Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

Except...

WWII bombers came in waves on a planet. Not six. But hundreds of bombers.

Even in our world, bombers have clips attached to their ship, when dropped, the clips armed the bombs.

Your observation is entirely absurd. In space you can approach from ANY direction. Six bombers from six different directions means reduction of incoming fire by 84%!!!

Whoever wrote your blurb is trying to excuse bad writing. Ignoring reality and credible tactics doesnt make it acceptable.

Good thing Poe took out their anti-aircraft! That was sarcasm.

Clumping together results in the enemy aiming for ONE BIG TARGET. They died. It was a frivilous waste of personel and ships.

And, as I recall, one, lone bomber DID make it. ;)

Gee, wonder why ?

So yes, it was a completely stupid plan. Vacuous of any common sense or strategy. This is supposed to be the Last bomber fleet, so even more insult to how plainly ridiculous the entire scene was.

The story demanding something really really stupid happen is the backbone of tlj.

Number of waves is irrelevant. Did you see how destructive the bombs were to the dreadnought? Why use more bombers? No need. Also, as you said yourself in what I’ve quoted, this is all they had. Not everything is the same, or you could say, “in WW2 the bombers had propellers.” They’re making sci-fi, not reenacting WW2.

If your argument is “even in our world...”, there’s a whole lot of things that don’t make sense. You could begin with lightsabers, or sound in space, and proceed from there. Irrelevant.

Yes they could approach from any direction, but then they’d be spread apart even more, eliminating the overlapping arcs of fire from the bomber’s turret gunners (something non-existent in the small fighters I mentioned). The fact that the turret gunners could cover both their own bomber and those on either side is what kept them alive as long as they were.

My “blurb” is from Wookieepedia, a canon source you cited yourself :lol Ignoring reality? This is Star Wars, and we’re talking about combat in space (with sound!) between spaceships. Reality? Really?

Poe did take out their guns, yes. AA are a reason why bombers (in real life, or in SW) would need to fly in a looser formation. No more guns meant they could fly closer together, for the reasoning given in Wookieepedia, and my description above.

Yes, one bomber did make it. It’s how the story was written for it to play out. It’s not as if writers write a battle scene, and look at what’s happening in order to determine: “hey, looks like the First Order will come out on top in this one!” Obviously the result is predetermined. No less impossible than the Falcon surviving a direct attack on a SD, one would think. Both happened.

I’ve explained the plan, and why they’d fly close together. Wookieepedia explains it. If you don’t want to accept the explanation that’s fine, but don’t pretend there isn’t any. There’s screencaps above. There’s a “blurb” directly out of Wookieepedia.

As for the last sentence, the story demanding that something stupid (replace with unlikely, or unexpected, or lucky, or random, etc) is the backbone of numerous films. Why does the Death Star come out of orbit on the wrong side of Yavin? The answer is what you said, the story demands it.

Suspension of disbelief. Apparently not happening, neither in relation to TLJ nor to KK.

Reactions: JPH

The story demanding something really really stupid happen is the backbone of tlj.

Anymore stupid then the Empires biggest weapon have a one shot kill hole?(yes, rogue one explained this, but much later on) Seriously? The rebel's have fly down a long trench for such a long distance? Huh? Why does the Empire attack with really ungainly walking machines? And the armor on the AT-AT magically become ineffectual when it falls down? What!? Or a bunch of teddy could defeat the best Stormtroopers? *facepalm* The Gungans have shield that can stop everything, but the droids can still walk through? How convenient. The Stormtroopers can't hit squat!..........

Star Wars is full of "stupid" stuff. But it's fun and we love it, so we come up with crazy explanations. Star Wars is like family, we love it even though it has faults.

Number of waves is irrelevant. Did you see how destructive the bombs were to the dreadnought? Why use more bombers? No need. Also, as you said yourself in what I’ve quoted, this is all they had. Not everything is the same, or you could say, “in WW2 the bombers had propellers.” They’re making sci-fi, not reenacting WW2.

If your argument is “even in our world...”, there’s a whole lot of things that don’t make sense. You could begin with lightsabers, or sound in space, and proceed from there. Irrelevant.

Yes they could approach from any direction, but then they’d be spread apart even more, eliminating the overlapping arcs of fire from the bomber’s turret gunners (something non-existent in the small fighters I mentioned). The fact that the turret gunners could cover both their own bomber and those on either side is what kept them alive as long as they were.

