Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

For someone who has been here only a few months your making some large assumptions about someone who has been here just on ten years. I had no problems with Disney taking over the Star Wars movies and rather enjoyed TFA though the copy and pasting elements of the OT did annoy me a little, Was also a fan of R1 and have`nt seen Solo so have never commented on its quality.Also, I have been advocating the making of Kenobi for a very long time and am very much looking forward to the GoT movies as I have stated many times. Also Ive openly posted being a fan of the PT, something you dont see often.

So you couldnt be further from the truth when you state Im looking for stuff to hate.

I despise TLJ and my reasons for that have been well and truly covered over the last six months and see no need to explain my reasons over again, look them up. There`s over 200 pages of the same feelings posted by a huge number of different individuals in just TLJ post release thread. In regards to the EU, as I stated in the very first post, I dont know or really care to know anything about it until its explored in film, as is the case with a great many people. If its not in the movie, it didnt happen.

I'm trying not to make assumptions, that's why I'm asking questions.

And that creative Hyperkazi scene your so enamored with is almost exactly the same scene written as a part of a fan fiction novel written two years before TLJ was made. The only difference being it was Admiral Ackbar that made the ultimate sacrifice in that version. There is a video from the original writer posted in the Star Wars stand alone thread.

Well I didn’t say anything about EU, so I’m not sure why you’re going down that road. I’m sure there are many fans of EU, but the majority of people that are fans of the movies don’t know what any of the EU is. Either do the casual fans, who lovers of TLJ insist are a more powerful force than the super fans. What they know is what was in the movies, and based on what was in prior movies, TLJ didn’t respect any of it. From the way characters from the OT were handled, to even the continuation of storyline of ep. 7. If a director wants to make a Star Wars movie that disregards and disrespects the movies and characters before it, people will let them know about their dissatisfaction. If they don’t like that prospect, and don’t like being restrained by a well-established universe and character set then they’re more than welcome to take their efforts to another project more suited for their creative visions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But it did handle it perfectly. Literally the biggest complaint is that the Luke in the movie isn't the same as the Luke in the EU. And the story was continued. Read The Art of The Force Awakens, you'll see that things like a down and out Luke were there from the very beginning. In fact George pitched the idea. If anything going of off the movies alone, TLJ is the fairly logical continuation of the story.

Thats another problem with TLJ, it seems you have to read a dozen different bits of ancillary material to know whats going on.

And theres no way Lucas would have Luke perform a sex act on a space walrus or try to kill his nephew in his sleep or toss his fathers lightsaber over his shoulder after the journey he went through to redeem him. Lucas is guilty of a lot of things but a hipster doofus indie film maker when dealing with Star Wars is not among them.

Last edited:
Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

But it did handle it perfectly. Literally the biggest complaint is that the Luke in the movie isn't the same as the Luke in the EU. And the story was continued. Read The Art of The Force Awakens, you'll see that things like a down and out Luke were there from the very beginning. In fact George pitched the idea. If anything going of off the movies alone, TLJ is the fairly logical continuation of the story.

Well it “didn’t” handle it perfectly, and many people didn’t seem to think so either. I have NEVER seen anyone say that they didn’t like TLJ because Luke wasn’t handled the way the EU handled him. Not one. In fact, you are the first person whom I’ve seen say that. My 71 year old mother who likes Star Wars and has never even heard the term “Expanded Universe” thought that Luke’s handling was insulting to the character. Granted she is not posting on internet boards stating so, but the point is even a casual movie-goer sees that it wasn’t handled “perfectly”.

Reading your book showing that that was the plan from the beginning only would mean they were wrong from the start, and it wasn’t RJ’s sole issue which is also what I said in my original comment.

My feeling is that they handled Luke the way they did because they had no other idea how to handle him without it outshining the silly new cast. Well they made a poor choice apparently because people, including, Mark, didn’t agree with it.

Add that as just a drop in the ocean of other complaints about this film and that adds up to a lot of unhappy galactic citizens. Agree with it or not, like it or not, it’s the actuality of the reaction to that film.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Since when is milking an animal considered a sex act?

I guess that milk you drink at home is considered beastiality.

