Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

No—you are not alone brother.

Let the OT Rest In unsequelized / unprequelized Peace instead of being desecrated.

Okay, I'm going to say this. Past times I've typed these words out, I've chickened out and not post this. I know I'm going to get roasted for even asking this: Am I the only one who feels they should just leave Star Wars alone and let it die peacefully?

Last edited:

Okay, I'm going to say this. Past times I've typed these words out, I've chickened out and not post this. I know I'm going to get roasted for even asking this: Am I the only one who feels they should just leave Star Wars alone and let it die peacefully?

Sometimes I feel this way too. But I think if they get their crap together then we could possibly see some pretty damn good movies.
I just watched Black Panther and Wonder Woman for the first time this past week and damn those are some good movies. Good movies are being made, it's just not with SW (although I did end up really liking TFA).

I’m with you too. To me the same applies to Predator, Terminator, Alien, Robocop, etc.
Star Wars is just not there, there’s only so much you can do with the spacewizards/destiny/good vs evil fairy tale mould before it loses being Star Wars. To this day I have no idea how they want to continuously squeeze out movies from this.

You are not alone in feeling that way. As much as I love the OT, to me that is really the only story that matters. Everything else is just filler, most of which has been mediocre at best. Even George Lucas couldn't recapture the magic of his own creation when he made the prequels. Why anyone else thinks they can if the creator himself couldn't is beyond me. There are several reasons for this which I have delved into ad nauseum so I won't bother repeating my points for the sake of brevity.

I've mostly enjoyed the ST. I've managed to find ways to enjoy the PT era. I liked Rogue One. I still haven't seen Solo.

To me, there is still infinite potential in Star Wars as a setting in which to tell fantastic stories. I think TLJ cleared the decks and gave the franchise the opportunity to not just reflexively reiterate the OT. I hope that Weiss and Benioff can make that a reality, along with Johnson. But we'll see.

The thing is, I know it's all gonna be ok, at least for me. There's enough Star Wars out there to keep me happy, even if Ep. IX is a huge disappointment. The franchise's continuation would be wonderful if it works, but if it doesn't...that's ok. I've been there already. I know how it goes. If Star Wars was shelved after Ep. IX, I'd be fine with it. The only thing I'd really clamor for is an archival version of the OOT that's been given the same kind of preservation/restoration treatment as the Bond series' early films were for blu-ray (or do it up at 8k or whatever). Everything after that is gravy.

On a COMPLETELY unrelated note, I don't know how many people here are tabletop RPG players, but in the past...hmm...year? 18 months? I've gotten into West End Games' Star Wars RPG on their D6 system. It's a terrific, fast-moving, non-crunchy system, there's a TON of sourcebook material out there (some good, some....not), and if you really dig the old EU, a ton of the sourcebook material covers that stuff. It's also a fantastic avenue to create and participate in your own Star Wars stories, all within the framework of the established Star Wars universe (or at least one version of it). The best part is that you can pick and choose whatever materials you want to include. So, if you think the stuff from Truce at Bakura was just kinda dumb, you can ignore it. Don't incorporate it into your campaign. If you want to run a smuggler-driven campaign a la Firefly, you can do it. There's a supplement (three, actually, that I can think of) for that. I'm finding it's a great way to get a Star Wars fix exactly the way you want it (albeit, not on the big screen). If anyone's curious about it, give a yell and I can point you to some resources.

I'm glad they're slowing down. I was all for the ST coming out quickly. Mainly because of the age of the actors. And Carrie's untimely passing, made it all the more apparent to me that they were filming on very finite time schedule. And while they could have written out characters who's actors had died. I was, and am, very concerned that John Williams could pass before the saga is finished. I can't imagine watching one of the saga films with out my ears being graced by John's themes. Love it or hate it, TLJ has one of the best scores of the entire saga.

Despite the prequels being bad John Williams scores are flawless and fit perfectly with the OT. Other than perhaps two songs/themes in TFA his work on the ST has been unnoticeable. Which is a shame because even with bad films, if the scores were memorable then at least I could get the soundtracks. I can't think of a single bar of music that stood out in TLJ. I'm not sure what it is but his work on these is nowhere near what it used to be on the previous six films. I literally can't think if a single piece that I could recall later after having seen the movie. Nothing. It might as well have had no score at all. What a shame.

That hurts my soul to read! I have by no means exhaustively studied the scores, but I own and have listened to them several times. The themes for Rey and Kylo don't seem as 'hummable' as OT themes, if that is to be any kind of qualification, but they're both excellent in their own right and have definitely grown on me. The Canto Bight music stands out to my brain the most as far as new music in TLJ goes, and I'll admit it's not my favorite piece. But, lots of old themes pop up in TLJ. He references the TIE fighter attack during the scene where the falcon flies through the caverns on Crait. The Jedi Steps from the end of TFA makes a reappearance at the start of the movie also, not to mention the Binary Sunset cue at the end.
Both soundtracks are pretty stellar imo, especially after several listens. YMMV, of course.

