it was fishy that Luke had run away and didn't tell anyone where he had gone? When I rewatched TFA after I saw TLJ, I was kicking myself that I had not figured it out.
I expected Luke was trying to gain some new insight in the Force to help with the situation, but Ruin perverted my expectations.

Just love it for what it is...
I can't love crap for being crap.

...TLJ was not a perfect movie nor a perfect Star Wars. But it was good film...
It was a steaming puddle of dog diarrhea. In my opinion, of course.

I expected Luke was trying to gain some new insight in the Force to help with the situation, but Ruin perverted my expectations.[/I]

Here's my problem with that idea. Yoda and Obi-Wan were doing that in the OT. But they told people where they could be found. But Luke just up and disappeared! And didn't tell anyone what he was doing. Why didn't anyone figure that out when TFA came out?

Some former comic book artist turn industry insider.

Oh, Ethan? Lol-- gotcha. I have a lot to say about him and his track record of truth, but you can't talk about him without it getting political, so I won't.

So, since this rumor apparently has a rumored timeframe in which it will occur, is there some sort of deadline after which we can say it’s dead? Maybe if October comes with no word?

Or will it transition from being a rumor thread to a wish thread?

:facepalm

Just gonna re-quote this:

I'll add just a bit this time. Kristen, when someone's post mentions objective metrics such as the box office return, marketing budget, age of the primary actor/actress, etc., then it is understood that they are representing this information as FACT.

In all other cases, when people make statements like "Luke's character was treated poorly in TLJ," "Star Wars is broken and has lost its direction," "Disney is in crisis mode," etc. it is understood that these subjective viewpoints are the specific OPINIONS of the poster, and there really is no need to consistently and constantly admonish people for not labeling them as such each and every time they express a view.

Seriously, you've become like that judge played by Ana Gasteyer in "The Good Wife" that forced every lawyer in her courtroom to end every statement with "in my opinion."

yeah... Ok. Sure.

If this is all such common knowledge to everyone here ... why did you feel it was necessary to say anything?

I suppose your "schooling" of me isn't at all a case of "taking up the mantle of Captain Obvious", then?

Whatever, man. Sorry i disturbed your peaceful Monday afternoon. Carry On.

- - - Updated - - -

When people say that Luke was character "assassinated" that's their opinion.

Be careful pointing out things like this... it's apparently common knowledge, and if you state these things too often you're likely to be branded the champion of Captain obvious or somesuch.

Just looking out for ya ;)

yeah... Ok. Sure.

If this is all such common knowledge to everyone here ... why did you feel it was necessary to say anything?

Because my post wasn't for them. It was for you, a person excluded from the group possessing the aforementioned common knowledge, because it's apparently not been obvious to you that there should be no need for folks to explicitly and unfailingly label their subjective views as being "their opinion." Please let me know if I need to clarify further.

Because it's apparently not been obvious to you that there should be no need for folks to explicitly and unfailingly label their subjective views as being "their opinion."

You are either being willfully ignorant or a troll. There are many people here posting their opinion (educated or not) as fact. This entire thread was based on a pretty flimsy rumor, but that sure didn't stop dozens of people running with it as if its a done deal. FFS its at 89 pages. There are threads on this forum that are actually useful and informative without this many replies.

Just love it for what it is. I think the prequels are really bad, particularly ATOC, but I still love it. Star Wars is like family, you love it even though it has flaws.

TLJ was not a perfect movie nor a perfect Star Wars. But it was good film. When people say that Luke was character "assassinated" that's their opinion. In my opinion he wasn't. Was he "perfect"? No way. To suggest that there was only one way to do Luke in the sequel trilogy is really silly. I think that Luke in TLJ was a logical progression of what he learned of him in TFA.

So you go on liking what movies you want and disliking what movies you want. Don't let anyone tell otherwise. If you love TLJ, cool! If you hate it, cool! If you just like it or just dislike it, cool!!!

Ah, bless you. You know I'm OT but I guess sarcasm doesn't translate. :p What does translate is [just love it for what it is] = [it say Star Wars on it]. Sorry dude, my standards are higher than that. The bar was set many years ago.
It's a bad movie and sadly, there is nothing in it for me to love. I can find more to like in the prequels. Despite the bad wring and acting, it was a preconceived story with relevant progression and character development that played out through three movies. It took us places and showed us things we had not seen and it spawned The Clone Wars series which gave us two of the most beloved female characters.
Episodes I to VI came from the imagination of GL and as such, acceptable as The Star Wars. After that it's just another fan film with a big budget. And the thing with Star Wars fans is they can't agree on what Star Wars is. As evidenced in this and other SW threads.