It has been stated by many both here and in outside commentary that the look that creature gives Rey at the end of that scene is sexual in nature. And I wouldnt be caught dead drinking green milk. I see your not using Tap a Talk again.

Reactions: JPH

See when I mean they handle him perfectly I mean "perfectly". They went one of many directions they could have gone with Luke. To me Luke is perfect in that, this a person who saw the charred remains of his aunt and uncle. Saw his mentor killed in front him. Killed thousands of people. Learned his dad was one of the biggest bad guys in the galaxy. Luke is suffering from years of built up PTSD. Which is triggered when his nephew turns to the Dark Side.

The important thing to remember is Luke is wrong in the TLJ. His actions were emotionally driven. Luke feels, incorrectly, that the galaxy is better off without him or the Jedi. So yeah he chucks the lightsaber, the very symbol of what he trying to get away from. Yeah he milks a sea cow and isn't all nice about it. He's trying gross Rey out, he's not going to be a Martha Stewart, and be the perfect host. And sure he was tempted by the Dark Side to kill his nephew, it wasn't the first time.

Lucas would never have had him try to kill his nephew in his sleep, that goes outside the aforementioned spirit, But hey, when its all about subversion, anything goes is always an easy out.

It has been stated by many both here and in outside commentary that the look that creature gives Rey at the end of that scene is sexual in nature. And I wouldnt be caught dead drinking green milk. I see your not using Tap a Talk again.
Um, yes I am using my app for the forums.

And for a "fandon" to imagine what a "sexual look" from an imaginary animal and roll with is says a lot about said fandom.

Lucas would never have had him try to kill his nephew in his sleep, that goes outside the aforementioned spirit, But hey, when its all about subversion, anything goes is always an easy out.
Nah he just had anakin kill a bunch of toddlers.

But they were awake so that's the difference.

Been reading Ruin Johnson tweets have we.:lol A moment of real drama that perfectly showed the utter decline of a very significant character, not some cheap tar to fill a plot hole.

The old broken Fandom record is just about worn out for good but some will keep putting on the turntable till all that comes out of the speaker is scratchy static.

No one is above being tempted by the Dark Side. Even Master Windu contemplated killing an unarmed man. So why is Luke being tempted by the Dark Side so unbelievable?

Actually no, I dont have anything sw related on my Twitter feed, and if anything is worn out it's the #notmyluke movement.

You may see it as Luke being tempted by the Dark Side, I saw it as just a cheap way to show an imperfect Luke. Whatever works for you.

Not as worn out as # in anything.

Reactions: JPH

No one is above being tempted by the Dark Side. Even Master Windu contemplated killing an unarmed man. So why is Luke being tempted by the Dark Side so unbelievable?

Go back to '03 and look forward and try to find anyone who defended Anakin's fall or killing the kids in the temple. There weren't any. The whole fall, while we all knew it had to happen, was handled just terribly.

That said, we were never given 30 years of hero Anakin of which we were told nothing before he fell either. And it was a single character.

Sure, inflated expectations are a bit to blame - but 30 years down the road and all they can do to ANY of the OT characters is trash them. Everyone essentially regressed to the same point they were in when ANH started - or worse.

Han and Leia - we see nothing happy of the marriage. We're brought to divorced, Don't talk much, no one believes leia except a tiny band of resistance, han gave up and was doing lame smuggling. What we are told that happened to them positively the last 30 years? Nothing. Presumably they were married and had a kid. All we know really is, they had a kid who gave them both the middle finger and turned evil.

R2/3po - relegated to largely gathering dust in a corner.

Luke - quit on the galaxy, hid in the middle of nowhere, and gave up on the galaxy, his family, the jedi, etc, because a student turned evil. Never mind the fact he was the only one in the galaxy capable of facing that nephew. "I quit, let the evil win'.

Seems like Chewie was the only one not screwed over because he got a stronger blaster. Though he did have to go back to being a lame smuggler. He was honoring his debt so, the bad luck wasn't so much on him. However, when Han dies, someone he doesn't get the Falcon, it goes to the abandoned girl they've known a couple days who's not really connected to anyone, so, i guess they screwed him over too.

