Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

Right, even if he was just the guy that said, "Okay, here's how 7-9 will proceed, AND HERE'S THE TONE WE NEED TO MAINTAIN, he would have saved most of us a hell of a lot of grief.

Or rather, we'd be throwing Filoni under the bus instead of KK right now. SW fans are just the worst.

SB

True but you know the old adage, “You are only as good as your last box office”

Make no mistake the Mouse is gonna take a bath on this that it is not happy about.

Just how bad remains to be seen.

Gonna be interesting to see the Blu-ray et all sales on Solo

One flop is not getting KK fired. People forget that her flops are a fraction of her films given that she produced every Speilberg film since the mid 80s.

True but you know the old adage, “You are only as good as your last box office”

Make no mistake the Mouse is gonna take a bath on this that it is not happy about.

Just how bad remains to be seen.

Correct. Major shareholders only care about what the price is now and what it will be in the future, they couldnt give a tinkers cuss about the value years ago.

The old adage always applies, perception is everything.

I'm going to predict that sales for the SOLO DVD will out number TLJ by at least 2 to 1. Those who stayed away from SOLO in the theaters are more inclined to give it chance on the small screen as opposed to buying something they didn't like the first time around on the large screen.

Last edited:

The home market sales for Solo will be good I think but they wont be great. The same people who stayed away to send a message to Disney will still be unwilling to shell out any money. I`m going to wait for a friend to get one before I see it. Doubt it will be a long wait either, TLJ version went on sale real quick and this will be quicker.

My two cents on the franchise's future:

Lucas-era SW fans have been developing a bad case of "make it the same, but different" since Disney took over.

SW cannot survive and live on if ANH & ESB are perpetually the only worthy movies and the rest are crap.

Something else has to be good enough.
Something different has to belong in the franchise too.
Imitations/remakes can't always be off-limits when the original version is old enough to have gray hair.

I don't want things to always be the same, I want them to have respect for the lore and canon of the rest of the series and I want the series to have the same FEEL, but go off in new and interesting directions. Disney is not doing that. They're just copying what has already come before, while throwing out large chunks of canon and inserting SJW sensibilities, terrible acting and even worse writing. What Disney has done so far is just hyper-liberal Star Wars fanfic. That's not what I want to see.

The home market sales for Solo will be good I think but they wont be great. The same people who stayed away to send a message to Disney will still be unwilling to shell out any money. I`m going to wait for a friend to get one before I see it.

EDIT: I don't think the sales will be 5.8M units "good" like TFA was but it will DEF be better than the 1.9M units TLJ is currently posting.

Last edited:

I do not understand what the difference is here. We're supposed to avoid talking about politics, fine. Half of us are blaming politics for what isn't awesome with new Star Wars.
I feel like if I started railing against old Star Wars for being overly white and conservative I'd be getting reported left and right.

That being said, people who aren't white dudes should be represented in the world's best space opera franchise. The world is a big place and it's not all straight white guys.

Last edited:

I don't think that's true, at all. I think even kids today love Star Wars on its merits, and are not pretending to like it to please their parents. Star Wars (the OT story) is timeless and magical.

My kids have watched the original trilogy many times, both with us and on their own. They have seen a couple of the prequels, having been born in that era, and hated them. So far as I know, my oldest daughter hasn't watched any of the Disney movies and my youngest only sat through TLJ with us once because she wanted to know what her friends were talking about and her only response was "that sucked". These just are not good movies.

I don't want things to always be the same, I want them to have respect for the lore and canon of the rest of the series and I want the series to have the same FEEL, but go off in new and interesting directions. Disney is not doing that.

I think that is the biggest complaint / concern people have for the franchise. Our perceptions and view of life is radically different than it is when we're adults. Everything changes. Good / great movies CAN be made AND have the ability to make us feel like kids again. They can make us forget about a world ready and willing to beat us to our knees and keep us there permanently. That's what SW means to all of us.

Just tell a great story and make us feel like kids again... :)

Last edited:

That being said, people who aren't white dudes should be represented in the world's best space opera franchise. The world is a big place and it's not all straight white guys.

No, but it should be good actors and actresses who weren't hired solely because they weren't straight white guys. But we know that JJ Abrams did hire people for TFA specifically for that reason. He isn't taking the best actors and actresses he can find, he's taking the best non-white actors and actresses, only because they're not white.

That's racist and nobody wants to see that.

Right, even if he was just the guy that said, "Okay, here's how 7-9 will proceed, AND HERE'S THE TONE WE NEED TO MAINTAIN, he would have saved most of us a hell of a lot of grief.

Absolutely.

Hell, even if someone said, "We need to figure out the story of 7-9 BEFORE we make the first one," they'd be a step ahead

As I've said before, if Disney was smart, they would have hired a children's author to write the sequel trilogy. And THEN bring in a screen writer to work out the dialogue, so we'd be in a far better place.

