Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

It wouldn't surprise me at all if toys in general we're taking a dive due to kids being all up in their tablets and whatnot, but that's only speculation.
My local toy superstore has approx 1metre section for it"s star wars stuff. And that is hidden in amongst WWE, Marvel, DC, Incredibles, Jurassic world an all sorts of other types of figures and playsets. I doubt 2 whole aisles would be devoted to this if kids werent interested. The merch since TFA has been awful.

If all legos were 50% off, maybe. But a "thread the needle" analysis is silly. All other legos, full price. Lego Star Wars, half off. Nope...cant be the Star Wars part that is failing.

Nooo sirrr-eee

The replacement for KK is the next issue. Will JJ be safe with episode IX? How? Unless the galaxy comes out of the woodwork to rescue the rebels. Then we get to ask, "why wait so long?"
New threat? RJ has them in quite a hole. People who want to love it will love it anyway. I'd like to be pleasantly surprised, but not holding mt breath.

The Disney-era SW toys have been messed up. I thought that back when TFA came out.

This batch of figures is 4" tall but it's only half the characters. That adult collectible batch is 6" tall but they are too 'posed' to do anything or fit in the vehicles. They made a toy of this vehicle, but it's not big enough for half the figures and it's got some goofy feature that only looks fun once. They didn't make a toy of that vehicle at all except hot-wheels size . . . as far as I could tell the toy lines have been totally incoherent in the Disney era.

My local toy superstore has approx 1metre section for it"s star wars stuff. And that is hidden in amongst WWE, Marvel, DC, Incredibles, Jurassic world an all sorts of other types of figures and playsets. I doubt 2 whole aisles would be devoted to this if kids werent interested. The merch since TFA has been awful.

That may be. I certainly see all kinds of toys at the local Target, I just never see kids playing with them. And I'm not saying kids aren't interested in them, I'm just saying that what I've observed and that it seems likely that traditional toys have taken some kind of sales hit since every kid started getting a tablet.

That may be. I certainly see all kinds of toys at the local Target, I just never see kids playing with them. And I'm not saying kids aren't interested in them, I'm just saying that what I've observed and that it seems likely that traditional toys have taken some kind of sales hit since every kid started getting a tablet.
Undoubtedly, but it appears that out of all the toys they don't want to play with, they don't want to play with Star Wars the most.
Hence why a massive toy shop is barely giving them shelf space.

I was being silly. In light of the way the rebels used hyperspace.

I wonder what the wash up from Gunn being fired, no pun intended, will be in relation to this topic? Will it be a case of Feige cementing his position at the MCU in light of the extra workload that has just landed on his desk or will it push him to the soon to be vacant Lucasfilm position and start fresh there?

Our Walmart has about 4 feet and maybe 4 or 5 shelves tall. Rarely is it completely filled. The various RC droids seem to be very popular.

- - - Updated - - -

The Disney-era SW toys have been messed up. I thought that back when TFA came out.

This batch of figures is 4" tall but it's only half the characters. That adult collectible batch is 6" tall but they are too 'posed' to do anything or fit in the vehicles. They made a toy of this vehicle, but it's not big enough for half the figures and it's got some goofy feature that only looks fun once. They didn't make a toy of that vehicle at all except hot-wheels size . . . as far as I could tell the toy lines have been totally incoherent in the Disney era.

I think they were trying go slightly retro with less joints and all. But man I sure miss my 3 3/4 inch figures with ball joints.

I wonder what the wash up from Gunn being fired, no pun intended, will be in relation to this topic? Will it be a case of Feige cementing his position at the MCU in light of the extra workload that has just landed on his desk or will it push him to the soon to be vacant Lucasfilm position and start fresh there?

I find it highly unlikely that this would push Feige anywhere. They've got a great thing going with the MCU and I've no doubt they'll find the right talent to widen the cosmic end of the MCU. Taika Waititi anyone?
The closer we get to filming on EP IX starting the less likely I think it is that Kennedy goes anywhere before that film releases.

