Bandai 1/12th R2-D2

Antsnest

Sr Member
Had this one languishing in "90% finished hell" for 18 months, finally had the oompf to finish him off this weekend!
These are great little kits, but tolerances are so tight between snap-fit pieces and extra layer of paint really screws things up! The plastic is very brittle too - one of the leg hoses was broken on the sprue, and I broke another trying to fit it in place, so junked them all and replaced them with some 15A fuse wire.
I went for a slightly grubby appearance rather than showroom-clean.
09c3WmJ.jpg

H9xSagk.jpg

TsHOnNZ.jpg

pWRU4iO.jpg

eTjCWC9.jpg

Great job! Your R2 looks fantastic. Love the weathering and paint job. I have these kits and love them. I took the R2 with BB-8 and slightly modified him to represent his Clone Wars appearance and plan on turning the R5 droid in to C4 and will purchase another R2/R5 kit for QT and BZ conversion to honor the awesome D'Squad story arc.

Great job, antsnest. I've built a couple of these kits and am starting a third for a friend. If you don't mind sharing, what paint did you use for the silver/aluminum dome?
Also, excellent idea for the hoses. Will be much more durable down the road.

Thanks guys - I can't remember what silver I used now - I have a bunch from different manufacturers, but it may have been a Coat d'Arms or Darkstar Molten Metals - it was acrylic though. The blue was Vallejo Model Air metallic blue.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back