Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

You should really watch The Director and the Jedi. Rian agonized over how to do Luke. And when Mark raized his concerns, Rian began to doubt if he was doing the right thing. But he thought about it and decided that was indeed how he wanted Luke to be. And in the end, even Mark says that he's "Rian's camp". Trying to get Luke right for him was his biggest concern.

If you think that I would take precious time to sit and watch that hack at work then you have learned nothing from our exchanges. From what I`ve read about it, its mainly him running around like a child in a toy store. He is not that complicated a director that I need a lesson. Getting Luke right for HIM was and is the entire problem. The act of a selfish, and ambitious man. Mark was only in his camp after pressure from the people who paid his salary. I can post at least 30 videos of Hamill clearly stating he was nowhere near Johnsons camp.

Last edited:

So Palpatine attacks and kills something like 3 Jedi ( I think ) when they came to arrest him but some how Mace, the sole survivor of the fight, wouldn't be justified in killing him? He clearly explains why it's necessary when Anakin protests. So IMO he's morally and ethically justified to do so. That's not the Dark side, that's a Jedi keeping the peace.
Anakin was right!? He chopped of Windu's arm and helped Palpatine murder the most powerful Jedi in the galaxy, then wasted no time in heading off to mass murder children. Not exactly the best source of Jedi wisdom! ;)
Using the police analogy (though assuming the republic laws are the same as the USA is a big leap) let's break it down.
4 cops go to arrest a known seriel killer in his office, he draws a gun and attacks quickly and easily killing 3 of the cops before his gun is shot out of his hand and he gets cornered. The last cop knows the perp is still armed with a backup gun (lightning), tells him " you are under arrest my lord" and the perp screams "NO! YOU must die!!" opens fire, over and over. The officer is saved by his body armor (lightsaber) and kills the perp after it's clear he refuses to surrender. No that cop wouldn't lose his badge, he'd likely get a medal. It's not a very apt analogy but since it got tossed out there I figured I'd play along.

So Palpatine attacks and kills something like 3 Jedi ( I think ) when they came to arrest him but some how Mace, the sole survivor of the fight, wouldn't be justified in killing him? He clearly explains why it's necessary when Anakin protests. So IMO he's morally and ethically justified to do so. That's not the Dark side, that's a Jedi keeping the peace.
Anakin was right!? He chopped of Windu's arm and helped Palpatine murder the most powerful Jedi in the galaxy, then wasted no time in heading off to mass murder children. Not exactly the best source of Jedi wisdom! ;)
Using the police analogy (though assuming the republic laws are the same as the USA is a big leap) let's break it down.
4 cops go to arrest a known seriel killer in his office, he draws a gun and attacks quickly and easily killing 3 of the cops before his gun is shot out of his hand and he gets cornered. The last cop knows the perp is still armed with a backup gun (lightning), tells him " you are under arrest my lord" and the perp screams "NO! YOU must die!!" opens fire, over and over. The officer is saved by his body armor (lightsaber) and kills the perp after it's clear he refuses to surrender. No that cop wouldn't lose his badge, he'd likely get a medal. It's not a very apt analogy but since it got tossed out there I figured I'd play along.

Still doesn't work like that. Unless the bad guy is killed in the fight, anything else would be considered an execution. Which only the courts have the to power to allow. For instance, in the real world, the gun has to be pointed at you before you are allowed to do anything. In Mace's case, he would have been best to try and wait for Palpatine to attack him again. He could have cut off his hands, but that doesn't look good in the court. Particularly when citizens faith in the Jedi is failing very very fast.

If you think that I would take precious time to sit and watch that hack at work then you have learned nothing from our exchanges. From what I`ve read about it, its mainly him running around like a child in a toy store. He is not that complicated a director that I need a lesson. Getting Luke right for HIM was and is the entire problem. The act of a selfish, and ambitious man. Mark was only in his camp after pressure from the people who paid his salary. I can post at least 30 videos of Hamill clearly stating he was nowhere near Johnsons camp.

He's a Star Wars fan. He made the Star Wars movie he'd like to see. Trying to meet fans expectations always ends up being a very deep dark pit that a filmmaker doesn't want to get stuck in. Look at the Prequels. The fans didn't like what George was doing. But he didn't really care. Heck, George just recently said his version of the sequels would have been a bit more different. And he admitted that fans wouldn't have liked it and that he didn't care.

Nicholas Meyer of Star Trek fame was once asked how he made a movie that fans liked so much. And he told the man, that he didn't. He said the fans really don't matter when it comes to making creative decisions. He said that he made a film that he would like.

If you don't like the new Star Wars movies, become a filmmaker and make one yourself. J.J., Gareth, Rian, and Ron have all indicated that Star Wars was one of the reasons that they became film directors in the first place.

Who is this "we"? I loved TFA and most people I know did too. TLJ, on the other hand, was the 2nd biggest disappointment I've ever had in a movie theater after Indy 4.

Pretty sure JPH was saying that also , regarding TLJ and the Hack responsible for it ! :angel ... happy to be corrected if I’m mistaken .

:cheersGed

Last edited by a moderator:

He's a Star Wars fan. He made the Star Wars movie he'd like to see. Trying to meet fans expectations always ends up being a very deep dark pit that a filmmaker doesn't want to get stuck in. Look at the Prequels. The fans didn't like what George was doing. But he didn't really care. Heck, George just recently said his version of the sequels would have been a bit more different. And he admitted that fans wouldn't have liked it and that he didn't care.

