Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

Yep, I asked something similar to this pages ago (quoted) but no one seemed interested in answering my on-topic question.

As a result I can only conclude that we’re transitioning into “wish thread” territory.

Thankfully, Disney has supplied an official “wish thread” theme, which may be sung in order to turn rumor dreams into... something else.

https://youtu.be/pguMUFyJ3_U

"Wish thread" indeed.

I wouldn't be surprised if 8 years from now, Kennedy retires from the industry altogether, and you have people claiming they "finally" drove her out of the business and that LFL fired her after the "fan outrage" over Ep. XII which earned $1.7B worldwide or something.

Dude, this thread is dead. There is no "there" there. Kathleen Kennedy is still working for LFL. She hasn't been fired. It's highly unlikely she will be fired.

Dude, thats your opinion and carries no more weight than anyone else`s. In fact, your opinion carries less weight with me than many others as you once wrote a shoddy hit piece on me for constantly derailing TLJ thread after I posted a satirical You Tube review of it after not posting in it for months but carry on when I react to someone who is actually deliberately derailing this thread. Hypocrite.

The WW2 reference was in direct response to the post above it claiming that after a stabbing here a shooting there that they are even scared to go to walmart. It was a reality check. Too bad it went over your head, others seem to have got it.

Last edited:

I'm going to quote a controversial military figure here and say,
The system itself is broken and by system I'm not just talking about Lucasfilm. I'm talking about the movie industry itself.

I work in the industry so I always sort of feel obliged to stand up for us a bit and point out that creativity is not dead, people work their asses off, and good movies are still made on the regular.

Now, that said, obviously, there are some pretty big problems with the industry and you are dead on with most of your points. But I do want to point out it's not entirely Hollywood's fault. Hollywood is a business, it always has been. Movies are so expensive to produce, no one would put that sort of money up without expecting a return.

When the masses flock to see Marvel movies or whatever else they feel is safe and worth their $20 and have zero interest in story or plot, it has an effect. Why does Paramounbt keep making Transformer movies even though they are terrible? Cause they make a crap ton of money.

I like to use the allegory of a drug dealer in your neighborhood that you wish would leave. Whose fault is it that he is there? Is it on him for pushing the drugs and making addicts? Or are the addicts already there and he's just there to provide supply for a need?

It's a symbiotic relationship. As annoying as I find the extreme NOTMYLUKE contingent, they have the right tact with making themselves heard with their wallets (not by reposting youtube videos ad nauseum). if more people stopped seeing trash movies, studios would be more willing to experiment. But the fact is, whatever the masses show to be a money-maker, that is what studios will do more of.

Again though-- STUDIOS. Indy film is alive and well and thriving. Netflix is dropping 700 new movies a year, the vast majority of them being indy acquisitions. As somebody in the trenches it is very frustrating to continually write new original things, which generally only get me hired to work on pre-existing IP. But all hope is not lost.

We're at a tipping point. As technology continues to get easier and cheaper to use, more and more indy films will get bigger in scope. Right now, studios have three advantages: One, they can afford mega productions with movie stars and tax incentives and clout to shut down half a town to stage elaborate set pieces. Two, they have the distribution power to the movie houses. Three they can do a marketing push to make sure everyone knows the movie exists.

Little by little, alternative methods to these are becoming more and more viable. It's a ways off, but not THAT far off that the playing field will be leveled on these topics just as it has with filmmaking technology.

As for your other points about nostalgia and the impact of cinema in other eras-- you're dead on. It's really hard recapture magic. And if filmmakers knew how to capture lightning in a bottle, studios wouldn't resort to always reworking an IP they know has a built in audience.

I agree with you that she's made bad decisions, but because the system is broken it doesn't matter who they hire. It's not 1977 anymore and you simply can't make those kinds of movies anymore and have the same impact Lucas did. There are almost no visionaries left and Lucasfilm isn't going to hire any of them because it's too risky a business move.

My overall point is that we are trying to treat the sickness rather than cure the sickness. Until people recognize that I think we are just going to keep going in circles. Besides which there isn't anything left to tell in the Star Wars films that hasn't already been told in my opinion. As I stated before, outside of the original three, everything and I mean everything else is simply filler. Non essential.

I dont think we can blame the system for her bad decisions, the blame lies with her. Kevin Feige works under the same rules and system as Kennedy does and oversees a studio making successful and enjoyable movies and knows what his fan base wants and nobody is calling for his removal. I actually had a long conversation here with a member who believes that if he left Marvel to replace her as I want that Marvel would probably collapse. Replacing her is not an attempt to repair a broken system, it is an attempt to repair a broken franchise.

Kathleen Kennedy actually gave Thanos Johnson four Star Wars movies, that`s not on the system

The WW2 reference was in direct response to the post above it claiming that after a stabbing here a shooting there that they are even scared to go to walmart. It was a reality check. Too bad it went over your head, others seem to have got it.