No, but it should be good actors and actresses who weren't hired solely because they weren't straight white guys. But we know that JJ Abrams did hire people for TFA specifically for that reason. He isn't taking the best actors and actresses he can find, he's taking the best non-white actors and actresses, only because they're not white.

I literally cannot respond to this without looking and feeling like I'm personally attacking you, so I'm refraining.

I think even kids today love Star Wars on its merits, and are not pretending to like it to please their parents. Star Wars (the OT story) is timeless and magical.

Agreed, kids today definitely love Star Wars on its merits, but I'll posit that current kids don't see Luke or the OT as the center of the franchise in the way we did. Kids have been surrounded by video games, Clone Wars, Rebels, prequels, sequels. Kids learn on the playground in 1st grade that Anakin becomes Vader. It's all a big mix. Anakin, Ahsoka, Yoda, Luke, Lando, mechanical-legs Darth Maul, C-3PO, Rey... they're all peers of OT characters because they've all been given plenty of air time in different media. The LEGO Star Wars shows and games retell the saga in such a distinct way that kids see that as part of the canon, like the movies are just the serious version of the fun games they play. The LEGO Star Wars kid shows do countless irreverent crossovers, and basically all characters are completely interconnected through jokes or cameos.

---
Probably a better thread somewhere for this, but...

Random thoughts on the topic of the "Star Wars Cinematic Galaxy" vs. MCU, as someone who never got deep into the Expanded SW universe: In the Episode IV, the Star Wars universe is more or less devoid of exceptional people (super-powered "mutants" or whatever). The prequels explain that there was an abundance of exceptional people, who were basically all killed off. In Marvel's universe, anyone can be a mutant or have or acquire special powers, anywhere, any time. Marvel has endless opportunities in their universe.

Is there really any room to grow a franchise with Jedi-type characters in the current SWCG? If you set it in present day (sequel era), you could maybe start building a loose association of Force-sensitives (Rian seemed to be trying to end TLJ with that thought), or you could go way back in time (Old Republic), but it's just creating ancient history for what's ultimately a dead universe.

Anyway, the SWCG as it has been constructed is pretty arid ground to grow new Jedi/Force-sensitive characters. I think that's why the KK regime are eating themselves with endless callbacks to the OT and rehashing/connecting known characters.

Disney needs to come up with a major change the the SWCU if they want to make room for new armies of Jedi vs. Sith/whatever. I'd rather have a cataclysmic event that sets off a new series post EP9 with an abundance of Force-folks, instead of just grinding out a young, wisecracking Boba Fett/Dengar buddy movie. Actually I'd still probably watch that.

And how exactly do you know this for sure? Please cite an article or something where JJ says "I cast X because they are gay."
I would love for somebody who always plays the "just cast the right person" card to tell me exactly how they would know if the prson cast was or wasn't the right person for the job. This is NEVER said when a white dude is cast.

Maybe you KNOW this, but I never heard JJ say he was hiring based on race. I've got a long list of complaints about the ST but the actor's/character's race or gender doesn't factor in for me. Frankly I thought the worst performance was Carrie Fisher and I was really looking forward to seeing her as a Bad-Ass! I thought the acting was generally good. Although it was good I wouldn't say they were the BEST non-white performers, there's a ton of awesome non-white actors out there that aren't in Star Wars. We don't know who auditioned for what.
For the record I was shocked Darth Vader wasn't black when his helmet came off in ROTJ! ;)

Man....the sense of entitlement in this thread is um...palpable.

Where'd that thread go with that kid who wrote a diatribe about why girls are hurting SW? Oh yeah..it got deleted.

Honestly, the man-boys and the "let people like things" meme fans are both in the wrong. I don't think either of you know what you want. Half of you are stuck in the past and the other half just want everything to be hunky dory 100% of the time with no opposing opinions. I gotta love that people are asking Lucas to come back when you guys were ready to shackle him and throw away the key for the prequels. Whilst simultaneously ripping apart a sci-fi adventure flick like it's their psychology final.

I think this fandom needs a time out. Like a kid who's found the sugar stash, I think there's been too much SW's injected here.

Break off Star Wars and start a NEW Fandom!

*knocks on door carrying Blu-Ray's of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2*

"Have you heard about our Lord and Savior James James Gunn?"

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to predict that sales for the SOLO DVD will out number TLJ by at least 2 to 1. Those who stayed away from SOLO in the theaters are more inclined to give it chance on the small screen as opposed to buying something they didn't like the first time around on the large screen.

I want it on the *small* screen (technically, the distance of the TV from my couch, with the size of the TV, makes it bigger than a theater screen) JUST so I can actually SEE the movie.

I'm hoping it'll be brightened up in the transfer.

at least I won't have to wear 3D glasses.

- - - Updated - - -

That is 100% incorrect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back