Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

giphy.gif

Ahhh YEAHHH! Good riddance:thumbsup

Not that anything will change off-course.

So just a rumor? No confirmation of this yet?

Reactions: JPH

Give me one reason why Disney couldn't have put Michael Bay or Jerry Bruckheimer in charge of Star Wars when they bought it from Lucas. Or Zach Snyder. Or a few other people who sound like terrible ideas.

Seriously, why shouldn't we have been worried about that when Lucas sold the show to Disney? The answer is that we should have been. The studios look at SW and see just another huge corporate franchise that exists to make money.

KK made some mistakes but she did a whole lot of things right. It could have been so much worse.

I’ve always seen her potentially leaving in 2020 once the sequel trilogy is complete and future projects set up and announced. Sort of like a Phase II era for new Lucasfilm projects like wat Marvel does. That also provides time to groom a potential succesor.

I just don’t see that happening.

The Mouse is NOT happy with her handling of things, nor the results

I’ve always seen her potentially leaving in 2020 once the sequel trilogy is complete and future projects set up and announced.

So, Filoni?

I think he could be great, question is does his lack of live action experience disqualify him. They seem to be transitioning to more of an Executive Priducer role and maybe multiple projects. Perhaps that’s how they can build up his CV as a viable replacement. If we see him doing and live action EP work that would’ve a great tell.

Filoni definitely has the Star Wars chops to direct the franchise moving forward, but I tend to agree that Kennedy probably isn't going anywhere until Ep IX comes out.

Filoni definitely has the Star Wars chops to direct the franchise moving forward, but I tend to agree that Kennedy probably isn't going anywhere until Ep IX comes out.

Yeah, regardless of why Solo has financially under performed, she has shepherded $4.7B in box office revenue across 4 films, made some tough calls on Rogue One and Solo regarding directors. I would include Treverrow but that happened so early and it’s not clear why that went down. So now there’s only one film left to complete that goes in front of cameras next month. She’s much more likely to see that to fruition before calling it a day. It’s less than 18minths.

It would be ridiculous to have this happen because of Solo. It would be a completely asinine move. The defacto rationalization would be you keep your job until one film doesn't do what it's supposed to, then you're toast. No one would take the job if that's the case.

Now, if she's sick of the fan BS (the out of line stuff, not the legit stuff - or even the legit stuff frankly), that's fine. It is possible to have had enough. She goes back a ways too, so maybe she just wants to retire. Who knows. Hopefully it's that. If this is a disney move due to solo, they should be ashamed.

It would be ridiculous to have this happen because of Solo. It would be a completely asinine move. The defacto rationalization would be you keep your job until one film doesn't do what it's supposed to, then you're toast. No one would take the job if that's the case.

Now, if she's sick of the fan BS (the out of line stuff, not the legit stuff - or even the legit stuff frankly), that's fine. It is possible to have had enough. She goes back a ways too, so maybe she just wants to retire. Who knows. Hopefully it's that. If this is a disney move due to solo, they should be ashamed.

Agreed and she wouldn’t just up and leave in September without a succession plan in place, one that meets with Bob Iger’s approval. She’s a professional, she wouldn’t just bail and leave them scrambling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back