What's wrong with them trying to get support of their new streaming service? T.V. is slowly going the way of the Dodo bird. With services like Netflix and Amazon taking its place. Disney is simply trying to keep up with the times. Metaphorically speaking, it's a kill or be killed entertainment industry. I predict in the next few years that we will hit the limit on streaming services. And then they'll start to die off, leaving the top two or three. Whomever is got the best selection and best shows is what's going to decide the who stays and who goes. I wonder how the likes of DirecTV and Dish will change in an attempt to stay afloat.

Nothing is wrong with it, per se. I mentioned in another thread that if it's done well, it could, and likely will be successful. After all, it'll have much, much more content than just Star Wars. But I feel like this is a way to bait back the disgruntled fans. Those who loath the sequel trilogy and the anthology films, the ones who say they will boycott IX, and the DVD/ Blu-ray sales, might be enticed by the lost Clone Wars episodes. Either way, Disney and KK get money from those disgruntled fans. It's one thing to boycott something you hate, that's easy. It's much harder to boycott something you love and have been begging to get. I guess maybe it's the timing of the announcement, when Disney/ Lucasfilm are at odds with many fans, that struck me a shady.

Nothing is wrong with it, per se. I mentioned in another thread that if it's done well, it could, and likely will be successful. After all, it'll have much, much more content than just Star Wars. But I feel like this is a way to bait back the disgruntled fans. Those who loath the sequel trilogy and the anthology films, the ones who say they will boycott IX, and the DVD/ Blu-ray sales, might be enticed by the lost Clone Wars episodes. Either way, Disney and KK get money from those disgruntled fans. It's one thing to boycott something you hate, that's easy. It's much harder to boycott something you love and have been begging to get. I guess maybe it's the timing of the announcement, when Disney/ Lucasfilm are at odds with many fans, that struck me a shady.

Don't think they could have done much with the timing. This is the 10th anniversary after all.

That's true. It may be pure coincidence and I'm looking at only part of the equation. Wouldn't be the first time.
Anyway, I'm not one of the ST trilogy haters. I recognize it has significant problems, lazy writing, etc. But nothing SW has ever been perfect and the days of instant news and global communication make everyone a critic.

I'll probably subscribe, at least initially if I'm interested in the entire contents of the service. Just like I'll grit my teeth and catch an opening weekend matinee for EP IX.

As to the original point of this thread, I think KK is a hindrance to the IP, but at this point, if she stays, she has a lot of work to do. Iger will not be happy if she loses their 4 billion dollar purchase by losing the fans. I'm sure their financial projections planned for much, much more than breaking even or only meager profit.

There is no reason to think that the division displayed here is unique to this site and not indicative of the situation as a whole, in my opinion. The toys arent saturated, they just arent wanted, simple business. What the future holds is unknown but as of right now, nearly all the people who comment here about the next movie are saying they are not interested. The same people who stayed away from Solo are not going to change course for Ep Nein unless change is made. Yes, I know this site doesnt represent the entire community but at the same time its not a small site either. Regardless, September is fast approaching and that seems to be the time that either Kennedy will go or stay and also the time Feiges contract is up so we will know soon enough.

Statistics are a pretty mature science. Giant corporations rely on them for million dollar decisions. Simply put, you want a survey from a broad cross-section of the population...usually 1000+ and the more the better. And it helps if it isn't from a niche group like "people from a movie prop website".

Personally, and this is admittedly anecdotal. But I see people wear Star Wars merch all the time. Shirts, hats, backpacks, etc. Star Wars night at the ball park is super popular, people go crazy for the groups in costume. I see it more than I see people going around talking about how bad Star Wars has become.

I'll say it again. Kennedy leaving was just a rumor from a website that cited absolutely no direct source. A site that likes to charge $45 a year for subscription. A site that is very interested in hooking customers. Can we at least wait for something substantial?

As far as Feige, when asked if he was going to be involved with SW in the future he said...

