Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

Thats because at its heart it isnt a Star Wars movie. It wasnt made to capture the imagination of as many people, especially Star Wars, fans as possible, it was made to cater to basically two people, Rian Johnson and Kathleen Kennedy. Say what you want about the PT but after nearly twenty years its still being talked about, I doubt the same will apply to TLJ.

Well the PT was made for George. You never see George apologizing to the fans for the the mess he made. And why should he. Star Wars was his creation, he could do whatever the heck he wanted to with it. When he sold Lucasfilm he sold the rights for him to make crestive decisions. That now belongs to Lucasfilm/Disney and whoever they choose to to make a film. Though interestingly they still let him chime in from time to time. He called and chatted with Rian. And he came and visited the Solo set.

So should Rian and Kathleen bow to the wishes to the fans? Are they not already? After all they are just as much of a Star Wars fan as you or I. Rian for instance said, that his very first movie that he'd ever watched was Star Wars. He loved it so much that we would buy anything Star Wars. He couldn't get enough. And since this was before VHS and DVDs they only way to "see" The film again was by reading the comic adaptations, and novelizations. And read them he did. And finally when the ability to rent films came around, he said "I remember when we got the VHS for Star Wars from the video store. We had our friends over, and we would watch it for twelve hours straight, over and over, until we had to give it back. There'd be like a thee-month waiting list to get it." He says how the film became so mythological to him and friends, because of the limitations of not being to see it on a whim. "So you and your friends end up studying the sacred texts and philosophizing about it. I hadn't really thought of it that way before but that might be part of the reason why, in a way that can be hard to explain, Star Wars feels like such a powerful myth of childhoods. Maybe it's because we couldn't see the actual movies."

He's speaks the truth. I am a Prequel kid. But I didn't get the see 1, 2, and 3. Until we borrowed them from a friend. But just seeing the advertisements at Wal-Mart, at the gas station, at the local fast food joint was enough. I was fan even before I saw them.

Thats because at its heart it isnt a Star Wars movie. It wasnt made to capture the imagination of as many people, especially Star Wars, fans as possible, it was made to cater to basically two people, Rian Johnson and Kathleen Kennedy. Say what you want about the PT but after nearly twenty years its still being talked about, I doubt the same will apply to TLJ.

That's a debatable point of view...most of the prequel discussion (sans animated Clone Wars) are still kinda negative, so I can see TLJ being brought up years from now in the same light...or even as "the one movie that had the balls to go not corporate boardroom". Would be interesting to see in a few years.
That being said, I've just been to my local Cex (DVD and blu-ray exchange/recycle shop where you can drop off used movies and games and buy some used ones) and I counted, there were 19 copies of TLJ, DVD, blu-ray, UHD. I guess that's what buyer's remorse looks like...?

That's a debatable point of view...most of the prequel discussion (sans animated Clone Wars) are still kinda negative, so I can see TLJ being brought up years from now in the same light...or even as "the one movie that had the balls to go not corporate boardroom". Would be interesting to see in a few years.
That being said, I've just been to my local Cex (DVD and blu-ray exchange/recycle shop where you can drop off used movies and games and buy some used ones) and I counted, there were 19 copies of TLJ, DVD, blu-ray, UHD. I guess that's what buyer's remorse looks like...?

I thought about editing that shortly after with any talk about it being negative and in terms of how it almost ruined the franchise and broke the trilogy in pieces instead of setting up a grand finale but just left it. For mine even with their faults, any movie from the PT is superior to that abomination.

The number of returned copies of a supposed Star Wars movie after only a couple of months from just that one outlet speaks volumes really.

Joek3rr. Claiming KK & RJ to be as much fans of Star Wars as other people here, is ridiculous beyond words.
There are many people who are happy with the direction of TLJ but I do not believe that a single one of them, given the once in a lifetime opportunity to make a Star Wars movie, would have destroyed something they hold so dear.
KK shows no interest in Star Wars beyond the perspective of a business. She is on record, lying to GL about protecting the legacy of SW.
JJ Abrams is a fan. Gareth Edwards is a fan.
Proof of all of this is forever burned on celluloid.