Meanwhile, I adore the Solo score more than TFA and TLJ and Rogue One. A lot in there I find quite hummable. And one thing I'd love to see get incorporated at some point is the original "Binary Sunset" cue...

Last edited by a moderator:

Despite the prequels being bad John Williams scores are flawless and fit perfectly with the OT. Other than perhaps two songs/themes in TFA his work on the ST has been unnoticeable. Which is a shame because even with bad films, if the scores were memorable then at least I could get the soundtracks. I can't think of a single bar of music that stood out in TLJ. I'm not sure what it is but his work on these is nowhere near what it used to be on the previous six films. I literally can't think if a single piece that I could recall later after having seen the movie. Nothing. It might as well have had no score at all. What a shame.

I'm going to say, I think your biased towards TLJ has hurt your listening experience.

I did some completely unusual for TLJ. I began listening the soundtrack a week before I saw the film. And while it spoiled the return of Yoda for me, it was a very unique experience.

Somethings really stood out for me. The overall tone, felt more somber, reminding me of a lot of ROTS. Rey's theme and the March of the Resistance felt they had more depth and fullness to them. And the new themes for Luke and Rey, and for Rose and Finn, were incredibly memorable, and constantly find myself whistling one of them. The new musical cues for the Resistance bombers and the one for Holdo's maneuver were pure musical gold for me. Everything after Luke shows up on Crait, and of course the reuse of the TIE Fighter attack from ANH, one of my favorite pieces, ever.

Meanwhile, I adore the Solo score more than TFA and TLJ and Rogue One. A lot in there I find quite hummable. And one thing I'd love to see get incorporated at some point is the original "Binary Sunset" cue...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYXLmHmTrzU

One of the most interesting things about TLJ score. Rian didn't temp track the film, which isn't done much. And is I think a first for Star Wars.

While it's no surprise that I detest this film I've had the opportunity to listen to the soundtrack to The Last Jedi by itself and still nothing stood out as being all that memorable. It's not bad, it just doesn't grab me.

The only themes that stood out to me from the TFA soundtrack were Rey's theme, March of the Resistance, and The Jedi Steps at the end of the film. Other than that the TFA score was fairly bland and seemed drowned out by most of the sound effects and dialog in the movie itself. It didn't sound much different than a generic score for any other movie which is a shame because John WIlliams music is so distinct. Typically with William's scores I don't have to sit and really dig into them to pull out the nuances and beauty in the music. While the music for the ST isn't bad (Williams seems incapable of making bad music in my opinion) what I am arguing is that it's simply not memorable.

Same here, although I thought the music was pretty bland in TFA when I saw it in theatres but listening to the album, there are a few really good tracks and new themes. Maybe the mix was not right in the film, I dunno, it does take some time for the soundtrack to sink in usually unless it's Halloween. I gave the TLJ soundtrack a few spins for this very reason but haven't really found anything that wasn't there before either in TFA or the OT. Nothing substantial at least.

But, lots of old themes pop up in TLJ. He references the TIE fighter attack during the scene where the falcon flies through the caverns on Crait. The Jedi Steps from the end of TFA makes a reappearance at the start of the movie also, not to mention the Binary Sunset cue at the end.
Both soundtracks are pretty stellar imo, especially after several listens. YMMV, of course.
So basically what's good in the TLJ soundtrack is what's already been done...?
I'm not bashing the music to give the movie another kick, I disregard the prequels as a whole but I still added quite a few tracks from that to my SW playlist. But I didn't find anything really worthwile in that soundtrack either. I was actually genuinely disappointed to hear the Emperor's theme when Snoke was torturing Rey for example. I remember thinking to myself at the theatre "surely you could have come up with something new here, Mr Williams".

I've noticed that most Star Wars fans hold the OT as the gold standard. But I have friends who I recently introduced to Star Wars, and while I started them with OT. They all prefer the PT or ST, movies, music, characters and so on.

So when I hear people lamenting, that 'it's not as good as the OT'. Of course it's not, and it never will. The new films will never ever give you that same experience or feeling you got watching the originals. Dare I say, it's scientifically impossible. And keep in mind for those out there who are being introduced to Star Wars with the Sequel trilogy. That is going to be their gold standard. That will be the Star Wars that they compare all else to.

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant so long as you ignore the first half of my post :lol
True, I forgot you mentioned the lounge music of Canto Bight in relation to TLJ. :lol
Which actually is a fun spaced out track. But sounds like bringing Lapti Nek as a standout from ROTJ.
I do actually like the new themes, Rey’s Kylo’s, Resistance march, but what were new themes in TLJ that were not reworks of previous ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back