Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

For some fun in this dead-horse thread...

im not a Finn fan, but Boyega is a all around cool guy I’ve followed on social media since TFA...

DD1A6007-B7E4-4DA9-AF89-F3B3A91A3C9C.jpeg

Always love seeing stuff like this. Don’t know if it’s old or not, just came up in a feed.

True, I forgot you mentioned the lounge music of Canto Bight in relation to TLJ. :lol
Which actually is a fun spaced out track. But sounds like bringing Lapti Nek as a standout from ROTJ.
I do actually like the new themes, Rey’s Kylo’s, Resistance march, but what were new themes in TLJ that were not reworks of previous ones?

There's the new sweeping theme for Luke and Rey. And couple of amazing musical cues when; the Resistance bombers fly into battle, Holdo's maneuver, and everything between Luke and Kylo.

I've noticed that most Star Wars fans hold the OT as the gold standard. But I have friends who I recently introduced to Star Wars, and while I started them with OT. They all prefer the PT or ST, movies, music, characters and so on.

So when I hear people lamenting, that 'it's not as good as the OT'. Of course it's not, and it never will. The new films will never ever give you that same experience or feeling you got watching the originals. Dare I say, it's scientifically impossible. And keep in mind for those out there who are being introduced to Star Wars with the Sequel trilogy. That is going to be their gold standard. That will be the Star Wars that they compare all else to.

Ah the nostalgia defense, did you ever think that maybe your friends just have crappy taste in movies?

If you had to introduce them to Star Wars in the first place then they probably just aren't the kind of people that would appreciate the originals for what they are, i had the same thing when introducing my girlfriend to them. She only watched cheap straight to DVD scary movies and couldn't understand why anybody would watch these "ancient" movies:facepalm

The originals are classics for a reason, people have loved them for 40 years for a reason. Nobody will love or even remember The Last Jedi in 40 years.

Ah the nostalgia defense, did you ever think that maybe your friends just have crappy taste in movies?

If you had to introduce them to Star Wars in the first place then they probably just aren't the kind of people that would appreciate the originals for what they are, i had the same thing when introducing my girlfriend to them. She only watched cheap straight to DVD scary movies and couldn't understand why anybody would watch these "ancient" movies:facepalm

The originals are classics for a reason, people have loved them for 40 years for a reason. Nobody will love or even remember The Last Jedi in 40 years.

But whole am I to say they have a crappy taste in films? Should I, a fallible human being, tell another fallible human being that the movies they like stink?

How a person views their entertainment, is based upon previous forms of entertainment. As an example. I love the 1959 Ben-Hur, I think it's the best version, and probably one of the best, if not the best film ever made. However someone who had seen the 1925 version first, would probably say the same thing. And the two of us could argue which is better until the end of the world. It's not necessarily nostalgia,(though it plays a part) but past experiences, which serve to form our opinions, when it comes to entertainment. This is why adaptations of popular books or games is so hard to right. For the viewer of an adaptation, who's read the book first, the book will always be better.

Here's a couple more examples. I love Ghost in the Shell, but I've never read the comic, nor watched the anime. Those who had, disliked movie greatly.
I dislike Man of Steel, my girlfriend loves it. I dislike it, because I was introduced to Superman with the Christopher Reeve version, she wasn't. To her Henry Cavill is Superman.

But whole am I to say they have a crappy taste in films? Should I, a fallible human being, tell another fallible human being that the movies they like stink?

How a person views their entertainment, is based upon previous forms of entertainment. As an example. I love the 1959 Ben-Hur, I think it's the best version, and probably one of the best, if not the best film ever made. However someone who had seen the 1925 version first, would probably say the same thing. And the two of us could argue which is better until the end of the world. It's not necessarily nostalgia,(though it plays a part) but past experiences, which serve to form our opinions, when it comes to entertainment. This is why adaptations of popular books or games is so hard to right. For the viewer of an adaptation, who's read the book first, the book will always be better.

Here's a couple more examples. I love Ghost in the Shell, but I've never read the comic, nor watched the anime. Those who had, disliked movie greatly.
I dislike Man of Steel, my girlfriend loves it. I dislike it, because I was introduced to Superman with the Christopher Reeve version, she wasn't. To her Henry Cavill is Superman.

I grew up with Christopher Reeve as superman and i did in-fact like Man of Steel, in my view it all comes down to objectivity. Most people completely lack the ability to view things they don't necessarily like objectively. You don't need to like fantasy to be able to see that The Lord of the Rings are a modern cinematic masterpiece despite their many flaws, same with the original Star Wars movies. The only way someone can dismiss these movies as "bad" is if they let their own bias influence their view of reality.