Disclaimer: the above statement is merely an opinion that does not necessarily reflect the views of the Star Wars fandom.

You are either being willfully ignorant or a troll. There are many people here posting their opinion (educated or not) as fact. This entire thread was based on a pretty flimsy rumor, but that sure didn't stop dozens of people running with it as if its a done deal. FFS its at 89 pages. There are threads on this forum that are actually useful and informative without this many replies.

Check my post count, post history, and join date. It's obvious I'm no troll. I'm just someone who doesn't take kindly to one member consistently patronizing others by saying they must always label the views they express as "their opinion."

As to people stating their opinions "as fact," that's simply called having a strong opinion, or an opinion based on firm conviction. If a person expresses an opinion with such conviction, please feel free to state your disagreement and present your own opinion. But to imply that members constantly must have their wrists slapped because they don't qualify each subjective view expressed with "in my opinion" is a bit offensive, and gets old quick. No one likes to be repeatedly patronized, especially unnecessarily.

If you disagree with my view that folks shouldn't constantly be reminded that their views are their opinion only, fine. But to label me as a "troll" because you disagree...um, ok.

Last edited:

Check my post count, post history, and join date. It's obvious I'm no troll. I'm just someone who doesn't take kindly to one member consistently patronizing others by saying they must always label the views they express as "their opinion."

As to people stating their opinions "as fact," that's simply called having a strong opinion, or an opinion based on firm conviction. If a person expresses an opinion with such conviction, please feel free to state your disagreement and present your own opinion. But to imply that members constantly must have their wrists slapped because they don't qualify each subjective view expressed with "in my opinion" is a bit offensive, and gets old quick. No one likes to be repeatedly patronized, especially unnecessarily.

If you disagree with my view that folks shouldn't constantly be reminded that their views are their opinion only, fine. But to label me as a "troll" because you disagree is just lazy.

Hey, just thought I’d bring this bit of patronizing to your attention, since you mentioned you’re not a fan of it:

Because my post wasn't for them. It was for you, a person excluded from the group possessing the aforementioned common knowledge, because it's apparently not been obvious to you that there should be no need for folks to explicitly and unfailingly label their subjective views as being "their opinion." Please let me know if I need to clarify further.

Hey, just thought I’d bring this bit of patronizing to your attention, since you mentioned you’re not a fan of it:

Stretch.jpg

Ah, bless you. You know I'm OT but I guess sarcasm doesn't translate. :p What does translate is [just love it for what it is] = [it say Star Wars on it]. Sorry dude, my standards are higher than that. The bar was set many years ago.
It's a bad movie and sadly, there is nothing in it for me to love. I can find more to like in the prequels. Despite the bad wring and acting, it was a preconceived story with relevant progression and character development that played out through three movies. It took us places and showed us things we had not seen and it spawned The Clone Wars series which gave us two of the most beloved female characters.
Episodes I to VI came from the imagination of GL and as such, acceptable as The Star Wars. After that it's just another fan film with a big budget. And the thing with Star Wars fans is they can't agree on what Star Wars is. As evidenced in this and other SW threads.

Disclaimer: the above statement is merely an opinion that does not necessarily reflect the views of the Star Wars fandom.

This is what I've been struggling with as of late. I have movies that I hate with a passion. But aren't movies art? And I've seen art I wouldn't give you one penny for, that someone else would gladly shell hundreds of dollars for. So when you or I say a movie is bad, is it a bad movie? After all one man's trash is another's treasure.

This is what I've been struggling with as of late. I have movies that I hate with a passion. But aren't movies art? And I've seen art I wouldn't give you one penny for, that someone else would gladly shell hundreds of dollars for. So when you or I say a movie is bad, is it a bad movie? After all one man's trash is another's treasure.

Exactly. There are always people who seek to take offence or to take the moral high ground. Most rational people understand that a statement like that is the opinion of the person who made it. You say TLJ is a good movie, I say it's a bad movie and no amount of back and forth between us will change the others opinion. But it can offer a different point of view if a person is open to it.

