Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

I was talking about the overwhelming majority of people who disliked TLJ because they thought it was a bad movie as opposed to the very few who saw it as "forced diversification" in "their" movies. Get it straight.

Sorry I misread the context.

What I'd be curious to know. Is how many people were big fans of the post-ROTJ EU that disliked TLJ, versus people that didn't care much for the post-ROTJ EU that disliked TLJ.

I'm pretty sure one of ther reasons I like the sequel trilogy is because I never liked any of the post-ROTJ stuff, with the exception of Kyle Katarn and the Jedi Knight games.

This was a pretty good watch.
If you actually comprehend what this guy is saying from a philosophical viewpoint, this is a brilliant video/argument. Perhaps one of the very best if not the best related to this subject matter?

Last edited by a moderator:

What I'd be curious to know. Is how many people were big fans of the post-ROTJ EU that disliked TLJ, versus people that didn't care much for the post-ROTJ EU that disliked TLJ.

I'm pretty sure one of ther reasons I like the sequel trilogy is because I never liked any of the post-ROTJ stuff, with the exception of Kyle Katarn and the Jedi Knight games.

I've read A LOT of the post Jedi EU. My Star Wars library is quite extensive, but even I will admit that there is a ton of garbage in those pages. Even the vaunted Thrawn trilogy has some major stinkers in it. The Wookiee with a speech impediment to make him speak basic, for example. Come on, Zahn, you could do better than that.

The EU is largely hit and miss, and much like an OT Stormtrooper as our heroes escape the Death Star, mostly miss.

There isn't much from the EU I wanted to see canonized as a movie, except Thrawn, whom we got back in Rebels and books. To see him on screen would be great, I've mind casted Jason Isaacs or John Hamm for the role, but without making a movie between Jedi and TFA, I don't see it happening.

So I'm one who isn't a fan of the Post Jedi EU, and also not a fan of TLJ.

I read the Heir to the empire series and that's it. The EU never interested me. I really liked TFA, and R1 was good. Hate TLJ.

Never read any of the EU.

Still hated TLJ.

Still have questions?
Here's your Answer:
TLJ is awful. It sucks. It's dumb. It's stupid.
Period.

(Obligatory Opinion Qualifier)(TM)(R)

- - - Updated - - -

You just can't accept that it's a bad movie, can you?

There must be another reason people don't like it....

Keep looking for that murderer, OJ...
He's on this golf course somewhere...

Last edited by a moderator:

Another perfect example of something better discussed in an entirely separate thread, just like the other twenty things.

I think TLJ must be like one of those optical illusion things,...one sees a blue dress with black, the other sees a white dress with gold....The folks who enjoyed the film cannot understand why the others can't see the brilliance of the film.

BUT the main thing....there is division,....& Rian Johnson is renowned for creating TV or films which polarises audiences,....I can't imagine that this is what Disney/LFL & KK had in mind....far to risky,....especially when you watch the other Disney LFL films....they were made with the SW Fans in mind,....maybe a little too much in some cases

Look how long we have been going on about this damn film.....& it's still a hot topic on YouTube,...meanwhile other films BR 2049, The Marvel films etc, have their threads & fall away......the many TLJ threads just float to the top & repeat conversations over & over,...so no matter what....there is something seriously wrong with this film,...whether you can see it or not

J

I've read A LOT of the post Jedi EU. My Star Wars library is quite extensive, but even I will admit that there is a ton of garbage in those pages. Even the vaunted Thrawn trilogy has some major stinkers in it. The Wookiee with a speech impediment to make him speak basic, for example. Come on, Zahn, you could do better than that.

The EU is largely hit and miss, and much like an OT Stormtrooper as our heroes escape the Death Star, mostly miss.

There isn't much from the EU I wanted to see canonized as a movie, except Thrawn, whom we got back in Rebels and books. To see him on screen would be great, I've mind casted Jason Isaacs or John Hamm for the role, but without making a movie between Jedi and TFA, I don't see it happening.