Last edited by a moderator:

@Joek3rr. Claiming KK & RJ to be as much fans of Star Wars as other people here, is ridiculous beyond words.
There are many people who are happy with the direction of TLJ but I do not believe that a single one of them, given the once in a lifetime opportunity to make a Star Wars movie, would have destroyed something they hold so dear.
KK shows no interest in Star Wars beyond the perspective of a business. She is on record, lying to GL about protecting the legacy of SW.
JJ Abrams is a fan. Gareth Edwards is a fan.
Proof of all of this is forever burned on celluloid.

I literally quoted Rian about how he used to watch the films over and over for 12 hours straight. I'm a huge Star Wars fan, and not even I've done that!

And you trying to use the Kathleen lied to George card? Her and him have been friends for at least 40 years. As far as I can tell they met on Raiders of the Lost Ark. Possibly sooner. Incidentally her and George were reasons for Solo. They asked Lawrence Kasdan if he'd like to write, many months before George sold Lucasfilm. Which was a dream come true for Lawrence, as he'd had always wanted to see/do a Solo film.

I literally quoted Rian about how he used to watch the films over and over for 12 hours straight. I'm a huge Star Wars fan, and not even I've done that!

And you trying to use the Kathleen lied to George card? Her and him have been friends for at least 40 years. As far as I can tell they met on Raiders of the Lost Ark. Possibly sooner. Incidentally her and George were reasons for Solo. They asked Lawrence Kasdan if he'd like to write, many months before George sold Lucasfilm. Which was a dream come true for Lawrence, as he'd had always wanted to see/do a Solo film.

Im not 'trying' to use any card. Her friendship with GL does not automatically make her a fan :facepalm It is documented. She said it was her job to protect the legacy of Star Wars. How's that working out for her?

She and George were the reason for Solo? What's that have to do with fandom. It was a movie that fans didn't want. Oh, and it bombed.
So just to reiterate, KK is not a SW fan. She is a business woman that makes expensive mistakes.

Im not 'trying' to use any card. Her friendship with GL does not automatically make her a fan :facepalm It is documented. She said it was her job to protect the legacy of Star Wars. How's that working out for her?

She and George were the reason for Solo? What's that have to do with fandom. It was a movie that fans didn't want. Oh, and it bombed.
So just to reiterate, KK is not a SW fan. She is a business woman that makes expensive mistakes.

The "fans" may not have wanted Solo. But Lawrence wanted it. Is he not a fan as well?

I'd say she's done a fair job at protecting the Legacy. The biggest booboo for me was Forces of Destiny. Aiming it girls only, but even with that, they backtracked very quickly and expanded the audience. And, if remember, their second to last episode is brilliant.

And yeah she's made errors that lead to lots of money being expended. But she's trying to fill really really big shoes. The fact that Star Wars has lasted as long as it has without the man himself George Lucas, is quite amazing.

Say what you will about the character "assassinations" Han, Leia, Luke. But we've seen a selfish smuggler become a father, and die in an attempt to redeem his son, that's powerful. And we got to see Leia use the Force finally, which is as good as it's going to get since our beloved Carrie Fisher passed away. And Luke, a human, a failure, who stands up to his mistakes and becomes again the hero we always knew he was, and that will inspire an entire galaxy to fight evil.

We've seen a selfish smuggler become a failed father and husband and return to being a selfish smuggler. We've seen Leia refuse to learn about the force, become a failed mother and wife and then use the force in the most poorly executed way. We've seen the 'greatest jedi' attempt to murder his nephew, run away and hide and refuse help the galaxy he once saved.

All this from someone who is "as much of a Star Wars fan you or I"?

We've seen a selfish smuggler become a failed father and husband and return to being a selfish smuggler. We've seen Leia refuse to learn about the force, become a failed mother and wife and then use the force in the most poorly executed way. We've seen the 'greatest jedi' attempt to murder his nephew, run away and hide and refuse help the galaxy he once saved.

