Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

It didn't help that the main brunt of the advertising seemed to not be trailers, but what I call tag-ons. Example....Nissan Rogue commercial and at the end, 'See Solo in theaters May 25th'...(ad still runs by the way). There were a couple other companies doing the same thing. THAT isn't going to put butts in the seats, you know?

Yup. A lot of TV spots and tag on commercials...

Then seeing likeable TV stars, Donald Glover and Daenerys?

seemed a TV movie.

Then you go to the theater and see a trailer... but it's dark and uninteresting...

Last edited:

If JJ can somehow undo all the garbage that Ruin put into TLJ, and word of mouth by OT fans are praising it. Then it won't bomb.
The story is going to have to be outstanding if not epic.
The thing is a lot of damage has been done. And people who feel betrayed by Ruins lack of respect towards SW isn't going to be forgotten.

It takes a master storyteller to weave all that convoluted mess left by Johnson when he dismantled the plot points set up by JJ in TFA and wrap everything up neatly with a bow for a satisfying finale. JJ just isn't one.

dismissing why Solo did poorly is beyond speculation. It is denial.

We *told you* we weren't going to see it. We told you Star Wars was on notice. We didn't have to mail it in an envelope with a postmark and open it after the fact, we went to forums and social media all over and announced what was going to happen.

Now you have proof that we didn't watch, and you are still trying to dismiss the foretold consequence.

Other movies came out and did GREAT around the same time as Solo. You are unphased.

People who love TLJ thought they were going to get away with liking non-StarWarscrap and name calling anyone who disagreed, but you don't have enough time or money to overcome the wave of *rejection* that we have promised.

Even if it kills the franchise, the same deniers won't acknowledge what actually happened. They loved what was *wrong* with it.

Spot on. Its true that the calls for an official boycott only reached a small amount of people but its more than obvious that an incredible amount of people made the decision themselves to keep their money in their wallets. When a similar response happens to Ep Nein, I cant wait to see what the deniers come up with to brush it off.

If that actually happens then I greatly look forward to a lot fewer negative hot takes when EpIX hits since so many naysayers seem to be fans of boycotts.

No one outside of this forum, or other forums (which is a TINY piece of the fandom) even knew there was a boycott... This site is the ONLY place I've even heard of a boycott.

This site.. these threads.

Specifically, the same fanatically angry 5-6 users. Plenty of people on here disliked TLJ, many are even angry about it-- but this hardcore, trash every comment, relentlessly post about the horrible state about star wars multiple times a day, and berate anyone that disagrees type person-- there's only 5-6 of them here. Which is representative of that brand of anger in fandom at large.

The loudest, not the biggest, voice.

- - - Updated - - -

If that actually happens then I greatly look forward to a lot fewer negative hot takes when EpIX hits since so many naysayers seem to be fans of boycotts.

Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll boycott this forum.

Specifically, the same fanatically angry 5-6 users. Plenty of people on here disliked TLJ, many are even angry about it-- but this hardcore, trash every comment, relentlessly post about the horrible state about star wars multiple times a day, and berate anyone that disagrees type person-- there's only 5-6 of them here. Which is representative of that brand of anger in fandom at large.

yeah if you look at the polls, it's still, on this forum 57% or so rating it "okay" to "great" with 28% at great.

"Disappointing" to "Bad" it is 43% with 21% at it was bad.. don't see it

It's divisive for sure... but these are also numbers from the Entertainment forum where for sure people are WAY pickier and are way more butt-hurt about things not playing out like it did with their action figures.

I suspect a good portion of it has to do with the relatively limited prerelease marketing, and a lousy schedule.
Back in May, I did not know that the movie was even going to be released right then until there were reviews everywhere. I had expected it to come at Christmas like the other Disneyfilm movies.

It is not an active "boycott" from my part. I just don't care any more.

Today, I touched up the paint on a Clone helmet and watched a documentary on Youtube about past Star Wars video games ... so I suppose I'm still a Star Wars fan of sorts, but it is like ... well, ... as if Lucasfilm is gone. For me, Star Wars is the past again, like it was before TPM.

Last edited:

I haven’t seen Solo yet. It’s not because of any boycott, even though I had some issues with TLJ, but it isn’t my story to tell. The real reason is that I just don’t go to the movies all that often these days. I’ll buy it when it comes out on blu ray.

I will be at Episode 9 on opening day.

the sad part is we don't want to see episode 9 bomb. We would love for it to be good.

...for it to be GREAT!!!

Funny how losing 150 million dollars still doesn't phase people. We told you we didn't like it...they still don't get it.

