Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

I think you guys are giving Kathleen more credit then she deserves (or doesn't deserve depending on your views of TLJ and the new Star Wars) She's the president of Lucasfilm and executive producer. She's not making the films. This is from the Wikipedia page for film producers- Whereas the director makes the creative decisions during the production, the producer typically manages the logistics and business operations-. I mean she gets mentioned a whopping 3 times in The Art of The Last Jedi, a 253 page book.

Their point is that as head of Lucasfilm ultimately the success or failures of movies do fall on her because of creative or business decisions she may have been involved in.

And to an extent that is true, however when it comes to an executive position the decision to keep or change leadership the overall picture is looked at. Things like profitability and the overall health of said company.

Lucasfilm is profitable no doubt and the brand still has a ton of weight and creditiability. It's not like star wars is it's only brand.

Kathleen Kennedy gave four Star Wars movies to Johnson, three of which were green lit basically on the back of nothing. Enough said.

Do you know how many movies get greenlit and never made on a daily basis?

Sorry to disappoint but he also said he was a big Star Wars fan as well so.......

I will say though that there is a chance that because Iger is leaving next year and the disaster of just one more Johnson movie wont really be his problem, insanity may prevail. Its gunna all be on the next person who can obviously say it wasnt done under my watch. The cycle continues.

Last edited:

Sorry to disappoint but he also said he was a big Star Wars fan as well so.......

You mean he wasn't? I guess people that just hate Star Wars watch one of the movies over and over for 12 hours straight.......

That`s some Star Wars in BTTF 2 logic right there. He`s never been off twitter for more than 3 hrs a day.

That`s some Star Wars in BTTF 2 logic right there. He`s never been off twitter for more than 3 hrs a day.

Do I need to quote him saying that when he was a kid he used to watch the films over and over for 12 hours at a time! He read all the comic books, bought the first making of books and bought all the original trilogy OST's on vinyl records.

With Solo, the production was rolling along smoothly when Lawrence Kasdan approaches Kathleen telling her, he didn't like how the two film makers were doing things. So they get the boot over "creative differences".

I don't buy that. I remember rumor-mill stuff about the directors being in over their heads from pretty early in the shooting.

They re-shot up to 80% of that movie according to some accounts. The lowest number I recall hearing was 60%. (Consider that this percentage estimate is not the kind of thing they would want to brag about. They are more likely to downplay the truth.)

When you consider that some portion of any movie's shots would be too mundane or straightforward to need redoing no matter how the directors were changed . . . a 70% or 80% reshoot would be pretty much everything that had the old directors' mark on it. They basically filmed 'Solo' twice in the creative sense.

KK had control of the company but she had to know she was already on some probation for the problems with 'Rogue One'. I don't see her redoing 'Solo' just because the directors rubbed Kasdan the wrong way. We're talking probably $100 million dollars of extra production costs. It also sticks the movie with a cloud of bad publicity hanging over it (even if the second version turns out fine) which means even more financial damage. The first version of 'Solo' must have been a wreck for them to have done something so drastic and costly.

Last edited:

Do I need to quote him saying that when he was a kid he used to watch the films over and over for 12 hours at a time! He read all the comic books, bought the first making of books and bought all the original trilogy OST's on vinyl records.

And after all that when the time comes to make an actual Star Wars movie, proceeds to take a crap all over it. Big fan by the way.

And after all that when the time comes to make an actual Star Wars movie, proceeds to take a crap all over it. Big fan by the way.

That sir is your opinion. I honestly can't see why you think he ruined it. But hey, I'm not here to judge.

I don't buy that. I remember rumor-mill stuff about the directors being in over their heads from pretty early in the shooting.

They re-shot up to 80% of that movie according to some accounts. The lowest number I recall hearing was 60%. (Consider that this percentage estimate is not the kind of thing they would want to brag about. They are more likely to downplay the truth.)

When you consider that some portion of any movie's shots would be too mundane or straightforward to need redoing no matter how the directors were changed . . . a 70% or 80% reshoot would be pretty much everything that had the old directors' mark on it. They basically filmed 'Solo' twice in the creative sense.

KK had control of the company but she had to know she was already on some probation for the problems with 'Rogue One'. I don't see her redoing 'Solo' just because the directors rubbed Kasdan the wrong way. We're talking probably $100 million dollars of extra production costs. It also sticks the movie with a cloud of bad publicity hanging over it (even if the second version turns out fine) which means even more financial damage. The first version of 'Solo' must have been a wreck for them to have done something so drastic and costly.

But hey, he "hears" stuff.

All because a YouTube pseudo-celebrity who does a Star Wars based "show" got a fist bump emoji from RJ? Well damn, that's all the proof I need.
Maybe KK is dumb enough to double, triple, or quadruple down of failure and let her pet director make more Star Wars (ino) movies.
But for a producer to continue to hire a director who's made the movie with the intent to divide the profit base, not just the fan base, is a cataclysmic error in any industry.

How do you figure he had the intent to divide the fanbase and profit? That's absurd.

His only intent was to not play things safe, easy, and expected. You'll get no argument from me that he blew it in some respects, but to paint him as a moustache twiddling villain who set put to ruin Star Wars is ridiculous.

If you're talking about that old video where he says he'd rather half the audience be mad than indifferent, you missed the point of it.

All because a YouTube pseudo-celebrity who does a Star Wars based "show" got a fist bump emoji from RJ? Well damn, that's all the proof I need.
Maybe KK is dumb enough to double, triple, or quadruple down of failure and let her pet director make more Star Wars (ino) movies.
But for a producer to continue to hire a director who's made the movie with the intent to divide the profit base, not just the fan base, is a cataclysmic error in any industry.

At best he`s a selfish, egotistical indie film maker who saw an opportunity to make a name for himself in the big league and divide the biggest film audience of all time. There probably is a part of him to want to undermine the bottom line as well simply due to his indie, anti big studio background. Thats where the wanting half your audience to hate your movie come into play, there are financial consequences from that.

Last edited:

Rian got his wish. He made a Star Wars movie, that's still being hotly discussed about. Just look at this. Solo has been and gone, a movie that had one of the most awsome cameos ever! And the Avengers that killed off half of the people in then universe. And we are still arguing about TLJ.

Yeah, but mostly on how utterly terrible it was but any publicity is good publicity right.:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back