Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

It's an edited down interview that doesn't provide much context. The channel posting it doesn't reference where or when it was given, it's been mirrored and filtered with B&W to get around YouTube's copyright infringement program. On top of that the video is monitized with outside ads then has pop up t-shirt ads for anti-new SW shirts. Looks like more people without a real job trying to make money off the devision of SW fans and unlicensed merch.
I didn't hear anything shocking or bad about SW or her approach to it.

It's an edited down interview that doesn't provide much context. The channel posting it doesn't reference where or when it was given, it's been mirrored and filtered with B&W to get around YouTube's copyright infringement program. On top of that the video is monitized with outside ads then has pop up t-shirt ads for anti-new SW shirts. Looks like more people without a real job trying to make money off the devision of SW fans and unlicensed merch.

I think it kind of fits into this mentality: http://comicbook.com/starwars/2018/04/04/star-wars-rian-johnson-new-trilogy-diversity-filmmakers/

That's what I'm talking about. When it starts like that from the top at LucasFilm, I can assure you that mindset trickles into the movies.

It has been referred to as an "acidic " place to be by another famous director.

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-9-colin-trevorrow-lucasfilm-directors/

When you have a high rate of turn around in any organization or business, its because there is a fundamental issue with leadership. That's pretty much business leadership 101.

I didnt watch the video as I basically cant sit through anything Kennedy has to say anymore apart from her upcoming farewell speech but whats wrong all of a sudden with someone making a buck out of something people are interested in? Collider and the like dont do it for free and they are famous for stuff like predicting a $700 million take for Solo and saying that any large backlash from fans over TLJ was an outright lie.

My favourite anti Disney Star Wars channel is actually run by a guy who makes a substantial living from his artistic skills and just raised a half a million for his new comic book release.

Heavily edited interviews that are from an undisclosed time and place are hardly insightful. The pieces of the interview shown seem to be her discussing women's low representation in the industry and her personal experiences in that regard. The impression I got from the editing choices was to present her as someone focused on gender. The few comments I read reenforced this to the degree of her being an ultra feminist inserting an agenda into Star Wars. It's hard to take videos like this as real information when the YouTube poster doesn't present it in it's full context or even have the courtesy to put a link or any information about where to find the full interview in the video description.

As a YouTuber I've learned the hard way about copyright infringement policies on YouTube. None of my videos are monitized by me because of copyrighted music and video clips that are included. There are ways to get around the recognition program like mirroring or filtering but I chose to either re-edit or seek the permission of the copyright holder in order to get it posted.

The issue I have with this particular video:
That interview is likely owned by someone else, the channel owner has used digital trickery to post it make money off it and promote sales of merchandise. While the about section of the channel claims thier purpose is to create a dialogue and reunite SW fans, it seems clear it's about self promotion and making money off of other people's hard work.

Personally I think KK should be removed from LFL, not because of a perceived agenda but because she allowed extremely poor business decisions to be made that lowered the overall revenue potential of the SW brand.

Heavily edited interviews that are from an undisclosed time and place are hardly insightful. The pieces of the interview shown seem to be her discussing women's low representation in the industry and her personal experiences in that regard. The impression I got from the editing choices was to present her as someone focused on gender. The few comments I read reenforced this to the degree of her being an ultra feminist inserting an agenda into Star Wars. It's hard to take videos like this as real information when the YouTube poster doesn't present it in it's full context or even have the courtesy to put a link or any information about where to find the full interview in the video description.

As a YouTuber I've learned the hard way about copyright infringement policies on YouTube. None of my videos are monitized by me because of copyrighted music and video clips that are included. There are ways to get around the recognition program like mirroring or filtering but I chose to either re-edit or seek the permission of the copyright holder in order to get it posted.

The issue I have with this particular video:
That interview is likely owned by someone else, the channel owner has used digital trickery to post it make money off it and promote sales of merchandise. While the about section of the channel claims thier purpose is to create a dialogue and reunite SW fans, it seems clear it's about self promotion and making money off of other people's hard work.

