Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

It's crazy long. Ain't nobody got time for that. I'm too busy arguing about NOW movies.

I don't really care who's in charge, as long as the result is better, or at least good, Star Wars movies.

It occurs to me.. Wasn't Kennedy Lucas' choice to replace him? Maybe it was a plan to redeem the prequels by appointing someone who was sure to do worse:lol

I could really care less who is in charge and until I hear an official statement from Disney or Lucas Film about her stepping down it is going to be Kennedy. I don't understand how we got 9 pages out of something that is just speculation and fanboy's being upset because they don't like anything since ESB.

Right! I mean the third Star Wars trilogy has bren taken over by Disney using a completely new, unique formula.

You see, an untrained orphan/outcast saves the day.

Disney's *never* done anything like that before. *wink*

He only poked his head out for a second. That is a far cry from whales who can swim/fly in hyperspace.

Certain liberties with science (as we know it) are made in Star Wars, like the sound of explosions in space, etc. But when people like Filoni push the envelop so far, it strains credulity to the point of breaking--to the point of absurdity--to the point of yanking us out of the fantasy. Someone with a high-SWIQ doesn't let this happen. Filoni did. Maybe he'd be more serious-minded with a live-action feature. But maybe not.
You know what is great about filoni? He understands how special star wars is.

He knows that it's an epic space opera with fantastical fairy tale elements. He knows the motifs and the architecture needed to build it.

Whereas the films all seem to be cynical gritty meta-narratives made for adult fans.

Why do we need a "war" movie? Both of the standalone movies have looked and felt like saving Private ryan

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

You know what is great about filoni? He understands how special star wars is.

He knows that it's an epic space opera with fantastical fairy tale elements. He knows the motifs and the architecture needed to build it.

Whereas the films all seem to be cynical gritty meta-narratives made for adult fans.

Why do we need a "war" movie? Both of the standalone movies have looked and felt like saving Private ryan

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

No...no they didn't.

No one watches Rogue 1 or Solo and comes away feeling it was anything but a movie in the star wars style. They flat out were not war movies. Solo had a nice war element for a couple minutes, but that does not make it a war movie.

I like rogue one, but they abandonned the war movie theme. It was a standard star wars movie with the difference being they killed off the stars in the end. That, does not make it a war movie.

Soooo...

Space slugs are not acceptable? Why not? They *are* after all SPACE Slugs. So, no, they dont require atmosphere. The had gas when inside them (fog), and for them to be living, they generate heat. And you dont like the asteroid it lived on? It was pretty big, it was specifically picked out because of its size. So, what was the asteroid's mass? What was it composed of? In other words, your argument that it was a flaw is desperation. You dont like hyperspace whales? Hmmm

Yet you are perectly happy, in fact loved the Leia Poppins scene.

Your one falsely percieved flaw spoils ESB, but an overwhelming avalanche of flaws in TLJ are overlooked.

You are trying wayyyyy to hard to justify crap.

I wont spend my money on crap.

You like crap, good for you! But you wont convince me. ;)

As I said before, TLJ was dumb. It truly was an experiment to see how dumb of a movie would people tolerate. Scarier yet, love and defend.

Soooo...

Space slugs are not acceptable? Why not? They *are* after all SPACE Slugs. So, no, they dont require atmosphere. The had gas when inside them (fog), and for them to be living, they generate heat. And you dont like the asteroid it lived on? It was pretty big, it was specifically picked out because of its size. So, what was the asteroid's mass? What was it composed of? In other words, your argument that it was a flaw is desperation. You dont like hyperspace whales? Hmmm

Yet you are perectly happy, in fact loved the Leia Poppins scene.

Your one falsely percieved flaw spoils ESB, but an overwhelming avalanche of flaws in TLJ are overlooked.

You are trying wayyyyy to hard to justify crap.

I wont spend my money on crap.

You like crap, good for you! But you wont convince me. ;)

As I said before, TLJ was dumb. It truly was an experiment to see how dumb of a movie would people tolerate. Scarier yet, love and defend.

I'm confused as to who you are addressing here.

I am addressing the selective use of standards and how people apply them to excuse what KK has done to the Star Wars franchise. Moreover, why her termination would be a good thing for people who are true Star Wars fans.

TLJ was objectively crap. Like walking up to poop on the lawn and being able to identify it as poop. People use the Space slug from ESB or asteroid size or hyperspace whales as blanket reasons to excuse what KK is doing...no, it isnt. Not by a long shot. And the box office revenue boycott supports my claim.

I am not attacking you, The Wook, but I am pointing out how you may agree with someone about an eyeroll moment in the original trilogy doesnt magically excuse TLJ, but people who loved TLJ will use your honesty to justify their hyposcrisy.