"No. Only in my backyard with my action figures."

https://www.slashfilm.com/kevin-feige-interview-ant-man-and-the-wasp/

What more can be said on that?

Statistics are a pretty mature science. Giant corporations rely on them for million dollar decisions. Simply put, you want a survey from a broad cross-section of the population...usually 1000+ and the more the better. And it helps if it isn't from a niche group like "people from a movie prop website".

Personally, and this is admittedly anecdotal. But I see people wear Star Wars merch all the time. Shirts, hats, backpacks, etc. Star Wars night at the ball park is super popular, people go crazy for the groups in costume. I see it more than I see people going around talking about how bad Star Wars has become.

I'll say it again. Kennedy leaving was just a rumor from a website that cited absolutely no direct source. A site that likes to charge $45 a year for subscription. A site that is very interested in hooking customers. Can we at least wait for something substantial?

As far as Feige, when asked if he was going to be involved with SW in the future he said...

"No. Only in my backyard with my action figures."

https://www.slashfilm.com/kevin-feige-interview-ant-man-and-the-wasp/

What more can be said on that?

As I already said, there is a whole thread dedicated to the decline of Star Wars toys right here in this forum chock full facts from people inside and outside the industry so you hardly have to take my word for it. Just look.

And I bet London to a brick that 99% of those people you see wearing Star Wars merch and the people in costume are wearing stuff related to the OT, not the Disney era. But in reality that cant be proven either way can it?

The Kennedy stuff has grown from that single report and has been added to by Grace Randolf, a prominent industry reporter with information about Bob Iger himself wanting to replace Kennedy. As far as Feiges comments, things can change on a dime in showbiz. Twenty four hours ago James Gunn was among Disneys greatest assets. Today, lucky to ever work again.

Reactions: JPH

As I already said, there is a whole thread dedicated to the decline of Star Wars toys right here in this forum chock full facts from people inside and outside the industry so you hardly have to take my word for it. Just look.

And I bet London to a brick that 99% of those people you see wearing Star Wars merch and the people in costume are wearing stuff related to the OT, not the Disney era. But in reality that cant be proven either way can it?

The Kennedy stuff has grown from that single report and has been added to by Grace Randolf, a prominent industry reporter with information about Bob Iger himself wanting to replace Kennedy. As far as Feiges comments, things can change on a dime in showbiz. Twenty four hours ago James Gunn was among Disneys greatest assets. Today, lucky to ever work again.
I didn't actually address the toy situation in that post. So??????

I said it was anecdotal.

And where did Grace Randolf get that information? Named or unnamed sources?

Feige said he wasn't going to work in SW. That should end it right there. And logically, the firing of James Gunn would cause Feige to have even more reasons to stay at Marvel. Chiefly due to the vacuum created by Gunn's firing.

And logically, the firing of James Gunn would cause Feige to have even more reasons to stay at Marvel. Chiefly due to the vacuum created by Gunn's firing.

No, as customary in that situation her source chose to remain anonymous.

I posed a question on that subject just a few posts ago, glad you could address it. I dont share your absolute certainty on that or anything else actually.

No, as customary in that situation her source chose to remain anonymous.

I posed a question on that subject just a few posts ago, glad you could address it. I dont share your absolute certainty on that or anything else actually.

I understand journalistic confidence. But journalists and those who cite them as sources should also understand that people have a right to be skeptical of unnamed sources.

What subject are you referring to?

I understand journalistic confidence. But journalists and those who cite them as sources should also understand that people have a right to be skeptical of unnamed sources.

What subject are you referring to?

This is very true but in this situation its more than understandable when disclosure would result in termination as opposed to the rumor you freely cited about LFL making changes to the way they go about things such as not employing untried directors etc that was attributed to no one.

I`m sure as soon as Kennedy come`s out of self imposed exile someone one will ask her about her future, that is if she doesnt just confine herself to shill media outlets only in which case, it will never be asked.

Post number 1609 on this page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back