I absolutely loathe Tarantino films and think he's an overrated hack that creates the most basic bargain bin movies, however i am objective enough to see that what his movies do, they do very well for their intended audience and can appreciate them for what they are.

I don't hate The Last Jedi for being a Star Wars movie that i'm not accustomed to, i hate it because it's just a terrible movie.

Like they say, there's no accounting for taste.

I grew up with Christopher Reeve as superman and i did in-fact like Man of Steel, in my view it all comes down to objectivity. Most people completely lack the ability to view things they don't necessarily like objectively. You don't need to like fantasy to be able to see that The Lord of the Rings are a modern cinematic masterpiece despite their many flaws, same with the original Star Wars movies. The only way someone can dismiss these movies as "bad" is if they let their own bias influence their view of reality.

I absolutely loathe Tarantino films and think he's an overrated hack that creates the most basic bargain bin movies, however i am objective enough to see that what his movies do, they do very well for their intended audience and can appreciate them for what they are.

I don't hate The Last Jedi for being a Star Wars movie that i'm not accustomed to, i hate it because it's just a terrible movie.

Like they say, there's no accounting for taste.

The Last Jedi being a terrible movie is your opinion, and not an objective fact. This very discussion is proof of that. You think The Last Jedi is a terrible film, I think it's a good film, and some would say it's a great, excellent, and even brilliant film.

Now I've heard people say that TLJ is terrible because it has, for instance bad editing, or pacing. I can't argue with them as I don't know the technical and scientific ins and outs of film editing. But I do know when a film feels like it flows well, and when it feels like it was edited well. And TLJ in no way feels disjointed to me. But that's how art works, one loves it, and another hates it. We can try and say that objectively this bad or this good, but with so many different and diverse people on the planet, it's very hard to do. It's not like murder, where we could all agree that, objectively murder is very bad and wrong.

Granted, we're a limited audience - however, we ARE the targeted audience and i'd wager the dislikes here outweigh the likes - on a per user base, at at least 8-1, if not more.

To me, that would seem to be 'missing the target audience'. Seems as if the point was simply to **** off the established fan base. I mean, who pays 250M to make a movie to **** off the target audience? TFA was directed at the existing fans with what it pulled from the OT. You don't bring them in only to **** them off. It makes no business sense. If the move is to bring in new fans, great, but it's a net loss when you bring a few new ones and lose a bunch of existing ones.

Granted, we're a limited audience - however, we ARE the targeted audience and i'd wager the dislikes here outweigh the likes - on a per user base, at at least 8-1, if not more.

To me, that would seem to be 'missing the target audience'. Seems as if the point was simply to **** off the established fan base. I mean, who pays 250M to make a movie to **** off the target audience? TFA was directed at the existing fans with what it pulled from the OT. You don't bring them in only to **** them off. It makes no business sense. If the move is to bring in new fans, great, but it's a net loss when you bring a few new ones and lose a bunch of existing ones.

Look at the interviews before TLJ came out. They were all talking about how unexpected and thrilling TLJ was, and hoped the fans would find it that way as well. They wanted to create something truly fun and exciting, they were hoping the fans would just love being surprised. But instead the fans just screamed..........turns out, a group of them didn't like being surprised. I loved TLJ because it surprised me. I remember watching as Rey handed the lightsaber over to Luke. My mind running through all the ideas and guesses of what I thought would happen. And quickly drawing the conclusion that they were all cheesy and lame. Then suddenly Luke flings the lightsaber! "Whoa! Didn't see that coming. Okay then let's see how this pans out!"

Unlike many fans, who gave up on the movie right there, that scene drew me in, I wanted to desperately know what happened to Luke, that would cause him to do that. I was like Rey, pleading, questioning, hopeful.

Look at the interviews before TLJ came out. They were all talking about how unexpected and thrilling TLJ was, and hoped the fans would find it that way as well. They wanted to create something truly fun and exciting, they were hoping the fans would just love being surprised. But instead the fans just screamed..........turns out, a group of them didn't like being surprised. I loved TLJ because it surprised me. I remember watching as Rey handed the lightsaber over to Luke. My mind running through all the ideas and guesses of what I thought would happen. And quickly drawing the conclusion that they were all cheesy and lame. Then suddenly Luke flings the lightsaber! "Whoa! Didn't see that coming. Okay then let's see how this pans out!"

Unlike many fans, who gave up on the movie right there, that scene drew me in, I wanted to desperately know what happened to Luke, that would cause him to do that. I was like Rey, pleading, questioning, hopeful.

Well in any case you sure found out what happened to Luke, turns out he became a nihilistic "feminine hygiene product" nozzle just like Rian Johnson.