^^I can't really work out where this is coming from, either.

The 'space whales" thing was mentioned by The Wook as an example of something in Dave Filoni's work that he didn't think made sense. It wasn't being used to excuse anything in TLJ. I think you got a wire crossed there, someplace.

The Wook--and mostly everyone else here--despise TLJ, and would likely agree with what you are saying, JPH. I don't imagine you could find yourself in closer company if finding more people who hate on TLJ is what you're after.

I am not one of those, but that doesn't matter.

It is pretty straightforward. People who like TLJ, do not apply their standards equally when criticising other Star Wars movies to justify TLJ. This thread is full of false comparissons!

To me, TheWook was being honest. If you dont like space slugs, so be it. You dont find them credible, okay. But TlJ was a continuous slap in the face over what an audience would tolerate.

It starts with the opening crawl talking about "brave rebels" running away and it just goes downhill from there.

I am addressing the selective use of standards and how people apply them to excuse what KK has done to the Star Wars franchise. Moreover, why her termination would be a good thing for people who are true Star Wars fans.

TLJ was objectively crap. Like walking up to poop on the lawn and being able to identify it as poop. People use the Space slug from ESB or asteroid size or hyperspace whales as blanket reasons to excuse what KK is doing...no, it isnt. Not by a long shot. And the box office revenue boycott supports my claim.

I am not attacking you, The Wook, but I am pointing out how you may agree with someone about an eyeroll moment in the original trilogy doesnt magically excuse TLJ, but people who loved TLJ will use your honesty to justify their hyposcrisy.

Gotcha.

ESB space slug: only pokes his head out for a second, so it's plausible enough that he could live inside that asteroid--which was undoubtedly a part of a much larger celestial body before breaking off.

SOLO space octopus: ridiculous! It lives in space with no atmosphere!

REBELS space whales: BEYOND ridiculous!!!!!! They live in space and fly so fast that they can make .5 past light speed!

When watching Star Wars films, we need to suspend our disbelief to an extent, for the sake of the story and the environments in which it is told. But ONLY TO AN EXTENT. A high-SWIQ filmmaker/TVmaker knows these limits. Low-SWIQ filmmakers/TV makers like Ron Howard and Dave Filoni do not.

The Wook

The irony there is every few years scientists find things living in the ocean they thought were not possible. You can go back as far as you like, but in just crass generalizations, they couldn't possibly survive without light, couldn't possibly survive the pressures, couldn't possibly survive the temperatures, etc, etc, only to find things that do every one of them.

Hawking predicted the most likely lifeform to encounter would be silicon based (IIRC) which is something people at another time thought was impossible.

Just look at a photo from the hubble. There are more galaxies out there that we can put a number on. Each having millions, billlions, or trillions of planets. To say the Octopus couldn't exist or the whales is ridiculous. (for what it's worth the octopus lived in essentially a gas cloud which had entities crashing like icebergs falling into the ocean - and which incidentally could have destroyed the ship in multiple ways. So it had an enviroment outside of generic space to reside in.

One of the best star trek movies was IV where the premise was an alien entity (we never saw a race) was going to destroy the earth because they couldn't detect whale song from another system.

To try an call that out over implausibility is lazy.

There are things to take issue with but those aren't on the list. If you want to really nitpick, though, the slug would likely be the one to take a shot at. Not it's existence, though. The Falcon flies down it's throat (and never figures it out) and lands in it's stomach. The asteroid isn't big enough to have a strong gravity field, not close to that of the moon (which is 1/6 of the earth), yet they all walk around just find - in the slugs stomach. In all biology we know, the stomach is full of acids that would have eaten into their shoes after a couple steps. Yet they walk around the whole time with no ill effects. And mynocks (supposedly scavenger birds) live in it's stomach? Maybe more importantly, has does the thing survive on a dead rock in an asteroid field when there's no source of food - other than, space and rock?

Maybe there'd be a real point if any of the scenes lasted more than .1% of the story. They don't.

Gotcha.

ESB space slug: only pokes his head out for a second, so it's plausible enough that he could live inside that asteroid--which was undoubtedly a part of a much larger celestial body before breaking off.

SOLO space octopus: ridiculous! It lives in space with no atmosphere!

REBELS space whales: BEYOND ridiculous!!!!!! They live in space and fly so fast that they can make .5 past light speed!

When watching Star Wars films, we need to suspend our disbelief to an extent, for the sake of the story and the environments in which it is told. But ONLY TO AN EXTENT. A high-SWIQ filmmaker/TVmaker knows these limits. Low-SWIQ filmmakers/TV makers like Ron Howard and Dave Filoni do not.

The Wook

George Lucas literally taught Dave Filoni about what was and wasn't Star Wars. I think his SWIQ is probably fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back