Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

The funny thing is that Ep9 will probably still make all the money in the world and nothing anyone here says is going to alter that. We're the Uber nerds and we are the vast minority still.

Yeah, this kind of thing comes up when the discussions of a release of the theatrical OT or some non-SE archival version pop up from time to time (there's a thread that periodically is resurrected). For me, discussions with people outside of this world about that issue really shed light on the vast divide between the ultra-hard-core fans that post here, and the vast majority of average consumers.

Most people out there...really don't care about the little details. Hell, some people don't even notice stuff I think is GLARINGLY obvious, like the godawful color timing shifts in ESB. (Seriously, watch the "Our first catch of the day" scene. It happens within the scene and looks incredibly unprofessional.) They know about "Han Shot First," but most don't really care a ton. They might dimly recall that there was a different song at Jabba's palace, but they don't own a copy of the soundtrack so they don't know what the song sounded like, so they don't care about replacing muppets with CGI muppets. They tend to think a lot of the CGI "fixes" look cool, and they appreciate the continuity for things like replacing Boba Fett's voice with Tem Morrison's and replacing Clive Revill's voice + lady + chimp for the Emperor with Ian McDiarmid. But beyond that? The changes are either a plus or aren't really noticed. They put a rock in front of R2 this time? Meh. Don't care. Obi-Wan's scream sounds different? Nope. Still don't care. Luke is silent vs. Luke does a "YEEEAAAAARRRRGGGHHH!!!!"scream when he falls down the shaft in Cloud City? Insert shrug here.

For most folks, Star Wars is just a fun set of adventure sci-fi movies. Mind you, these are also the kinds of people who don't bother to turn off motion interpolation on their TVs because they think it "looks more natural." They're the people who think that Transformers movies are (or at least were) good stupid fun. If the movie is marketed effectively and is generally entertaining to this audience, it'll make money.

When the PT came out, I went from kind of shell-shocked immediately after leaving the theater for TPM to furious and indignant at how Lucas was trashing the OT. I still went to see all three films in the theaters. By ROTS, I was just going for the sake of completion, disappointed that the whole franchise seemed to be heading in a direction I had no interest in going. But I still paid to see it towards the end of its theatrical run, and it still made not quite a Billion-with-a-B dollars. I suspect Ep. IX will be fine. We'll see.

kristen jones Gee, thanks for clearing that up. He seems to be right on top of things and clearly managing the whole situation.:facepalm

Last edited by a moderator:

Star Wars is the original trilogy, it always was and will always be thus.

According to The Wook's personal SWIQ, you are incorrect, as he claims that the universal standard for SWIQ only includes ANH and ESB (theartical cuts) and disregard ROTJ.

I am afraid the SWIQ machine has determined that your SWIQ is painfully low :p

So I guess the title President means very little at the end of the day , all seems rather pointless. Isnt KK put in that position so that Jger can involve him self in other, more substantial matters or is he expected to run Lucasfilm as well?

The shareholders did veto his massive bonus payment at the recent AGM, maybe that says something.

Im beginning to sympathise with those who try and push for real change only to be continually told.."Its the system man, the system" :lol

Last edited:

Yeah, it tells me she greenlit a movie I didn't ask for that I still ended up enjoying. Most movies I see work that way.

Dont forget you said no one really asked for yet it was made anyway and cost the company a fortune in the process. Couple more decisions like that and Star Wars movies will be put in a vault for thirty years. I`m sure the fact you enjoyed it will ease Disneys pain. Maybe when people ask for a Kenobi movie the President might listen, Oh thats right, they did.

Last edited:

No, you're weird. :lol

Pining for her parents does not count as a separate flaw.

The Wook

Why doesn't it? Since the first flaw you addressed was fear, and the inability to let go of the past or one's own desires to look to the future at what is right in front of you is different, therefore it is a separate flaw.

Mostly because no one really wanted a Han origin movie. Not even me, and I found it perfectly ok.

I enjoyed the movie! Loved seeing the MF in its early cleaner years. Still like the "used" look better! ;)

Anywho, I think I'm safe in saying that there are a LOT of SW fans out there. Any opportunity for us fans (of all ages) to get a movie about our favorite smuggler would have, at any other time, been Christmas, Halloween and a Birthday all rolled into one! But not this time. Not now. Something happened... Was it just a majority of SW fans who said "... eh... I dont need ANOTHER SW movie..." (Think about that. Would a SW fan really say they were tired of seeing a SW movie?) or was it "... NOPE... not after you offended me with TLJ and then further insulted me because I didn't like it..."

Not getting into an argument... just trying to figure out why the vast majority stayed away from SOLO.

My avitar is dirrected at every SJW that exists! Enjoy!

Huge_roll_eyes.gif

- - - Updated - - -

They started it.

Huge_roll_eyes.gif

I enjoyed the movie! Loved seeing the MF in its early cleaner years. Still like the "used" look better! ;)

Anywho, I think I'm safe in saying that there are a LOT of SW fans out there. Any opportunity for us fans (of all ages) to get a movie about our favorite smuggler would have, at any other time, been Christmas, Halloween and a Birthday all rolled into one! But not this time. Not now. Something happened... Was it just a majority of SW fans who said "... eh... I dont need ANOTHER SW movie..." (Think about that. Would a SW fan really say they were tired of seeing a SW movie?) or was it "... NOPE... not after you offended me with TLJ and then further insulted me because I didn't like it..."

Not getting into an argument... just trying to figure out why the vast majority stayed away from SOLO.

Maybe that`s a discussion best had in the Solo threads and Ron Howard himself pretty much spelled out the reason for it himself.

@Paul AndrewThe funny thing is that the Uber nerds who you think are the vast majority didnt turn up for what anyone would think is an Uber nerds paradise. That same attitude see`s Solo where it is today. How did that turn out for you? You are aware there are other threads in this vast forum yes?

i think your reading comprehension is a bit off.

He didn't say the 'uber nerds are the vast majority". He said that we here are the uber nerds, and that we are still a minority.

According to The Wook's personal SWIQ, you are incorrect, as he claims that the universal standard for SWIQ only includes ANH and ESB (theartical cuts) and disregard ROTJ.

I am afraid the SWIQ machine has determined that your SWIQ is painfully low :p

Well my mother always told me i was special, so i guess having a low "SW" IQ isn't a complete surprise:lol

But yeah, unlike The Wook i love me some Return of the Jedi.

@kristen jones Gee, thanks for clearing that up. He seems to be right on top of things and clearly managing the whole situation.:facepalm

Hmmm... I have no idea what this is referring to.

- - - Updated - - -

I love how the whole SWIQ thing triggers some people, its hilarious.

If you mean myself... I'm not triggered. I just enjoy discussing the flaws in it, that's all ;)

- - - Updated - - -

So I guess the title President means very little at the end of the day , all seems rather pointless. Isnt KK put in that position so that Jger can involve him self in other, more substantial matters or is he expected to run Lucasfilm as well?

The shareholders did veto his massive bonus payment at the recent AGM, maybe that says something.

Im beginning to sympathise with those who try and push for real change only to be continually told.."Its the system man, the system" :lol

I was merely refuting the statement which read "KK answers to No One". That's all.

i think your reading comprehension is a bit off.

He didn't say the 'uber nerds are the vast majority". He said that we here are the uber nerds, and that we are still a minority.

Thanks for clearing that up on Paul Andrews behalf. The sentiment fits either way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back