I think, at best, RJ could be a fan, but made the mistake i think a number of director's make and felt he had to leave 'his' mark on the film. In something like star wars, you do have certain responsibilities to what's come before. Letting the director(s) write their own flicks, too, i think is a big mistake. The job of director is to direct what's presented. NOT to write it. You can hire the same guy as a writer, i suppose, but they're are not one and the same.

Star wars should not be written by it's directors at this point. When it was George, it was completely difference as he wrote the damned things 1-6. Star Wars was his. This is not RJ's trilogy or story - there's a bigger picture you have to stay true to. He didn't stay true, and worse, there doesn't seem to be a 'big picture' for this trilogy.

OT - once it because a trilogy, we KNEW the empire had to be defeated
PT - Based on the OT, we knew the Empire had to emerge and the good guys loose.

ST? It was theoretically fresh because it was the first time in 40 years we didn't know where things were going. It could have ended with either side winning. What they did tell us though - end of the skywalker story, pretty much implies at this point that the bad guys loose. However, After 2 flicks, we have no clue where it's going. None. There are no remotely major plot points left. Big mistake for a trilogy.

Spin it around and it comes out - at least on what he know - as a failure from the top levels. Failure to lead, plan, or stop dumb things before they're done, etc.
Greenie had it right - you don't build on the most powerful franchise in history by undoing everything that built it in the first place. Han's death i leave as an exception because we all know HF wanted that. Completely undoing his character arc, though, is BS. Same with Luke. Leia, at least they didn't get to totally thrash her in IX which i'm sure was coming.

It reeks of trying to put your own stamp on something (from the top of LFL to the director) to set yourself a part. If it works, great. But when it fails like this - you have to own it. They aren't owning it frankly. And, there's a difference between defending it and owning it.

George made something HE wanted to and people loved it and it became a masterwork. He failed in the prequels, but it was his right to do what he did as it was his story. The new group post-disney is supposed to be a shepherd of the property and guide it to new heights - not destroy the past so you can build your future and not have to really deal with the other work.

I think, at best, RJ could be a fan, but made the mistake i think a number of director's make and felt he had to leave 'his' mark on the film. In something like star wars, you do have certain responsibilities to what's come before. Letting the director(s) write their own flicks, too, i think is a big mistake. The job of director is to direct what's presented. NOT to write it. You can hire the same guy as a writer, i suppose, but they're are not one and the same.

Star wars should not be written by it's directors at this point. When it was George, it was completely difference as he wrote the damned things 1-6. Star Wars was his. This is not RJ's trilogy or story - there's a bigger picture you have to stay true to. He didn't stay true, and worse, there doesn't seem to be a 'big picture' for this trilogy.

ST? It was theoretically fresh because it was the first time in 40 years we didn't know where things were going. It could have ended with either side winning. What they did tell us though - end of the skywalker story, pretty much implies at this point that the bad guys loose. However, After 2 flicks, we have no clue where it's going. None. There are no remotely major plot points left. Big mistake for a trilogy.

Spin it around and it comes out - at least on what he know - as a failure from the top levels. Failure to lead, plan, or stop dumb things before they're done, etc.
@Greenie had it right - you don't build on the most powerful franchise in history by undoing everything that built it in the first place. Han's death i leave as an exception because we all know HF wanted that. Completely undoing his character arc, though, is BS. Same with Luke. Leia, at least they didn't get to totally thrash her in IX which i'm sure was coming.

It reeks of trying to put your own stamp on something (from the top of LFL to the director) to set yourself a part. If it works, great. But when it fails like this - you have to own it. They aren't owning it frankly. And, there's a difference between defending it and owning it.

George made something HE wanted to and people loved it and it became a masterwork. He failed in the prequels, but it was his right to do what he did as it was his story. The new group post-disney is supposed to be a shepherd of the property and guide it to new heights - not destroy the past so you can build your future and not have to really deal with the other work.

Yep!