Well in any case you sure found out what happened to Luke, turns out he became a nihilistic "feminine hygiene product" nozzle just like Rian Johnson.

Nihilistic, Luke is not.

Luke's has exiled himself in order to bring an end to a Jedi, so that the Light will arise from another source. His exile is not something he wants to do, but something he feels needs to be done.

Well the film straight after actually lost them up to $100 million. You may want to think through your sarcasm next time.

The days of thinking Star Wars is bullet proof and can be subverted are over. The real boss is now calling the shots. Enjoy your indie version Star Wars, there will never be another.

Last edited:

Nihilistic, Luke is not.

Luke's has exiled himself in order to bring an end to a Jedi, so that the Light will arise from another source. His exile is not something he wants to do, but something he feels needs to be done.

When Luke declares that "it's time for the Jedi to end" and he declares that he "just came here (to Ach-To) to die." That is the very definition of nihilism. `

As hard as Rian Johnson tried to "subvert expectations" , he conveniently used the very same tropes he openly mocked to tell his story. Luke spends the entire movie mocking the Jedi and their teachings, slandering the name of his mentor (Kenobi), and refusing to train a student who shows up with his old lightsaber, even going so far as to be rude to her to the point that she leaves, only to use the Force so hard that it literally almost kills him. You can't have it both ways. Either it's a straight out parody or the material is treated with SOME dignity, otherwise most people have a hard time caring at all.

Last edited:

When Luke declares that "it's time for the Jedi to end" and he declares that he "just came here (to Ach-To) to die." That is the very definition of nihilism. `

As hard as Rian Johnson tried to "subvert expectations" , he conveniently used the very same tropes he openly mocked to tell his story. Luke spends the entire movie mocking the Jedi and their teachings, slandering the name of his mentor (Kenobi), and refusing to train a student who shows up with his old lightsaber, even going so far as to be rude to her to the point that she leaves, only to use the Force so hard that it literally almost kills him. You can't have it both ways. Either it's a straight out parody or the material is treated with SOME dignity, otherwise most people have a hard time caring at all.

Well said, I don’t care anymore even after being a hard core Star Wars fan since the original came out.

Thank you. I don't care what they do with it anymore either. I'm just sick and tired of the lame excuses for bad writing.

The Light DID come from another source. Rey was that source (based on what was set up in TFA). Having Luke refuse to teach her only to show up in the end is just a waste of the audience's time. They devote most of the film to this only to have the same outcome in the end. Luke could have just showed up and cleaned up his mess from the beginning but Rian didn't know how to write him into the story without overshadowing Rey because she is a weakly structured character from a writing standpoint. Luke even made fun of the fact that he would show up and "face Kylo Ren with a lasersword" (said sarcastically mind you) and then he does EXACTLY that and it just shows the level of contempt for our collective intelligence.

It's like Johnson was saying "I'm going to make fun of the very thing that fans actually wanted to see, but when I do it I will still expect them to care about it by then too." See what I mean by you can't have it both ways? Either you respect the material or you don't. You can't make fun of it and then USE it to manipulate your audience into caring when we are TOLD that we shouldn't.

Nihilism- the rejection of all religious and moral principles, often in the belief that life is meaningless

Luke exiled himself to bring an end to the Jedi, what he believed was a failed husk of a religion. Why did he do this?

For a thousand of generations there had been war after war between the Jedi and Sith. This finally came to an end over Endor. The Sith were finally defeated. But the Dark Side wasn't, and unsurprisingly it rose again, and from ranks of the Jedi......again. And once again the galaxy had war. And so Luke decided, and not easily, that the best hope for the galaxy was for him and the Jedi to end. He pushes his x-wing into the sea, and cuts himself from the Force, to prevent himself from returning or being found.

But when Rey shows up and hears of Han's death, he begins to question his decisions. Then R2 gives him a guilt trip, and he decides to show Rey why the Jedi need to end, and hopes that she will understand and return. And in the process, he eventually reconnects with the Force, and feeling his sisters pain. He decides that he does need to return, but he finds Rey Force connecting with Kylo, which simply reinforces his previous decision to stay on that island.

For Luke to be nihilistic he would have to be someone who believes that life has no value, that nothing is real, everything is meaningless. Doctor Strange would be considered a nihilistic person "We are made of matter and nothing more. You're just another tiny, momentary speck in an indifferent universe." If Luke was simply hiding on that island out his own selfish reason, perhaps he could be considered nihilistic. But he's not, he is doing what he considers the most selfless thing possible, to doing the one thing he couldn't do in ESB......that is not getting involved. For if he were to return, would it help? Or would it perpetuate the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back