The Star Wars Q and A.

What type of Wolfman is Lak Sivrak

Answer: Shistavanen. (Some interesting back story on him: a creation of Rick Baker's, used during pick-up shots back in L.A., after principal had wrapped in England. Rick was enlisted because George wanted more creatures, and Stuart Freeborn had taken ill. Joe Johnston recommended Rick, who'd worked on King Kong, and already had a bunch of aliens in his basement, such as Figrin D'An and the Model Nodes. Rick claims he never liked this wolfman creature, and was shocked George used it, instead of much better creatures he had. My take? I think Rick's a little embarrassed by Lak, because he has such an obviously static mouth. And looks totally fake, inhabiting the same cantina as the far more realistic Chewbacca, complete with a fully articulated mouth and lip curl. Did Rick really have better creatures that George passed on? I doubt it. Rick was a rising star, but green, and no match for the veteran master, Stuart Freeborn.)

Question: Stuart Freeborn created Yoda, as well, and in doing so, he used two humans as his models for the head/face of the Jedi master. Who are they?

Bonus points if you can say which parts of the head/face each person inspired.

Last edited:
Question: Stuart Freeborn created Yoda, as well, and in doing so, he used two humans as his models for the head/face of the Jedi master. Who are they?

Bonus points if you can say which parts of the head/face each person inspired.

Einstein and himself.

What was Yoda´s name in the first draft of ESB?

IIRC the eyes were Albert and the mouth area was Stu´s? See, my SW knowledge does have its blank spots...

Don't sweat it, Daddy O. No one's SWIQ is perfect....not even mine. ;)

Here's how Yoda was created. Stuart's told the story many times, to many people, but I was blessed to hear it straight from the man himself, during one of my stays at his house in England.

George came to Stuart and said, "I need you to make a puppet of a very important character. I want him to be small, funny looking, old, from another world, and very intelligent.". Stuart asked when he needed him by, and George replied, "Right away.". So, feeling crunched for time, Stuart took notice of a bust sculpture he'd made of himself, and thought, "Well, I'm small and funny-looking. I may as well use this. But I don't look very intelligent. Hmmmm.". Later that night, to search for some inspiration, Stuart sifted through some portraits of famous people he had collected, which he was using for another job he was working on, unrelated to The Empire Strikes Back. Marilyn Monroe, Elvis Presley, Liz Taylor...and when he got to the portrait of Einstein, he thought, "Now that's an intelligent being!". And decided that it was the deep ridges in Einstein's forehead, that conveyed the man's extraordinary intelligence. So he added the ridges to his sculpture, and threw on some big pointy ears to make the character look other-worldly, sticking them out to the sides to be funny-looking, and voila...Yoda was born! Stuart unveiled the clay sculpture for George the next morning, and George said, "That's him.".

StuartandGrant2006 2bw2b.jpg

The Wook

Last edited:
Himself and Albert Einstein! I think the eyes were Einstein and forehead and chin were his.

Keeping with the making of theme, in the exterior mynock scene in ESB, what did they cover the sound stage floor with beneath the Falcon?

- - - Updated - - -

Himself and Albert Einstein! I think the eyes were Einstein and forehead and chin were his.

Keeping with the making of theme, in the exterior mynock scene in ESB, what did they cover the sound stage floor with beneath the Falcon?

edit- Sorry, I was too late!

Minch (?)

What language did the Lars' require Threepio to speak?

Technically, it was two languages.

1. He asked if Threepio could speak Bocce.

2. But what he really needed was a droid who understood the binary language of moisture vaporators.

We all know that the Graflex 3-Cell Flashgun formed the basis for Luke Skywalker's first lightsabre. However, for some photo shoots in the late 70s and early 80s, and for the Holiday Special, Luke used yet another lightsabre.

What was the make and model of the flashgun used, and what was it used for in the actual films?

Last edited:
Technically, it was two languages.

1. He asked if Threepio could speak Bocce.

2. But what he really needed was a droid who understood the binary language of moisture vaporators.

We all know that the Graflex 3-Cell Flashgun formed the basis for Luke Skywalker's first lightsabre. However, for some photo shoots in the late 70s and early 80s, and for the Holiday Special, Luke used yet another lightsabre.

What was the make and model of the flashgun used, and what was it used for in the actual films?

Graflite, right? Used on the X-Wing dashboard?

Cell 2187, Fin’s trooper number FN-2187 and also related to Lucas’s past from a movie short he liked in college.

Who takes over the call sign Red Five during the Battle of Endor

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back