Im sure there are 'hardcore' fans within LFL but as a collective organisation, they've underestimated forty years of sustained fandom.

Technically I think it speaks anecdotally, fwiw.
Oh it does, absolutely, I never made a statement that it’s based on any proper measurements or studies and certainly a CeX shop in Waltham Cross is not representative. I could even be making it up.
I haven’t seen that number with TFA or R1 though.

Anyone got any idea on what dates the crew will be in Ireland for the filming of IX?

@Greenie had it right - you don't build on the most powerful franchise in history by undoing everything that built it in the first place. Han's death i leave as an exception because we all know HF wanted that. Completely undoing his character arc, though, is BS. Same with Luke. Leia, at least they didn't get to totally thrash her in IX which i'm sure was coming.

Actually George was only writer and director for 1,2,3, and 4. For 5, 6 he only wrote the story, with the screenplays and directing responsibilities going to other people.

And why should they be good parents? Leia is preoccupied with her political career. And Han not having much of a father, isn't going to be greatest father.

And Leia's use of the Force was perfect. It showed how strongly the Force naturally flows through the Skywalkers.

And I've said the before, why do we think that Luke is the greatest Jedi? He fails every lesson, and ends becoming a Jedi school drop out. And he didn't attempt to murder his nephew. He was briefly tempted by the Dark Side to murder him. But it was gone in an instant. And besides if your going to be having Luke hide from the galaxy. Then something really really terrible has to have happened to him to shake him up that much.

Joek3rr, dont you think its about time you started making some of your own threads about all your thoughts on Star Wars or at least utilise the existing ones? I know your big on You Tube comment sections and admitted your getting a bit of a reputation there but this place works on an entirely different level. Just saying.

@Joek3rr, dont you think its about time you started making some of your own threads about all your thoughts on Star Wars or at least utilise the existing ones? I know your big on You Tube comment sections and admitted your getting a bit of a reputation there but this place works on an entirely different level. Just saying.

Yep I should. I'm currently working on a little write up, that I'm going post somewhere.......if I can ever finish it:D

Yep I should. I'm currently working on a little write up, that I'm going post somewhere.......if I can ever finish it:D
You can start a new thread without a long write-up or essay. Let's try to keep comments and post on topic. There are plenty of other threads about about Star Wars we can talk about stories in. This thread is supposed to be about KK and LFL business dealings.
"stay on target"

And why should they be good parents? Leia is preoccupied with her political career. And Han not having much of a father, isn't going to be greatest father.

And Leia's use of the Force was perfect. It showed how strongly the Force naturally flows through the Skywalkers.

And I've said the before, why do we think that Luke is the greatest Jedi? He fails every lesson, and ends becoming a Jedi school drop out. And he didn't attempt to murder his nephew. He was briefly tempted by the Dark Side to murder him. But it was gone in an instant. And besides if your going to be having Luke hide from the galaxy. Then something really really terrible has to have happened to him to shake him up that much.

No, no, no.
You're making excuses based on how these characters have been re-written. Nothing from episode VII &VIII aligns with the events of episode VI.

Star wars is an archetypal heroes journey which culminated in ROTJ with a 'happily ever after' ending.
Han Solo was a selfish smuggler that changed his ways, he began to care about others more than himself and fell in love with a princess. His character arc was complete.
Luke did not fail to destroy the Death Star. He did not fail to save his friends. He returned to complete his training and he did not fail to save his father who did not fail to destroy the Emperor. Luke's actions saved the Galaxy and his character arc was complete.
Leia's character arc is even simpler. She was fighting political injustice as a key figure in the rebellion. Along the way she reluctantly fell in love. When the empire fell, her work was done and she was free to pursue love.
So, she uses the force to save herself? No. That's not Leia Organa. She would use the force to save everyone else in that moment.

Luke was dumped on the island because MA, JJA and LK didn't have enough talent to write a better story. RJ created the reason for him being there. Hiding like a coward.
And yeah, he attempted to murder his nephew. Or does using the force negate all responsibility of actions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back