My “blurb” is from Wookieepedia, a canon source you cited yourself :lol Ignoring reality? This is Star Wars, and we’re talking about combat in space (with sound!) between spaceships. Reality? Really?

Poe did take out their guns, yes. AA are a reason why bombers (in real life, or in SW) would need to fly in a looser formation. No more guns meant they could fly closer together, for the reasoning given in Wookieepedia, and my description above.

Yes, one bomber did make it. It’s how the story was written for it to play out. It’s not as if writers write a battle scene, and look at what’s happening in order to determine: “hey, looks like the First Order will come out on top in this one!” Obviously the result is predetermined. No less impossible than the Falcon surviving a direct attack on a SD, one would think. Both happened.

I’ve explained the plan, and why they’d fly close together. Wookieepedia explains it. If you don’t want to accept the explanation that’s fine, but don’t pretend there isn’t any. There’s screencaps above. There’s a “blurb” directly out of Wookieepedia.

As for the last sentence, the story demanding that something stupid (replace with unlikely, or unexpected, or lucky, or random, etc) is the backbone of numerous films. Why does the Death Star come out of orbit on the wrong side of Yavin? The answer is what you said, the story demands it.

Except you are defending a FAILED TACTIC.

Let that sink in.

*drops mike*

Except you are defending a FAILED TACTIC.

Let that sink in.

*drops mike*

Heh, really? Mic drop?

Did the tactic fail? The dreadnought was destroyed, yes? That was the goal, yes?

At great cost, we can agree. There’s a term for it. It’s called Pyrrhic victory.

It seems you’ve moved the goalposts once again: first it was “why arm the bombs in the bombers” and “why fly so close together,” then when that was explained/justified you changed to “well, it’s a stupid tactic,” and when the tactic was explained again we’ve now shifted to “well, it failed.”

But it didn’t fail, did it? An argument could be made as to whether destroying one dreadnought was worth losing so many Resistance ships, and that argument is raised by Leia. It’s decided that while the mission was a success, the cost outweighed the gain.

But the mission was still a success. Again, Pyrrhic victory. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrrhic_victory

I think we can move on to something else. :)

Heh, really? Mic drop?

Did the tactic fail? The dreadnought was destroyed, yes? That was the goal, yes?

At great cost, we can agree. There’s a term for it. It’s called Pyrrhic victory.

It seems you’ve moved the goalposts once again: first it was “why arm the bombs in the bombers” and “why fly so close together,” then when that was explained/justified you changed to “well, it’s a stupid tactic,” and when the tactic was explained again we’ve now shifted to “well, it failed.”

But it didn’t fail, did it? An argument could be made as to whether destroying one dreadnought was worth losing so many Resistance ships, and that argument is raised by Leia. It’s decided that while the mission was a success, the cost outweighed the gain.

But the mission was still a success. Again, Pyrrhic victory. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrrhic_victory

I think we can move on to something else. :)

Rose's sister's bomber arrived late.

You dont recall the scene where all the fwd bombers blew up and Leia hears their screams? THEN Rose's crew shows up and does their run...oops!

Read your all-over-the-place rant, you moved goal post. Dont accuse me of your tactics.

Yeah, mike drop.

On the topic of these bombers - if Y-Wings had been in their place, I think things would have been a lot better off for the Resistance. Mainly because the MG-100's had terrible sub-light speed and poor maneuvering, not to mention being a powder keg that would explode with even the slightest damage. I guess at this time, the only starships available were the newly made MG-100 StarFortresses' - which if these are indeed new designs, why use them instead of re-purposing the older and much more successful Y-Wing bombers? After all - the Y-Wings were leftover and modified versions of the same Y-Wings used in the Clone Wars (armor heavily removed).

Rose's sister's bomber arrived late.

You dont recall the scene where all the fwd bombers blew up and Leia hears their screams? THEN Rose's crew shows up and does their run...oops!

Read your all-over-the-place rant, you moved goal post. Dont accuse me of your tactics.

Yeah, mike drop.
Ok, so we’re moving the goalposts again to “yeah, but the one bomber was slow!” Ok, I’ll get to that.

If my lengthy posts are all over the place, it’s because I’m responding to you as your focus jumps from one thing to another. First it’s armed bombs in the bombers, then flying close together, then its a stupid plan, then it’s a failed plan, and now we’re bringing up a slow bomber for the first time.