So I'm one who isn't a fan of the Post Jedi EU, and also not a fan of TLJ.

RE: the Wookiee with the speech impediment... I never got the impression that he was speaking Basic, but that the impediment caused some change to the way he spoke Shyriiwook that made it easier for Leia to understand. Maybe some frequency element she couldn't hear when Chewie and other wookiees spoke and moving it up a notch or two into something she can comprehend?

I'm pretty sure many of my issues with TLJ stem from the better parts of the EU, personally.

Last edited:

I think TLJ must be like one of those optical illusion things,...one sees a blue dress with black, the other sees a white dress with gold....The folks who enjoyed the film cannot understand why the others can't see the brilliance of the film.

BUT the main thing....there is division,....& Rian Johnson is renowned for creating TV or films which polarises audiences,....I can't imagine that this is what Disney/LFL & KK had in mind....far to risky,....especially when you watch the other Disney LFL films....they were made with the SW Fans in mind,....maybe a little too much in some cases

Look how long we have been going on about this damn film.....& it's still a hot topic on YouTube,...meanwhile other films BR 2049, The Marvel films etc, have their threads & fall away......the many TLJ threads just float to the top & repeat conversations over & over,...so no matter what....there is something seriously wrong with this film,...whether you can see it or not

J

Yep! It’s broken

RE: the Wookiee with the speech impediment... I never got the impression that he was speaking Basic, but that the impediment caused some change to the way he spoke Shyriiwook that made it easier for Leia to understand. Maybe some frequency element she couldn't hear when Chewie and other wookiees spoke and moving it up a notch or two into something she can comprehend?

I'm pretty sure many of my issues with TLJ stem from the better parts of the EU, personally.

I don't exactly recall how it was described, but I do distinctly remember the term speech impediment was used. It bugged me when I first read it, it bugged me when I last read it, and I wanted to shove an ice pick into my eardrum when I listened to the audio book.

A simple throw away line explaining how, in the ten years she's known Chewbacca, along with Threpio, she learned the rudiments of the language. Bam, done, she can now get along smashingly on Kashyyyk without the need for a translator.

But that's way off topic.

J

And even I, who liked the film. Would say it's a stretch to call it brilliant. It had its moments of brilliance. But the film lacks focus and has too many little visual effects hiccups.

As was said upthread, while I've read nearly all of the old EU -- including the newspaper strips, young-readers stuff, and ancillary fiction in the Insider, Star Wars Adventure Journal, Star Wars Galaxy, and so on, played most of the PC, console, and role-playing games... There's a lot of stuff in there that's... not good.

I've found (IMO) that most of the stuff that works is from before and peripheral to the film period. After the Battle of Endor, it was like no one knew what to do. There were so many repetitions of the same themes -- something threatening the Solo kids, a superweapon or Imperial warlord of the week, repeated callbacks to bits from the movies to make sure we got that it was Star Wars.

There were good offerings in that era, too, though. I simply love Tatooine Ghost and Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor, for instance. I like a lot of what Karen Traviss did with Boba Fett and Mandalorians in general in her three Legacy of the Force books (and I like Aaron Allston's three in that arc, too, but Troy Denning's aren't worth the paper they're printed on).

But more than any other era of the EU, there were a lot of problems in the post-ROTJ period. One of the things I actually love about the new canon is how they're adopting what is appearing more and more to be a "certain point of view" approach. Luke is teaching a relative named Ben, but it's his nephew, not his son. Han and Leia do have a kid, but it's not what we are familiar with. There is a young Jedi (and probable student of Luke's) named Jacen, who I can see them setting up to have become one of the Knights of Ren. If so, then just as in the EU, Jacen will have fallen to the Dark Side. Rey sure seems to be filling the role of Jaina, even though she's not (so far as we know) related to the principals of the prior films...

