Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

I've seen what a broken heart can do to someone very close to me. They didn't die, but it wouldn't have been a shock if they had after what went down. Dying of a broken heart is very possible and it works fine in the prequels. Anakin, as cheesy as he might have been written, was the only real love she ever knew and he turned against everything she stood for including her feelings for him.

Last edited:

I'd say her only other love is the Republic itself, and that too died a painful death at the same time. But I generally just chalk it up to a combination of losing the will to live and the Force. That and I try not to think too hard about it, since it's the prequels, albeit the best of the prequels.

With the rather large exception of you're pregnant with twins and you know you're giving birth seeing as you named them. That's more than enough to live for regardless of the death of the husband and republic.

Its been an interesting couple of weeks reading this thread and others . I had no real understanding about how youtubing creates wealth for their channels and it social effect on the rise of "debate " (hate) profiteering. But its very real.

The main problem is in this day and age social media enables almost everybody to connect everywherer and that enables a certain canny few to make enough money (sometimes beyond levels of a very average day job now) by extreme polarization of any specific POV in almost any subject you care to look at.

That they often set themselves up as "Champions of the Cause" is rather ironic,considering that within this particular SW debate, where people are frequently and openly criticising Disney for being totally focused on making money off their beloved SW brand, its actually themselves that are directly profiting from their promoting anti DIsney /LF agendas . So that comes across ,if you'll pardon the expression , a bit rich.

And a few that ARE making a decent living out of this, so much to the extent they are now complaining if any comeback of their argumentivity content actually effects their advertizing revenue streams. And this is done In order to produce even more hits.

People have always drawn to bad news, theres no money to be made in playing or saying nice. The old traditional media of newspapers and TV channels have always understood this. So we've always had these exaggerated arguments supported and stoked by misguided claims and misquotes.

Only now its on line and its interactive and immediate and very personal. So, in a sense now, everything is becoming a directly "political" argument as inevitably some will bring agenda sensitive topics into the discussion inorder to inflate the number of replies and hits to drawn in more arguments.

"Professional " trolling for an argument can now be converted directly into cash if you can centralize and semi legitimise the content. Just look how that whole "Pansexual" reference in Solo blew across everything out of nothing ,sourced by a single journalists question deliberately levering in their LGBT agenda into a simple SW interview (once again). And then everyone can run with it, causing outrage and "moral" indignation from every side of the divide .

Some of the quotes and feedback I've read from those who have attacked SW fans over some activity about TLJ and the recent Twitter issues are just as bad, and often much, much worse. But that's because it absolutely PAYS to throw a hysterical tantrum on social media these days on anything that gets you the vital hits that keep the advertizing income streams going up.

My conclusion overall is its all becoming a fools game, and that actually the chances of anything worthwhile coming out of most arguments is looking increasingly remote because neitherside wants to allow that .

It PAYS to keep the division going ,the interest hot, the egos fed.

The considered, objective criticism and constructive dialogue is just lost in the endless noise of the playground name calling because thats the level alot of people like playing at and take satifaction in.

Like I said its been interesting studying this recent "phenomenon" but basically the underlying motive is as old as the hills.

Its all about the money.

The "canon" wasn't thrown out. The Expanded Universe was done away with. The Expanded Universe was never considered canon by George. Yes, he helped on some stuff. Yes, he borrowed stuff (most times at the behest of other people). But he's stated that the Expanded Universe was not his Star Wars. George contradicted the EU on many occasions. Like "grey" Jedi, Mandalorian history, Nightsisters, Kyber crystals. These things George changed from what they were in the EU. Lucasfilm also stated that George was allowed to contradict the EU. So when George gave the responsibility of making new films to Lucasfilm/Disney, they inherited the ability to contradict the EU.

The thing about all that is that the early EU -- before it was even the EU -- maintained little control over ensuring consistency between, say, the Russ Manning newspaper comics, the Marvel comics, Splinter of the Mind's Eye, the Han Solo Adventures, the Lando Calrissian Adventures, the various kids' and read-along stories, and so forth. So by the time West End Games came along in the late '80s, there were already inconsistencies, to which they added (including a few that clashed with the films themselves). When the EU was formally established in the '90s, they introduced the "can't contradict earlier EU works" policy, which presented many headaches. Which version of Boba's backstory is the real one? How long is a Super Star Destroyer really? Etc. But they did their best. Even with George always reserving the right to steamroll over any of it.