Personally I think KK should be removed from LFL, not because of a perceived agenda but because she allowed extremely poor business decisions to be made that lowered the overall revenue potential of the SW brand.

Her leadership skills (business sense) are terrible. At least in my opinion. She has executed extremely poor choices and keeps people employed at LFL who are problem children that antagonize disappointed fans. Which like the movie or not, is not smart to do. I've posted plenty of photographic evidence coming from people either employed directly or through contract with LFL who have done this (directors, book authors, website editors, etc).

Anybody with half a concept of customer service would boot these people out the door for conduct unbecoming. I cited ArenaNet and Jessica Price as a prime example of doing things the right way. Applause to Area-net for having business integrity.

Last edited:
Reactions: JPH

I

My favourite anti Disney Star Wars channel is actually run by a guy who makes a substantial living from his artistic skills and just raised a half a million for his new comic book release.

May I ask what comic?

May I ask what comic?

Cyberfrog: Blood Honey. The Artist mentioned is Ethan Van Sciver. He is bringing back one of his first comic book projects before working for Marvel and DC (Cyberfrog). He operates under the name/pseudonym ComicArtistProSecrets. His comic is 100% crowd funded. He used to do big time art for Marvel and DC (25 years experience in the industry). He has subsequently left the comic book industry because of woke politics (See Comicsgate). He is now going his own route and making money (creating quality comics) and establishing a new paradigm (free market lacking instituted agendas) in the industry and has developed a very large following for a "lowly comic book artist." He has roughly 70,410 subscribers and has made approximately $512k raised by over 8.1k backers, totaling 7,999 units sold spread across the various purchase packages he has available.

Hopefully this is not offensive in any way, to anybody? I'm merely giving EVS's/Cyberfrog's historical context.

Last edited:

When I first started watching him around four months ago he only had about 4000 subscribers and now as you pointed out, over 70,000. Guess theres a lot of people who feel the Disney era of Star Wars is utter garbage and the people who run it are absolutely incompetent.

Came across this the other day.

I got into trouble because… I was quoted as saying to Rian [Johnson] that I fundamentally disagree with everything you decided about Luke, and it was inartfully [sic] phrased. What I was, was surprised at how he saw Luke. And it took me a while to get around to his way of thinking, but once I was there it was a thrilling experience. I hope it will be for the audience too."

and this

He later disclosed he had similarly disputed the way the character was written in Return of the Jedi, revealing "I read [the script for] Jedi and thought, 'Wait a sec! I thought I was heading toward the struggle of heading to the Dark Side. I'm in black. I have a glove. I see a trend here.'

Last edited by a moderator:

When I first started watching him around four months ago he only had about 4000 subscribers and now as you pointed out, over 70,000. Guess theres a lot of people who feel the Disney era of Star Wars is utter garbage and the people who run it are absolutely incompetent.

He's one of a dozen channels like that. Each one of those channels have similar numbers or more. So...

If all the Star Wars fans who hated TLJ know exactly why they hated it, why do they need all these Youtube channels telling them why they should hate it?

If all the Star Wars fans who hated TLJ know exactly why they hated it, why do they need all these Youtube channels telling them why they should hate it?

It's more like people having a voice against a company who says only a certain type of person dislikes their movies. These channels cropped up to show that's a fallacy.

Its good, cheap therapy and the guy talked about here actually is very funny and writes little songs on his casio keyboard and also gives comic drawing lessons, kind of a tv show format.

Yes, but remember before the internet when people had to form their own opinions?

So, with Kennedy on the official cast release as producer for Ep IX can we stick a fork in this yet?

Alleged exit date is "supposed" to be next month. After next month you can officially consider it canned.

With Gunn being fired, couldnt help it, I wouldnt be surprised if any public release would be put back a little further than at first planned.

Maybe the reason could be that Lucasfilm, its employees, and a large part of the scifi media sites are calling ALL SW fans who didn't like TLJ racist and misogynist?

Oh and I don't buy any of Mark Hamill's back pedaling one bit. He plainly said it was not Luke Skywalker, but Jake Skywalker. You can't confuse that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back