Reality is the fact that retail stores and video rental stores are giving away to Internet stores, and streaming services. And one of the prime reasons is because people don't want to have face to face contact with other people. And it's understandable. When I walk into Walmart half of the people there look like they just got let out of the state prison. It's freaky.

That`s called "progress" and "convenience" not an indication society is collapsing. Glad I dont live my life with that kind of attitude.

TV was supposed to kill cinema as well but we all know how that turned out.

ADDITION.

The VHS tape and video stores were the streaming services of their day and were also supposed to kill off cinema, guess what? Didnt happen either. Cant find a video store anymore, which started dying off many years ago by the way but still surrounded by cinemas where I live.

Last edited:

SethS I agree with you wholeheartedly.

I'm not discounting everyone in Hollywood or all of their efforts it's just that the landscape of the industry is changing because of streaming services like Netflix. I'm curious to see what the result of all of this will yield. The fact that an amateur like me can have my own channel (on YouTube) and that if even a few people follow it, it's pretty cool that these things are possible when they weren't a few years ago. I would say that on the consumer side of things most people tend to see that a lot of what is turned out of studios is extremely repetitive, that's all.

I get it from a business perspective too. I wouldn't invest my money if I didn't think I could get a return on it, especially at those large sums. I hated TLJ. Absolutely hated it. Though that isn't going to stop Lucasfilm from making more Star Wars movies. My bitching about it won't change a damn thing. It took a long time to get all of that frustration out of my system but at some point I finally let it go. A change in leadership won't right the ship. The series ended in 1983 and we as a whole just haven't accepted it because we love it so damn much. That's my take on it anyway, so I just moved on. I get that not everyone feels the same way.

So when it came to Solo, I just didn't see it. It wasn't a conscious boycott. I just wasn't interested enough to bother with it. I have no plans to see it either. I don't plan on seeing Episode 9 either. I want to see something else. Hopefully the trend continues at least so that the higher ups start taking more risks. They can and will do whatever the hell they want with Star Wars and no one here will be able to change that.

Last edited:

I respect your opinion that you have moved on and the series ended in 1983 and changing the leadership wont change anything but respect the fact that a lot people have made the choice not to move on and dont think it ended in 1983 and think that a change may bring positive results. I mean, just move on from the those that have not moved on. At the end of the day they are just opinions typed in a prop forum.

I respect that we may disagree Mr. Webber. At the end of the day that's all any of us are doing in this thread and basically any of the entertainment threads. Just expressing opinions.

I held out hope for so long that the theater experience would hold the sway that it did in years past. I had heard predictions that streaming would be the death of cinema, or at least put a monster dent in their profits and audience turn out. My wife and I rarely (if ever) feel the need to go to the theater anymore. While in theory it sounds great, in reality it almost never happens. Part of it is also people's schedules are so demanding that it's easier to sit at home and watch a movie rather than drive away to see one.
Agreed with most of what you say. This part stands out in particular because I just started to find the theatre experience very unpleasant lately. It's either an empty theatre or it's filled with people behaving like animals, munching, talking, on their phones, distracting...

I actually think the "new frontier" of digital streaming is where you see the more "original" content and stuff that's closer to the spirit of filmmaking you saw in the 70s and 80s. For one thing, there's a desire for ever more original content developed in-house, and for another there's a recognition that niche products can actually gain wider popularity. Take Stranger Things, for example. Sure, Netflix the company greenlit the project due to datamining and figuring out what specific elements viewers want to watch...but the Duffer Bros. came up with the story themselves. I doubt some suit at Netflix said "Build me a movie that combines the 80s, kids on bikes, psychic powers, alternate dimensions and the nasty monsters that live there, and references to D&D." More likely, the Duffer Bros. pitched it, Netflix checked its data mining and said "I think that sounds great!" and we were off to the races.

It strikes me that there is basically ZERO chance that Stranger Things: the Movie would've been greenlit by Sony Pictures or whatever, because it's just...so out there. But on streaming, it has a chance, and then has a chance to grow thanks to internal (to the site), targeted promotion and word of mouth. Which, in turn, leads to the greenlighting of the IT remake, which even stars one of the kids from...Stranger Things, and gets a time bump from the '50s to (surprise!) the '80s. So, sure, streaming is killing one form of entertainment, but it's also opening another, as has "prestige cable" and the era of "peak TV." I'm actually glad for this, because as much as I enjoy the huge scale of the cineplex, I also enjoy the longer form storytelling that streaming/prestige drama provides.
Totally agreed. I never was a series-watching guy. The series I like are the 10 episodes stuff, like Bands of Brothers. I very very rarely got into long drawn out ones. Even GoT started to bore me 2 series ago.
But it cannot be denied that the production value of series has skyrocketed. 10 years ago you turned on the telly and there was a rerun of Married with Children, Jerry Springer-style rubbish and whatnot. Then again, if you go back 20 years there was Emmerich's Godzilla, Batman & Robin, Armageddon and the like in theatres.
I think the major shift with series is that unlike older series like Taxi, Star Trek, Tales from the Crypt and such they are not self-contained episodes any more. You can't just sit down one week and watch an episode when it's on and then miss two weeks then just watch another when feel like it. Series have essentially become 10-15 hours long movies per season.