After the big canon announcement of 2014, the EU went from being "canon until it isn't" to "not canon until it is". A very minute shift. All of the EU material is a giant grab bag that the creators are free to pull from, and they have been, right and left, pretty much since George's retirement. Even the post-ROTJ EU -- which obviously was the only part that truly got wiped, is still there "from a certain point of view". We have Ben, who is Leia's son, not Luke's. We have Jacen, who is Hera and Kanan's son, not Leia's. We have Rey, who we still don't know about. So long as we don't get the Yuuzhan Vong, I'm good with where they're taking things. Though, yes, I do have some gripes about how they've gone about getting there.

As for dying of a broken heart, that was always there, but it was part of the foreshortening of things. Luke asking Leia about her memories of their mother was to be between him and his sister before Leia got re-imagined into that role. "She was very beautiful... but sad, in a way. She died when I was very young." That was to have been when she was two or three, not minutes after being born. But Lucas had to tie everything up within the same day in ROTS to end where he wanted to, rather than having all those things happen at different points in time. The Clone Wars happen... Somewhere along the way, Palpatine elevates himself from President of the Senate to Emperor. The Jedi object and lose their standing... Some time after that Anakin turns... Some time after that the twins are born... Some time after that Leia's born and Padmé dies... Some time after that the Clone Wars end... Through this latter period the Jedi are quietly hunted down and exterminated, a time-consuming process Vader helps with... Etc. Fine if there were episodes filling in the intervening years. Not if we cut things off in the middle of things, as George did. A lot happened in the galaxy between that period and ANH.

And the way he had it originally makes more sense in real-world terms. She did survive the birth (and wasn't Force-choked by her husband, as henever saw her after he left and became Vader -- didn't know she was pregnant), she and her daughter were taken in by her sister, the Queen of Alderaan. Over the nxt couple years, seeing what her husband was doing directly and helping the Empire do galactically ate at her, and she just dwindled and died. You know I've got a lot of words, but I do not have enough to adequately convey how much I wish George had stuck with his original vision, there.

Its been an interesting couple of weeks reading this thread and others . I had no real understanding about how youtubing creates wealth for their channels and it social effect on the rise of "debate " (hate) profiteering. But its very real.

The main problem is in this day and age social media enables almost everybody to connect everywherer and that enables a certain canny few to make enough money (sometimes beyond levels of a very average day job now) by extreme polarization of any specific POV in almost any subject you care to look at.

That they often set themselves up as "Champions of the Cause" is rather ironic,considering that within this particular SW debate, where people are frequently and openly criticising Disney for being totally focused on making money off their beloved SW brand, its actually themselves that are directly profiting from their promoting anti DIsney /LF agendas . So that comes across ,if you'll pardon the expression , a bit rich.

And a few that ARE making a decent living out of this, so much to the extent they are now complaining if any comeback of their argumentivity content actually effects their advertizing revenue streams. And this is done In order to produce even more hits.

People have always drawn to bad news, theres no money to be made in playing or saying nice. The old traditional media of newspapers and TV channels have always understood this. So we've always had these exaggerated arguments supported and stoked by misguided claims and misquotes.

Only now its on line and its interactive and immediate and very personal. So, in a sense now, everything is becoming a directly "political" argument as inevitably some will bring agenda sensitive topics into the discussion inorder to inflate the number of replies and hits to drawn in more arguments.

"Professional " trolling for an argument can now be converted directly into cash if you can centralize and semi legitimise the content. Just look how that whole "Pansexual" reference in Solo blew across everything out of nothing ,sourced by a single journalists question deliberately levering in their LGBT agenda into a simple SW interview (once again). And then everyone can run with it, causing outrage and "moral" indignation from every side of the divide .