The numbers tell a very clear story actually. After TFA, the excitement for Star Wars was at incredible levels and the huge carrot of Luke Skywalker dangled in audience faces worldwide. Because of this people came in their millions to see him and an exciting second film, thus TLJ making the majority of its money in the first week. Then reality and word of mouth took control of the situation as it always does and the BO for TLJ dropped off the proverbial cliff in its second week and never recovered.

Disney pulled a trick that only an IP like Star Wars ever allows and history showed that it will not be allowed to play a trick like that ever again. The fact that they forced Theatre owners in to a strangling minimum length of stay contract for TLJ and didnt even issue screeners to the theatre owners before release says to me that they new exactly how things would play out. That will not work for them again.

That's not exactly accurate. TLJ did have a second week drop in the US of about 43% where TFA's was about 33%. TFA had the advantage of being the first brand new Star Wars film in a decade though. If you look at the history of the saga this is not unheard of. AOTC had a much higher initial drop than TPM did (37%-17%). The numbers for ANH and ESB are pretty screwy, probably given how ANH initially took off.

If you look at current films like Black Panther and Infinity War you can certainly see that TLJ didn't have the box office staying power that they did, but in terms of films overall TLJ was still in theaters for four months here in the US. It was hardly a slouch. Combined with international box office numbers and it becomes very difficult for me to accept that negative fan word of mouth hurt it much at all. Word of mouth travels at the speed of the internet nowadays, and that movie still takes over two hours to watch.

If you disagree with my view that folks shouldn't constantly be reminded that their views are their opinion only, fine. But to label me as a "troll" because you disagree...um, ok.

Its not because I disagree with your opinion, which was and continues to be, presented in very condescending and patronizing manner. Its because your posts have an air of being disingenuous. Going through your posts wouldn't prove or disprove anything. There are tons of people (lots in this very thread or others like them) who can come off as sane, rational, and fairly kind. Then you bring up certain topics and they turn into a totally different person.

...your posts have an air of being disingenuous...

Man, I'm at a loss here. "Disingenous"? Nope. Please rest assured that I dislike, most sincerely (nothing disingenous about it), forum members being repeatedly patronized and admonished for not specifically labeling their views as only "their opinion," when this should be obvious.

Consider two friends walking out of a movie they both disliked. One says "In my opinion, that movie was terrible." The other more directly and succinctly states "That movie sucked!" Yes, if you want to get technical, the second guy didn't qualify his view in any way and instead "expressed his opinion as fact," but if we drop all pretenses here, I think we can agree that this is just the way people talk. We don't preface every opinion with "I think..." or end them with "in my opinion." In most cases these qualifying phrases are simply left off. Would any of us actually turn to the second friend and say, "Actually, I think you meant to say that 'The movie sucked in my opinion'?"

I think you are mistaking my genuine belief that the above should be obvious, and not have to be spelled out, with a bad attitude. Nope. Just dislike for someone constantly slapping wrists for a thoroughly unnecessary reason.

Last edited:

So a guy who 9 times out of 10 posts gifs made by someone else, instead of giving an actual opinion is calling others posts disingenuous? Hmmm.

That's not exactly accurate. TLJ did have a second week drop in the US of about 43% where TFA's was about 33%. TFA had the advantage of being the first brand new Star Wars film in a decade though. If you look at the history of the saga this is not unheard of. AOTC had a much higher initial drop than TPM did (37%-17%). The numbers for ANH and ESB are pretty screwy, probably given how ANH initially took off.

If you look at current films like Black Panther and Infinity War you can certainly see that TLJ didn't have the box office staying power that they did, but in terms of films overall TLJ was still in theaters for four months here in the US. It was hardly a slouch. Combined with international box office numbers and it becomes very difficult for me to accept that negative fan word of mouth hurt it much at all. Word of mouth travels at the speed of the internet nowadays, and that movie still takes over two hours to watch.

What could anyone have told you about TLJ to make you not go see it for yourself in the theater?

SW movies are highly anticipated (and episodic) to the point where people will feel they have to see one whether it was good or not. Look at the prequels - they did a better job of selling tickets than of pleasing the public.

But try releasing a non-episode SW adventure (which feels more "optional" to people) in the aftermath of an important SW episode that people didn't like . . . and you get a bomb like 'Solo.' That one earned a decent medium grade with people who saw it but many people never gave it a try.

The problem is there's no provable reason for Solo's underperformance. The anti TLJ crowd keeps citing how bad TLJ was and the rest of us cite the director turnover and reshoots and whatnot. I'm sure it's some blend of both but there's no way to tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back