I do give them a lot of credit in being able to help me articulate my thoughts on movies in a more coherent way and their reviews have helped me become more critical of my own writing. I was open to constructive criticism before but their observations are so astute that I often find myself trying to be ruthless with my own creative work in order to make it as good as I possibly can.
I think that's where their importance is from. I had the same exact experience with them. I used to watch a lot of Nostalgia Critic for examples years ago, but then realized that he's not really a critic at all, he just recites how the plot went and closes off with a couple of thoughts. RLM explicitly and articulately conveyed things that I felt but never could point out myself because I lacked the theoretical knowledge. I also became interested in moviemaking techniques like cinematography, editing, structure, etc because of their stuff. As they say I might not have noticed the importance of these techniques before but my brain did. Back in the early 2000s there wasn't a plethora of armchair critics doing Youtube stuff to dilute the scene.

Like, I find a lot of Eric Clapton's work to be...I dunno. Just kinda "blah." It doesn't move me. It's not what I want to listen to. Layla is a great song, but the thrilling part of it is Duane Allman's slide guitar, not Clapton's stuff. Nevertheless, I respect Clapton as an artist and recognize that, although he doesn't do much for me aesthetically, he's undeniably talented at his craft. Some of that might be because I actually play guitar, so I recognize the technical mastery and raw talent that goes into someone like Clapton being able to do what he does, even though it doesn't do it for me.
You and me both.

But, you know, I'm not a drummer or a bassist, and I can still recognize objectively good drummers (Neil Peart, Stuart Copeland) as opposed to ones whom I enjoy, but who seem kind of technically sloppy (Keith Moon).
As long as you don't say Lars Ulrich it's all good. :lol

I started thinking about my reaction to the prequels after skimming the TLJ review from Red Letter Media. Initially, when the first Plinkett reviews came out, I thought they were great takedowns of TPM. My dim recollection is that their takedowns of later films in the prequels were a bit weaker.

I think the ROTS is the best one, that has loads of good info and film theory. Indy4 is also good. But I feel that they're gonna move away from it as a whole and at this point I think it's the right choice. Unless they go back reviewing older movies as a passion project where there's no real need to churn out a review to correspond with a movie.

I work in the industry so I always sort of feel obliged to stand up for us a bit and point out that creativity is not dead, people work their asses off, and good movies are still made on the regular.
[...]

Great post.
In the past few months John Carpenter has firmly become my favourite filmmaker. Not only I liked his body of work for years but I started to watch a lot of interviews and Q&As with the man and his attitude towards filmmaking, creativity, studios, box office, etc (and his openness and honesty about it) is something I can really understand and respect. It's a shame that newer filmmakers like him, early Cameron and Spielberg are rarely allowed to develop and bloom in this environment. I guess the quality really does lie somewhere the "Indie movies" section of Netflix. I just haven't really started to dig into it yet.

Hopefully we will see an emergence of a new generation of Spielberg and Lucas types that will use these new platforms, or ones we don't even know about yet, to be the breakthrough artists who use a hybrid of the old Hollywood system and the new independent systems to create new innovative movies. Perhaps that's where the visionaries lie. Somewhere between these two worlds.

Hopefully we will see an emergence of a new generation of Spielberg and Lucas types that will use these new platforms, or ones we don't even know about yet, to be the breakthrough artists who use a hybrid of the old Hollywood system and the new independent systems to create new innovative movies. Perhaps that's where the visionaries lie. Somewhere between these two worlds.

Jon Favreau perhaps?

Working in the garden and just heard the 2 lads next door playing outside. I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention and then suddenly all screaming and crying broke out.

Kid 1: (amid screams)Mammy mammy, he says I have to be Kylo Ren.
Mammy: well kylo ren is good.
Kid1: no he isnt, i want to be Darth Vader.
Kid 2: you cant be darth vader, I'm darth vader. You can be darth maul.
Kid1: (goes silent) ....Ok, I'll be Darth Maul!

I think they heard me laughing.

Working in the garden and just heard the 2 lads next door playing outside. I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention and then suddenly all screaming and crying broke out.

Well duh! What kid would want one be Darth Vader wanna be? :lol

How long do we have to wait before we admit that (1) the original article posted was a bulls**t rumor, and (2) this thread has basically just become another avenue for people to continue bitching about the current direction of Star Wars vs. people defending the current direction of Star Wars, because God knows we don't have enough of THAT on this forum...

Well Said!

Cant find a video store anymore, which started dying off many years ago by the way but still surrounded by cinemas where I live.

But the video stores weren't driven off by more cinema going. They were driven off by something new which emerged to take their place; Nextflix and the like.

Did that really happen?

Did that really happen?
Yep. I dont know which kid was being who but when walked past the front a little while later I could see one of them getting beaten half to death with a blue extendable lightsaber in the bay window.
Luckily I didnt have to hear the screaming from that one, them kids do nothing but scream at the best of times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back