To go back to your first sentence here, though, no. I don’t remember a scene where all the forward bombers blow up and Leia hears their screams. Watch the video and tell me when that happens: https://youtu.be/9seFVJuzRSM (here’s a hint: it doesn’t.)

Here are some screencaps showing what actually happens. There’s no “slow bomber.”

Here we see the formation of bombers. Start at 3:00 in the video, at about 3:20 one of the bomber crewmen says “I’ve got a visual on the target. We’re approaching the sweet spot.” We’ll see what the sweet spot is in a moment. They aren’t there yet.
50087BAB-E4ED-4114-945F-992CDC13257A.png9DB5FD09-64B6-4704-A2FD-FCD34EEAB6CF.png

Next we see Rose’s sister’s bomber in the foreground, with a number of bombers blowing up next to/behind her. First image shows her bomber with her gun turret, upper left. Second image shows first person perspective of her turret, watching other bombers blow up. Start at 3:35 in the YouTube clip to see the sequence.
C3B81812-9DA0-49F3-B986-74294DBA7969.jpg22EE576F-14FD-4285-B8B3-77582B38832C.jpg

By 3:50 there’s one bomber left, Rose’s sister’s. Seen here. Note the round thing on the bottom middle of the first screencap, and top middle of the second screencap. That’s the sweet spot.
3CB96291-F19B-4D92-811B-1846D3B053B6.pngB6F3D35D-7140-4219-A2CF-D9541972925F.jpg

And finally, we see why it took so long. Screencap shows bombs hitting the sweet spot. Mission accomplished. The bomber wasn’t slow, it was right next to all the others, and survived when they all blew up long enough to reach the ultimate target.
D211B609-7CE7-4188-AFD6-54F25751EC99.jpg

Any additional things you bring up in response to all this will likely be easily verified by just watching the YouTube clip or looking at the numerous screencaps I’ve now posted. So I’m off to other threads now. Thanks for keeping things civil, we have enough other threads devolving into nonsense with bans and such.

Attachments

• 3C37D045-8C3C-4B40-AAD6-B33D7F0D6830.png
    3C37D045-8C3C-4B40-AAD6-B33D7F0D6830.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 56

On the topic of these bombers - if Y-Wings had been in their place, I think things would have been a lot better off for the Resistance. Mainly because the MG-100's had terrible sub-light speed and poor maneuvering, not to mention being a powder keg that would explode with even the slightest damage. I guess at this time, the only starships available were the newly made MG-100 StarFortresses' - which if these are indeed new designs, why use them instead of re-purposing the older and much more successful Y-Wing bombers? After all - the Y-Wings were leftover and modified versions of the same Y-Wings used in the Clone Wars (armor heavily removed).
This was my thought when I watched the first time. Why not use Y-wings? I’m guessing the answer to that involves both the plot points that a multi-man vehicle offered, and of course the opportunity to sell some toys :)

As for in-universe, I’m not sure we see any Resistance Y’s. I think there might be a few B-wings in the background of some shots but I don’t remember Y’s.

edit: looking into this it does seem they had Y-wings, that showed up in some of the books or other material surrounding TFA/TLJ, if not in the actual films. I’d need to watch both again in their entirety to know for sure.

edit #2: it could simply be that the payload for each of these heavy bombers is greater than for one Y-wing. Each of the ones in TLJ carries about 1000 bombs. I have no idea how many a Y-wing can carry but I imagine it’s less, given how much space the ones on the TLJ bomber appear take up.

Last edited:

This was my thought when I watched the first time. Why not use Y-wings? I’m guessing the answer to that involves both the plot points that a multi-man vehicle offered, and of course the opportunity to sell some toys :)

As for in-universe, I’m not sure we see any Resistance Y’s. I think there might be a few B-wings in the background of some shots but I don’t remember Y’s.

edit: looking into this it does seem they had Y-wings, that showed up in some of the books or other material surrounding TFA/TLJ, if not in the actual films. I’d need to watch both again in their entirety to know for sure.

edit #2: it could simply be that the payload for each of these heavy bombers is greater than for one Y-wing. Each of the ones in TLJ carries about 1000 bombs. I have no idea how many a Y-wing can carry but I imagine it’s less, given how much space the ones on the TLJ bomber appear take up.