Some of the quotes and feedback I've read from those who have attacked SW fans over some activity about TLJ and the recent Twitter issues are just as bad, and often much, much worse. But that's because it absolutely PAYS to throw a hysterical tantrum on social media these days on anything that gets you the vital hits that keep the advertizing income streams going up.

My conclusion overall is its all becoming a fools game, and that actually the chances of anything worthwhile coming out of most arguments is looking increasingly remote because neitherside wants to allow that .

The considered, objective criticism and constructive dialogue is just lost in the endless noise of the playground name calling because thats the level alot of people like playing at and take satifaction in.

Like I said its been interesting studying this recent "phenomenon" but basically the underlying motive is as old as the hills.

Its all about the money.

And to put YouTube into context, a gal my wife and I watched compete in America ninja Warrior last night has 1.2M YouTube "followers" watching her train and do her daughters hair. Some of these "Champions of the Cause" SW sites have less then 1/4 of that following. They are all very small echo chambers if you are so inclined to follow them.

Its all about the money.

So now its a bad thing to make a little profit out of something that a large amount of people are interested in, what a joke. Do you even watch any of these channels or just make assumptions about their content? We have seen how foolish it can be to comment on the content of the product without even watching the video recently.

These channels provide a voice against the endless parade of shill/trash media outlets who exist for no other reason than to make money and keep companies like Disney happy to allow that continue in to the future. Do you think that any of those outlets do it for free?

The perfect example was seen recently when we saw a couple of mouth pieces for Collider about a month before Solo was released praising the work of Disney, predicting a $700 million take based on advanced sales and that all the talk about TLJ damaging the brand and people were unhappy with it were lies and everything was just fine. This was never addressed by Collider when reality hit home but it was one of these channels that did by showing their rubbish to the many who would never have seen it. Its obvious they are doing a good job if they offend people who would just prefer to hear from shills and other trustworthy sources that are only in for a buck as well.

It would be a sad place indeed if there were no outlets to highlight how immature and provocative it is for the likes of Johnson and those that follow his immature and provocative lead that go around labelling people as things like man babies etc all the time.

Last edited:

The thing about all that is that the early EU -- before it was even the EU -- maintained little control over ensuring consistency between, say, the Russ Manning newspaper comics, the Marvel comics, Splinter of the Mind's Eye, the Han Solo Adventures, the Lando Calrissian Adventures, the various kids' and read-along stories, and so forth. So by the time West End Games came along in the late '80s, there were already inconsistencies, to which they added (including a few that clashed with the films themselves). When the EU was formally established in the '90s, they introduced the "can't contradict earlier EU works" policy, which presented many headaches. Which version of Boba's backstory is the real one? How long is a Super Star Destroyer really? Etc. But they did their best. Even with George always reserving the right to steamroll over any of it.

After the big canon announcement of 2014, the EU went from being "canon until it isn't" to "not canon until it is". A very minute shift. All of the EU material is a giant grab bag that the creators are free to pull from, and they have been, right and left, pretty much since George's retirement. Even the post-ROTJ EU -- which obviously was the only part that truly got wiped, is still there "from a certain point of view". We have Ben, who is Leia's son, not Luke's. We have Jacen, who is Hera and Kanan's son, not Leia's. We have Rey, who we still don't know about. So long as we don't get the Yuuzhan Vong, I'm good with where they're taking things. Though, yes, I do have some gripes about how they've gone about getting there.

As for dying of a broken heart, that was always there, but it was part of the foreshortening of things. Luke asking Leia about her memories of their mother was to be between him and his sister before Leia got re-imagined into that role. "She was very beautiful... but sad, in a way. She died when I was very young." That was to have been when she was two or three, not minutes after being born. But Lucas had to tie everything up within the same day in ROTS to end where he wanted to, rather than having all those things happen at different points in time. The Clone Wars happen... Somewhere along the way, Palpatine elevates himself from President of the Senate to Emperor. The Jedi object and lose their standing... Some time after that Anakin turns... Some time after that the twins are born... Some time after that Leia's born and Padmé dies... Some time after that the Clone Wars end... Through this latter period the Jedi are quietly hunted down and exterminated, a time-consuming process Vader helps with... Etc. Fine if there were episodes filling in the intervening years. Not if we cut things off in the middle of things, as George did. A lot happened in the galaxy between that period and ANH.