Nicholas Meyer of Star Trek fame was once asked how he made a movie that fans liked so much. And he told the man, that he didn't. He said the fans really don't matter when it comes to making creative decisions. He said that he made a film that he would like.

If you don't like the new Star Wars movies, become a filmmaker and make one yourself. J.J., Gareth, Rian, and Ron have all indicated that Star Wars was one of the reasons that they became film directors in the first place.

Please stop using George Lucas as a deflection and or justification for the utter failing`s of Johnson, its hollow and annoying.

As for.. "If you don't like the new Star Wars movies, become a filmmaker and make one yourself" That`s school yard stuff and a sign of way over reaching, I`m not in the film making business. I only watch them.

Last edited:

It was made more than obvious that Palpatine was in control of the Senate and Courts anyway so with that combined with your points makes his points, pointless.

Please stop using George Lucas as a deflection and or justification for the utter failing`s of Johnson, its hollow and annoying.

As for.. "If you don't like the new Star Wars movies, become a filmmaker and make one yourself" That`s school yard stuff and a sign of way over reaching, I`m not in the film making business. I only watch them.

I don't think your getting where I'm going with this. And that's because I'm doing a lousy job of explaining myself. And the limitations of talking via fourm posts.

I'll give it one more stab.

And why not at least write down your dream Star Wars movie. Imagine you given the burden of creating the next film. After all since George sold Lucasfilm, all the movies we've gotten have been nothing more than fan films.

I don't think your getting where I'm going with this. And that's because I'm doing a lousy job of explaining myself. And the limitations of talking via fourm posts.

I'll give it one more stab.

And why not at least write down your dream Star Wars movie. Imagine you given the burden of creating the next film. After all since George sold Lucasfilm, all the movies we've gotten have been nothing more than fan films.

Now you want me to do homework to try and get a better grip on the points you are trying to make.:lol I`m completely comfortable with where I`m at in regards to Star Wars thank you very much, hoping you are the same. Johnson made a terrible, terrible Star Wars movie IMHO so please, lets leave it at that.

Still doesn't work like that. Unless the bad guy is killed in the fight, anything else would be considered an execution. Which only the courts have the to power to allow. For instance, in the real world, the gun has to be pointed at you before you are allowed to do anything. In Mace's case, he would have been best to try and wait for Palpatine to attack him again. He could have cut off his hands, but that doesn't look good in the court. Particularly when citizens faith in the Jedi is failing very very fast.
That's why the analogy is poor to begin with. Palpatine can't be disarmed at all. Your free to view things through a black and white perspective but the world is filled with grey. That all or nothing attitude seems to be what brought down the Jedi order in the PT. I watched that scene on YouTube and I don't see any way Mace could have lived without Palpatine dying.

In a nut shell. The fact that Johnson was so desperate to make his mark in the big time and be the one to destroy Luke in his movie is also more than obvious to me.

Beyond obvious, even for people who were ware of just a fraction of Hamill's concerns.

Then Johnson does the whoreish pandering claiming he spent hours with Carrie. Really? I guess it would take a lot of convincing to look concerned, mournful when you pissed away your bombers. As if any of these people showed a flicker of military knowledge...even Hux! And let's not forget the emotions that Carrie poured out while in a coma for most of the movie. *sigh*

Who is this "we"? I loved TFA and most people I know did too. TLJ, on the other hand, was the 2nd biggest disappointment I've ever had in a movie theater after Indy 4.

Brent, I was entertained by TFA. Didn't love it, but I was happy that Star Wars was back. TFA was very flawed, but I didn't mind.

The *we* I am referring to is the fans. TFA had a pretty big opening. So, when someone claims fans were just looking to be upset, the advanced ticket sales and opening preach otherwise. I haven't seen Solo...but I probably won't. The boy wanted to fly was Peter Pan. Solo was an imperial who didn't kill a wookie after being ordered to do so.

A lot of people here don't actually know what a hack director is. A hack is someone who toes the party line, does everything the studio wants, has no original ideas and injects no personality into the film. Whatever else RJ is, he's not a hack.

This post deserves much more than a "like"

You don't think he pandered to a certain producer? Sounds kind of hackish to me and doing so seems to have earned him his own trilogy (which apparently takes place in a different galaxy further away?? WTF??)
This guy couldn't tell a good story in the existing SW universe to save his life.

A lot of people here don't actually know what a hack director is. A hack is someone who toes the party line, does everything the studio wants, has no original ideas and injects no personality into the film. Whatever else RJ is, he's not a hack.

hack [hak]
noun
A person, as an artist or writer, who exploits, for money, his or her creative ability or training in the production of dull, unimaginative, and trite work; one who produces banal and mediocre work in the hope of gaining commercial success in the arts: As a painter, he was little more than a hack.

So, what would you call a director who intentionally creates a product designed to stand out by being willfully incorrect? Not shocking in a way that contributes to the story, but shocking in an effort to make a name for himself. Seeking negative attention over actually producing a legitimate product that fans of a franchise might appreciate? And then complaining when people don't love their miscarriage.

Last edited by a moderator:

By your own definitions, RJ is not a hack. The complaints seem to be that Johnson had is own strong ideas where he wanted to go with the story and didn't care a jot for Star Wars lore or its fans. A hack is someone who does a job of work for a pay check with no investment in the property. If RJ were a hack he would have produced a by the numbers SW movie, which probably would have gone down well with the fans and improved his standing to get more hack work. I didn't particularly care for TLJ myself, but the fact that Johnson took huge risks with the movie (which have failed to pay off) makes him the antithesis of a hack. You can't have it both ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back