I can see the post-ROTJ EU as it was being a sort of "retellings of retellings of past events", where things get mushed together or switched around. "So Luke Skywalker was teaching a young Jedi named Ben, who was related to him somehow..." "Well, he was the one who knew Ben Kenobi growing up. Could it have been his son?" "That makes sense, but who was Ben's mother?" "Well, there was this Force-adept smuggler chick he spent a lot of time with. Maybe they hooked up. What was her name again? Mary something?" "Hey, didn't his sister have kids or something? You know, with Han?" "I think so. Wasn't it that Jacen guy who turned bad?" "That sounds right. Wasn't there, like, his sister or something who took him out at the end?"

And so on. Happens all the time. Heck, at the risk of dragging religion into things, look at the mixed up interpretations we have of text that's there in black and white about stuff that happened only a couple thousand years ago. It's been "known" for a few hundred years that there were three magi -- they've even been given names -- despite the original text not specifying a number (or names). It's been dogma for ages that Mary Magdalene was the prostitute who washed *****' feet, even though they're separate individuals in the actual text. It's pretty much a trusim that when there is more than one brain involved, miscommunications and miscomprehensions will occur.

Kyle's tricky. About half of his story is pre-ROTJ. A lot of that could still be in, from a certain point of view, unless and until specifically overwritten. At least some of his post-ROTJ story dovetails with what the new canon has shown us so far, as well. Further out we go, though, the more little problems creep in. Was Luke the sole instructor at his Academy? Might Kyle have been a student of his? Might Kyle have been an earlier student and already "graduated" by the time things went down with Ben? We'll just have to wait and find out.

That's honestly been one of the fun parts of this new era for me -- playing "spot the Legends" in new-canon material. Everything from the reference to the Hundred-Year Darkness in the new Marvel comics to Solo making Coronet City, Corellian Engineering Corporation, and YT-1300 all canon. I'm looking forward to seeing what else makes it in, and in what form(s).

As was said upthread, while I've read nearly all of the old EU -- including the newspaper strips, young-readers stuff, and ancillary fiction in the Insider, Star Wars Adventure Journal, Star Wars Galaxy, and so on, played most of the PC, console, and role-playing games... There's a lot of stuff in there that's... not good.

I've found (IMO) that most of the stuff that works is from before and peripheral to the film period. After the Battle of Endor, it was like no one knew what to do. There were so many repetitions of the same themes -- something threatening the Solo kids, a superweapon or Imperial warlord of the week, repeated callbacks to bits from the movies to make sure we got that it was Star Wars.

There were good offerings in that era, too, though. I simply love Tatooine Ghost and Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor, for instance. I like a lot of what Karen Traviss did with Boba Fett and Mandalorians in general in her three Legacy of the Force books (and I like Aaron Allston's three in that arc, too, but Troy Denning's aren't worth the paper they're printed on).

But more than any other era of the EU, there were a lot of problems in the post-ROTJ period. One of the things I actually love about the new canon is how they're adopting what is appearing more and more to be a "certain point of view" approach. Luke is teaching a relative named Ben, but it's his nephew, not his son. Han and Leia do have a kid, but it's not what we are familiar with. There is a young Jedi (and probable student of Luke's) named Jacen, who I can see them setting up to have become one of the Knights of Ren. If so, then just as in the EU, Jacen will have fallen to the Dark Side. Rey sure seems to be filling the role of Jaina, even though she's not (so far as we know) related to the principals of the prior films...

I can see the post-ROTJ EU as it was being a sort of "retellings of retellings of past events", where things get mushed together or switched around. "So Luke Skywalker was teaching a young Jedi named Ben, who was related to him somehow..." "Well, he was the one who knew Ben Kenobi growing up. Could it have been his son?" "That makes sense, but who was Ben's mother?" "Well, there was this Force-adept smuggler chick he spent a lot of time with. Maybe they hooked up. What was her name again? Mary something?" "Hey, didn't his sister have kids or something? You know, with Han?" "I think so. Wasn't it that Jacen guy who turned bad?" "That sounds right. Wasn't there, like, his sister or something who took him out at the end?"