I don't think number of bombs matter with Y-Wings. They can be armed with various payloads. They've been seen destroying (or disabling) all kinds of ships (including star destroyers) throughout the various movies, books, and games. I think that the writers and producers wanted to sell toys as you said...but I haven't seen a playset for this yet (unless it's legos). No Y-wings were in any of the scenes in TLJ to my knowledge. Also, the new X-wing models they make are now hybrids - fighter-bombers...which again can be equipped with various payloads and tactical components (such as Poe's automated 360-degree turret on his first X-wing in TFA). Also Poe's later X-wing used on the assault at Starkiller base, which had a payload of various bomb types.

I don't think number of bombs matter with Y-Wings. They can be armed with various payloads. They've been seen destroying (or disabling) all kinds of ships (including star destroyers) throughout the various movies, books, and games. I think that the writers and producers wanted to sell toys as you said...but I haven't seen a playset for this yet (unless it's legos). No Y-wings were in any of the scenes in TLJ to my knowledge. Also, the new X-wing models they make are now hybrids - fighter-bombers...which again can be equipped with various payloads and tactical components (such as Poe's automated 360-degree turret on his first X-wing in TFA). Also Poe's later X-wing used on the assault at Starkiller base, which had a payload of various bomb types.

I like to think that the reason the Resistance used StarFortresses, is because that's all they had. The T-70 X-Wings that they use were ships not wanted by the Republic anymore. I would guess that the Resistance got a good price since they aren't the fastest things in the galaxy. Some dude at Canto Bight probably sold the bombers to them.

I like to think that the reason the Resistance used StarFortresses, is because that's all they had. The T-70 X-Wings that they use were ships not wanted by the Republic anymore. I would guess that the Resistance got a good price since they aren't the fastest things in the galaxy. Some dude at Canto Bight probably sold the bombers to them.

Given how incredibly flimsy they are I don't think they were mass produced. I think they were cobbled together from necessity.

Given how incredibly flimsy they are I don't think they were mass produced. I think they were cobbled together from necessity.
Wookieepedia says it's made by Slayn & Korpil. Same company that made the B-Wings. But that big magazine makes me think that Resistance crew extended it.

Good question. A more important question and one that is more relevant to this thread is what's up with Kathleen Kennedy? She's been awfully quiet.

Why do people keep saying this, as if she gave regular press conferences or had active social media accounts. The only time you've ever seen her is at film premieres or other events like that. Point to some public event where she was scheduled to speak and since canceled or something like that. Otherwise this notion of "Oh, she's been quiet lately. It must mean something!" is just more conspiracy theory fanboy wish fulfillment.

Why do people keep saying this, as if she gave regular press conferences or had active social media accounts. The only time you've ever seen her is at film premieres or other events like that. Point to some public event where she was scheduled to speak and since canceled or something like that. Otherwise this notion of "Oh, she's been quiet lately. It must mean something!" is just more conspiracy theory fanboy wish fulfillment.

hAs KaThLeEn KeNeDdY bEeN fIrEd?!?!?!?!?!

This is a classic all-over-the place rant from you. You threw out whatever crap you hoped woukd stick then cry when someone addresses your stream of consciouness rant. Heck! You even talk about sound in space again. THAT is depseration.

Moving the goalpost is an underexageration.

Once again, you are accusing me of *your* tactics. Civil would involve you owning up to it.

You really think a direct assault if preferred over multiple attack points, that is just dumb. As revealed by the movie. They blew up. Gee, even Poe got in trouble for it.

Yes, still dropping mikes. You cant claim BOTH SIDES of an issue. It was great, it blew up the dreadnaught, it was bad, everyobe died, lost all their bombers, a learning experience for Poe.

Moving the goal post and playing both sides of an issue ...absolutely weak.

The bombers which blew up were ridiculously close to each other. Rose's sister's bomber wasnt. Thats how it survived. It was a bad tactic, a terrible tactic, it destroyed their remaining bombers. It was a learning experience for Poe...how much stupid is a consious audience supposed to tolerate?

You dont think clustering bombers matters with numbers when that is the very reason for it! Did I mention they blew up?

And since I have been consistent, I love the pics of all the bombers with their payload areas blowing up first. Yiu dismiss what we have in our world today as an example of basic tech that would protect a bomber from blowing up, then provide data to support it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back