If Disney can somehow re-org and keep RJ and KK's social agenda far far away, I wouldn't say "no" to episode 9. But if it is steamed crap, round 2, it will bomb.

Remember how they hyped Plaque Banter by getting advanced ticket sales? They held gofundme to pay for kids to see it, brilliant marketing. I wait for something like that for Episode 9 *especially* if they know it is gonna suck. It might open strong then kerpluk . Some kind of marketing angle to sucke...er, lure people into the theatre.

The point is, if people were happy with Star Wars, Solo would have done well. Rogue 1 case and point.

So, enjoy your echo-chamber all you like, if Disney turns around its strategy, I'd love for the next Star Wars to be and perform GREAT, but if it is more of the stupidity like TLJ, it *will* bomb.

And yes, the rationalizations will be even sadder.

A LOT of people I know didn't go see Solo because ROGUE ONE was terrible.

I know a lot more people who hated that over TLJ. And Solo just looked to them like another Rogue One.

(I enjoyed Solo... felt it was FAR better than R1)

Well if you're blind enough to think that LFL and or the Mouse doesn't monitor the RPF and many other forums... The RPF is huge! There has been several C&D orders issued over the years. Many have done work for them and have non-disclosures with them. Guess what, they do monitor and push their weight around. Ask me, I know.

The amount of people disgusted with LFL since TLJ is in the millions. Its hardly a few fanboys. Rotten, filthy story telling and pathetic management have done this damage.

Well if you're blind enough to think that LFL and or the Mouse doesn't monitor the RPF and many other forums... The RPF is huge! There has been several C&D orders issued over the years. Many have done work for them and have non-disclosures with them. Guess what, they do monitor and push their weight around. Ask me, I know.

The amount of people disgusted with LFL since TLJ is in the millions. Its hardly a few fanboys. Rotten, filthy story telling and pathetic management have done this damage.

The amount of people upset is *ATLEAST* 150 million at the box office. You didn't know there was a boycott? We did. So, who's *not* paying attention?

Sad how people who loved the stupidity of TLJ say "a lack of interest," if fans didn't feel betrayed we would have been there opening night for Solo, and again and again.

The denial is pathologic.

When TFA We had 20 people opening night IMAX.

for Solo, none.

Solos marking was bad, the reviews were Luke warm and word of mouth was it's alright. it came out very close to marvel Juggernauts that's pretty much all need to know to see why it failed. Don't know about the US but in the UK a cinema ticket is $14.00 unless i know its going to be worth it i'm not spending that on a film.

it's funny and sad that small number angry men raging on the internet think they make such an impact. The majority of the general public aren't on forums hell a lot of people don't even read reviews and these are the people that matter because there are a lot more of them than there are hard core geeks.
I saw TLJ i didn't like it i also think a really good editor could make a great film out of it however it's not going to colour my view of future stars wars films i'll judge them on there own merit.

Really the only SW film that really bombed and killed any interest I have in the whole mess is TLJ,even the damn prequels had spots of good in them,but eight? the "not Luke" the utterly gawdawful story just did me in and even Ewoks didn't have that power,nor Jar-Jar!

I'm not 100% sure I'll watch Solo,I might but depends on rental cost if it's like Rouge one and I can only buy it for $19 then nope but if I can snag it for $4.99 on a two day rent...I might.

I had a dear friend text me and say" so this is the first time they had zero interest in seeing a SW film" ... After TLJ.

I took my kid. I thought it(Solo) was a fun film. I said he should go see it. Even though It has some major problems IMO. I still felt it was fun.

However we both (my son and I) walked out of TLJ totally disgusted. I fully blame Ruin for that. It was pathetic, blasphemy.

The problem I have with Solo is Alden, he isn't Solo and was horribly miscast.
Anthony Ingruber should have had the lead. And he would have killed it, and sold it.

The Nest character was way out of place too. Sorry... 16 year old females don't kick ass in any way.

Anthony Ingruber should have had the lead. And he would have killed it, and sold it.

The Nest character was way out of place too. Sorry... 16 year old females don't kick ass in any way.

That was kind of what just didn’t sit right for me either. I had no problem with it being a woman, but when the helmet came off and it was practically a child, that’s when any believability of this big bad gang of pirates went out the window for me. Granted all the action happened before that but it made it seem like it was a farce. Maybe Ron was subverting my expectations too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's still my problem with it,I look at the clips and trailers and I can't see Han,if you didn't know it was about him and saw Alden you'd say "Star Wars? Cool!'S WHO'S he supposed to be?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back