Lifecasting but no goop, less time and cheap

Scanning is nothing new, but I haven’t seen any detailed tutorials on any of the various processes, so thanks for that!

Keep in mind, the “goop” still has its place in the industry, and I don’t see scanning ever completely taking that spot.
That being said, I was absolutely amazed to see just how much a huge shop like Ironhead for example, relies on scans and prints for anything from armor to cowls and body suits.. I believe the “goopcasts” are still standard for makeups. ;)

Interesting that you worked on Predator. Had a few scan issues there, huh?
I was at ADI shortly after all the stuff was sent over that way. Bummer about how certain pieces fit.

Don't get me wrong I agree goop is still valid but I see a lot of people spending a ton of money trying to get the perfect head cast when all they need is a general shape. This is the quick easy way to do this. And yes I have been 3dscanning for at least 10-12 years, so nothing new there, but like you said no one really shows the process. The added bonus is that 10-12 years ago I would spend 10-30K for scanners. Now I spend a couple hundred...

I was in SPFX in predator and I did no scanning for that. I helped design and build car cannons, car flippers, alien widgets, blind drivers. Art and Props did a amazing job on the scans from the data I saw. I did not hear of any scan issues but I was more focused on keeping the stunt guys and actors alive when we were blowing things up etc :) So I might have missed any background drama

now you do know you opened a can of worms.... anyone that LOVES predator "cough cough" is gonna want to know if you have saved any behind the scenes/production pictures etc of your work on this film... :ninja

Yes but if I would like to work on another movie, my bosses need to trust me, then I cannot share anything. I love my job, and unfortunately for you that means I am not sharing :) Sorry! Some day if we ever meet in person ask me to show you something and I will, but nothing over the internet

Last edited:
Lifecasting with no goop isn’t lifecasting, that’s the only point I was trying to make.
Yes, as you said, scanning is great for a general head shape.

Ahhh gotcha.
The terms are always a bit mixed up. When someone says Special Effects I just usually (wrongly) assume it’s leaning towards the Special Make-up Effects category, but even that term is inaccurate because I’ve seen designers, painters, and prop builders labeled under the term as well.

No drama about it. As is I would say common knowledge from the trailer there is only one Bio helmet seen, but more than one Predator. I’m referring to the issue of how the bio fits as seen from the “leaked” photos. I am under an NDA myself so what I assume I can say is very limited. I will say that the heads that ADI delivered looked fantastic.

Yes the heads, weapons, helmets were bloody amazing! There are some pretty cool surprises as well that I am dying to tell people about but it will have to wait till the movie is out.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back