And before anyone jumps in about the books - that's a fail of logic quite frankly. A very small percentage of people who watch these movies are even aware of them, let alone read them. So, it's really not logical to say they all had lots of positive exploits, just read the books. Maybe 10% of the ticket buy crowd were in a group that read them. And that's being generous i think.

Lucas didn't tell anyone to read multiple books and comics before ANH premiered to get up on the story. The ST should not required the same thing either. Not even close. There were plenty of ways to respect what came before and make a set of new characters carry the day - they elected to stomp on it and set up the new ones on the ashes of the old ones. It wouldn't have been hard in the least to have treated them much better and pushed them into positions of power, retired, or died in the past. But no, had to go the belittling route.

That's where the break comes in, and where a good deal of the dislike comes in. No one expected 7, 8, or 9 to feature the OT crew kicking ass and taking names. They also didn't expect to see them wasted and diminished either.

Yoda wasn't a feature or focus of the prequels, but he wasn't treated poorly either. Same with Windu. Mon Mothma wasn't a remote focus in the OT, but wasn't treated poorly. The OT characters could easily have filled those roles or been left off all together. Hard to imagine them being treated much worse. If Lando shows up in 9 I worry he'll just be getting out of jail after a 30 year stint or something. R2 and 3po have to get obliterated, too. That's about all that's left.

Luke milking a critter was a scene that took fans out of the movie.

It was intentionally done for impact. Not in a good way, either. Just like tossing the saber, the director wanted to have a twist in every scene for a reaction, not to tell a story. Atleast he didnt have Luke put on makeup and pursue his dream of being a mime. In the end, there are multiple shocking outcomes that are going to be next to impossible to untie, unless there is a Gandalf moment where th galaxy responds to the distress call and fixes all the boo-boos...which would make us then ask, "why not a distress call sooner?" So, either way, it is a Catch 22.

Towards the end, I was counting rebel bodies, because they were portrayed as so incompetent.

The idea hyperspace had not been weaponized for the thousands of years though it has been available, is just not acceptable. Poor, sloppy inexcusable.

You can like that TFA and TLJ used hyperspace to bypass shields, but I think R1's scene where a blockade runner bounces off a Star Destroyer is much more accurate. The point behind hyperspace is also that you bypass relativity to enter an alternate dimension for travel. Otherwise, your mass approaches infinity as you approach light speed, which requires an infinite amount of energy.

And don't forget, we were told the new trilogy would not use canon, but when TLJ was not well received, we start hearing excuses, including it was canon. Either keep quiet or apologize, but to cite canon then make fun of fans has taken us to where we are now.

Luke milking a critter was a scene that took fans out of the movie.

It was intentionally done for impact. Not in a good way, either. Just like tossing the saber, the director wanted to have a twist in every scene for a reaction, not to tell a story. Atleast he didnt have Luke put on makeup and pursue his dream of being a mime. In the end, there are multiple shocking outcomes that are going to be next to impossible to untie, unless there is a Gandalf moment where th galaxy responds to the distress call and fixes all the boo-boos...which would make us then ask, "why not a distress call sooner?" So, either way, it is a Catch 22.

Towards the end, I was counting rebel bodies, because they were portrayed as so incompetent.

The idea hyperspace had not been weaponized for the thousands of years though it has been available, is just not acceptable. Poor, sloppy inexcusable.

You can like that TFA and TLJ used hyperspace to bypass shields, but I think R1's scene where a blockade runner bounces off a Star Destroyer is much more accurate. The point behind hyperspace is also that you bypass relativity to enter an alternate dimension for travel. Otherwise, your mass approaches infinity as you approach light speed, which requires an infinite amount of energy.

And don't forget, we were told the new trilogy would not use canon, but when TLJ was not well received, we start hearing excuses, including it was canon. Either keep quiet or apologize, but to cite canon then make fun of fans has taken us to where we are now.

The Raddus hadn't even entered hyperspace. The jump point was behind the First Order. The Raddus hadn't accelerated to light speed but not made the jump. So the ship was still in realspace when it impacted the Supremacy. The Raddus's experimental deflector shields did the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back