And so on. Happens all the time. Heck, at the risk of dragging religion into things, look at the mixed up interpretations we have of text that's there in black and white about stuff that happened only a couple thousand years ago. It's been "known" for a few hundred years that there were three magi -- they've even been given names -- despite the original text not specifying a number (or names). It's been dogma for ages that Mary Magdalene was the prostitute who washed *****' feet, even though they're separate individuals in the actual text. It's pretty much a trusim that when there is more than one brain involved, miscommunications and miscomprehensions will occur.

Kyle's tricky. About half of his story is pre-ROTJ. A lot of that could still be in, from a certain point of view, unless and until specifically overwritten. At least some of his post-ROTJ story dovetails with what the new canon has shown us so far, as well. Further out we go, though, the more little problems creep in. Was Luke the sole instructor at his Academy? Might Kyle have been a student of his? Might Kyle have been an earlier student and already "graduated" by the time things went down with Ben? We'll just have to wait and find out.

That's honestly been one of the fun parts of this new era for me -- playing "spot the Legends" in new-canon material. Everything from the reference to the Hundred-Year Darkness in the new Marvel comics to Solo making Coronet City, Corellian Engineering Corporation, and YT-1300 all canon. I'm looking forward to seeing what else makes it in, and in what form(s).

Something we need to remind people of when they start complaining about wanting Luke to this or Leia to that. What we are seeing is Luke and Han and Leia 30 years after ROTJ. 30 years is a fair chunk of time, and we've only scratched the surface.

I really hope Kyle makes it back in, in some form. Though Kyle would be problematic, what with him using both the Light and Dark Sides of the Force. I don't think Luke would allow that.
Maybe we could have Kyle take his little trip on the Dark Side, that results in cutting himself off from the Force. This could be shown to inspire Luke to do something similar later on.

One of the big reasons the EU had to go - aside from story quality, contradictions, etc, is the scope of it. There was A LOT. Canonizing all of that (when LFL said from the get go if sequels were made they weren't beholded to any of the EU) puts a HUGE onus on the viewer to learn all of what happened so they're up to date for E7. And, yeah, you probably don't need to know it all, but you'd have to know some. Toss the EU and everyone starts at the same spot to go forward.

If the options were trash the OT characters or jump a couple hundreds years (or more) into the future or past - they should have jumped. It's a poor choice to try and capitalize on the originals and then dispose of them all in the process.

Disney bought the rights, in no small part, due to the volume of and the passion of the existing fans. So to say they don't care about the fans is just kidding yourself. There's NOTHING wrong with wanting to bring in new fans. There is something wrong at bringing in the new at the expense of the old. And that's the way its reading to me as of this date. It didn't post TFA. We'll see how they address it going forward.

One of the big reasons the EU had to go - aside from story quality, contradictions, etc, is the scope of it. There was A LOT. Canonizing all of that (when LFL said from the get go if sequels were made they weren't beholded to any of the EU) puts a HUGE onus on the viewer to learn all of what happened so they're up to date for E7. And, yeah, you probably don't need to know it all, but you'd have to know some. Toss the EU and everyone starts at the same spot to go forward.

If the options were trash the OT characters or jump a couple hundreds years (or more) into the future or past - they should have jumped. It's a poor choice to try and capitalize on the originals and then dispose of them all in the process.

Disney bought the rights, in no small part, due to the volume of and the passion of the existing fans. So to say they don't care about the fans is just kidding yourself. There's NOTHING wrong with wanting to bring in new fans. There is something wrong at bringing in the new at the expense of the old. And that's the way its reading to me as of this date. It didn't post TFA. We'll see how they address it going forward.

I just thought of a interesting question. Did Disney buy Star Wars? Or did George sell Star Wars? Who's idea was it, George's or Disney's?

George approached Disney. But they'd already been working together for a good thirty years, so it's entirely possible there was some back-room "Hey, if you're ever interested in selling..." overtures from Disney back in the '80s or '90s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back