And the way he had it originally makes more sense in real-world terms. She did survive the birth (and wasn't Force-choked by her husband, as henever saw her after he left and became Vader -- didn't know she was pregnant), she and her daughter were taken in by her sister, the Queen of Alderaan. Over the nxt couple years, seeing what her husband was doing directly and helping the Empire do galactically ate at her, and she just dwindled and died. You know I've got a lot of words, but I do not have enough to adequately convey how much I wish George had stuck with his original vision, there.

I know from just trying to come up with some short stories on my own. You are never satisfied. You think you've got the story figured out. Then a couple of months later, you think "I should so and so do this first." And so on and so on. I understand how George not sticking strictly to what his original vision is understandable.

Just a reminder that it has been nearly a month since the world has heard from the Lucasfilm President and in that time a film she authorised has become the biggest failure in the Star Wars franchise even compared to films made forty years ago, employees and affiliated outlets have damaged the brand by unleashing a storm of vitriol at the very people who pay to see her products based on nothing more than an unconfirmed twitter post regarding a cast members possible suspension of a social media account and a rumor by another employee that there are another nine films currently in the schedule. Oh and a worldwide report that she will be stepping down in September.

Reactions: JPH

So now its a bad thing to make a little profit out of something that a large amount of people are interested in, what a joke. Do you even watch any of these channels or just make assumptions about their content? We have seen how foolish it can be to comment on the content of the product without even watching the video recently.

These channels provide a voice against the endless parade of shill/trash media outlets who exist for no other reason than to make money and keep companies like Disney happy to allow that continue in to the future. Do you think that any of those outlets do it for free?

The perfect example was seen recently when we saw a couple of mouth pieces for Collider about a month before Solo was released praising the work of Disney, predicting a $700 million take based on advanced sales and that all the talk about TLJ damaging the brand and people were unhappy with it were lies and everything was just fine. This was never addressed by Collider when reality hit home but it was one of these channels that did by showing their rubbish to the many who would never have seen it. Its obvious they are doing a good job if they offend people who would just prefer to hear from shills and other trustworthy sources that are only in for a buck as well.

It would be a sad place indeed if there were no outlets to highlight how immature and provocative it is for the likes of Johnson and those that follow his immature and provocative lead that go around labelling people as things like man babies etc all the time.

Remember the massive deleting of negative reviews ofTLJ? The Star Wars website as well. Multiple social media cites deleted the negative, no matter how sincere. An "honest" but "negative" review was removed because it didn't fit the narrative. But a ridiculously perky, "everything was magical" review was pushed to the top! Like...dontchaknow!!

Rotten Tomatoes also claimed they would delete negative reviews of black panther. Because y'know, well, VIBRANIUM. AFTER TLJ deletion scandal. Suddenly propagandist for TLJ didn't care about fan reviews, only the paid shill critics were relevant...cuz, if you want to be told what to think, at least get *paid* for it.

The real *irony* is that only one side of the argument actually does this consistently. The intellectually lazy, hype victims.

If you don't believe me, then why did Solo tank and KK's firing such a topic?

Still don't think there is a boycott? or that a boycott had an impact on Solo's number? Still think TLJ was good? Keep going, a franchise is dying.

I'm just pointing out that there's no news to be had on the topic at hand and I'm losing interest in the circular debates on adjacent topics.

Well, I was just pointing out issues that connect to the actual thread topic and I couldnt agree more about losing interest in the circular and occasionally provocative debates on adjacent topics. Thread derailing has been a great concern to some in the past when it didnt fit their particular agenda.

Last edited:

Man, you're just ready to pounce any time aren't you?
A+ insinuation level in that post bud.
Be sure to let us all know how right you were in September.

LOL Why so triggered? From someone who has decided to enter the conversation and pretty much camp in this thread and just respond to everyone elses comments I truely dont see how my previous post produced your reaction. If you were familiar with TLJ thread you would be familiar with my comments about thread derailing, If you thought they were directed at you then you were mistaken.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back